• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello all,
    We are buying property and wanting to build a barndominium.(probably in Alabama, but havent decided for sure yet.)
    I will be doing the inside finishing, electrical, plumbing, etc, but I am looking for recommendations for a builder.
    Up in MCDAVID, Triple A Steel was 1/2 a mile from me but they are out of business.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pole barn/steel barn builder that also includes the slab?
    Thank in advance.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I'm getting ready to do the same thing. ( in bama) 20 ac.
    20230317_111716.jpg
    20230317_111707.jpg
    Have a family contractor friend that's going to build ours. I'll post it up as soon as they get started, should be within a week or 2. 40x60. Already got the septic, well and power in. Paid cash. Paying cash for the rest. Living on property. I need to do a post on the whole thing.
    1000004119.jpg
    image000003.jpg

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'm getting ready to do the same thing. ( in bama) 20 ac. View attachment 217957 View attachment 217958 Have a family contractor friend that's going to build ours. I'll post it up as soon as they get started, should be within a week or 2. 40x60. Already got the septic, well and power in. Paid cash. Paying cash for the rest. Living on property. I need to do a post on the whole thing. View attachment 217959 View attachment 217960
    Awesome. What was the well cost and septic? Also, how far is your power line run? (the spot where looking at is 1,200 ft, idk how much this will cost to get poles in.)

Im in FL now, but the property is in AL. We will be working on our setup all summer. Pretty similar to your homestead there.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    " I gotta guy" lol. Well 2 actually. Septic 3,200. Well 5,400. Cash.
    Was going to use county water but would have to have 2050 feet of pipe. Then your stuck with whatever crap treated( maybe) water. Cost of just the pipe 1 inch was 3,600 plus meter, burying the pipe and another bill every month. Nope.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ok, I like the well idea instead of running a water main. Does he (well guy) do work over near Atmore? Id be paying cash for all this also.
    Dallas Drilling out of Summerdale. A1 guys. They do work up there. Ya may have to wait for them to get 2-3 jobs up that way. Pump they installed does 20 gal a minute. Plenty to run house and 2 out buildings.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    FYI - it is worth the money to have another deep well on the property, even if it is just for livestock.

All kinds of stuff can happen. My brother had one of his wells struck by lightening twice, get clogged from too much soot, and some other stuff. If he did not have the second well then he would have been SOL for weeks at a time.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    FYI - it is worth the money to have another deep well on the property, even if it is just for livestock.

All kinds of stuff can happen. My brother had one of his wells struck by lightening twice, get clogged from too much soot, and some other stuff. If he did not have the second well then he would have been SOL for weeks at a time.
    Thanks for the advice. Im already pushing my luck having my wife and two kids waiting for a building on property to be finished. No water would be the last straw for them.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    " I gotta guy" lol. Well 2 actually. Septic 3,200. Well 5,400. Cash.
    Was going to use county water but would have to have 2050 feet of pipe. Then your stuck with whatever crap treated( maybe) water. Cost of just the pipe 1 inch was 3,600 plus meter, burying the pipe and another bill every month. Nope.
    Is your power line run over 2k feet also? How much did the power company charge to run line and add poles?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Oh, crap. Hit water at 42 feet, went down to 100. Sandy soil. Had ultra fine sand at the end. Pump is submersible type. Makes the best coffee!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Is your power line run over 2k feet also? How much did the power company charge to run line and add poles?
    Used Southern pines co-op. 3 poles. No charge. They will run it underground to the house for $440. Bought a temp pole for $180 from them.

Stevenattsu

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had one built in your area not to long ago. Several builders in the area, I went to Steve's and asked if anyone in their congregation built barns and they gave me a list. EREC is easy to deal with for power and water. They ran power about 400 yards for me and I ran the pipe from the road

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Almost finished building our barndominium in Walton county. We went with a prefab 52x72x16 metal building rated for 170 mph by the State of Florida from Tubular Building Systems out of Lake City FL. TBS delivers and assembles the barn. We are doing the 1100+ sq ft residential part mostly on our own. Saves money but takes forever. Since we have a 30k pound RV our slab is 6" thick with both steel and fiber reinforcement and uses 4k psi concrete. Slab was poured September 2021 and building was built March 2022. Custom triple layer impact and insulated 10x10 (2) and 14x14 barn doors were installed in July 2022. HVAC was installed until Dec 2022. Most things took much longer than normal cause we were doing them in 2021-2022 and Florida is a 66k sq mile construction zone. Really hard to get any trades to show up. Anyway, our costs are listed below:

300' underground Power line at $16 per foot = $4,800
    Septic tank = $4500
    Water Well with AC power $5000
    Agricultural Water Well with Solar power = $9000
    900' lime rock Driveway with 5 culverts = $5000
    Slab = $40k
    Barn = $48k
    Upgraded impact windows = $3k
    Barn Doors with openers installed = $18k
    3" closed cell spray foam insulation on ceiling and all walls = $28k
    Wiring and lights = $4k
    Plumbing for 2 baths, kitchen and outdoor sink = $10k
    HVAC (2 ton for residence and 4 ton for the open barn) = $14k
    Lumber, plywood and flooring for second floor for the residence = $8k
    Drywall material = $2k
    Drywall labor = $5k
    Tile = $6k
    Paint = $2k
    8 solid wood doors = $3k
    Bathroom fixtures = $3k
    Kitchen cabinets = not there yet

It adds up quickly but would be more if I hired out all of the labor. A true pole barn would be much cheaper but none of the builders could tell me how much wind they could take. For reference on the spray foam insulation value, we lost power the night it got down to 16 degrees (6 deg windchill) and the barn never went below 63 degrees. However, closed cell foam does not reduce sound at all and it gets stupid loud during heavy rain. For that reason we went with 5/8 drywall, 3/4" plywood barn side walls, 3/4" upstairs flooring and fiberglass insulation in all of the walls and ceiling. Really helps with the noise level.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• New Barn March 2022.jpg
      New Barn March 2022.jpg
      473.1 KB · Views: 60
    • New Barn inside March 2022.jpg
      New Barn inside March 2022.jpg
      472.3 KB · Views: 55

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Almost finished building our barndominium in Walton county. We went with a prefab 52x72x16 metal building rated for 170 mph by the State of Florida from Tubular Building Systems out of Lake City FL. TBS delivers and assembles the barn. We are doing the 1100+ sq ft residential part mostly on our own. Saves money but takes forever. Since we have a 30k pound RV our slab is 6" thick with both steel and fiber reinforcement and uses 4k psi concrete. Slab was poured September 2021 and building was built March 2022. Custom triple layer impact and insulated 10x10 (2) and 14x14 barn doors were installed in July 2022. HVAC was installed until Dec 2022. Most things took much longer than normal cause we were doing them in 2021-2022 and Florida is a 66k sq mile construction zone. Really hard to get any trades to show up. Anyway, our costs are listed below:

300' underground Power line at $16 per foot = $4,800
    Septic tank = $4500
    Water Well with AC power $5000
    Agricultural Water Well with Solar power = $9000
    900' lime rock Driveway with 5 culverts = $5000
    Slab = $40k
    Barn = $48k
    Upgraded impact windows = $3k
    Barn Doors with openers installed = $18k
    3" closed cell spray foam insulation on ceiling and all walls = $28k
    Wiring and lights = $4k
    Plumbing for 2 baths, kitchen and outdoor sink = $10k
    HVAC (2 ton for residence and 4 ton for the open barn) = $14k
    Lumber, plywood and flooring for second floor for the residence = $8k
    Drywall material = $2k
    Drywall labor = $5k
    Tile = $6k
    Paint = $2k
    8 solid wood doors = $3k
    Bathroom fixtures = $3k
    Kitchen cabinets = not there yet

It adds up quickly but would be more if I hired out all of the labor. A true pole barn would be much cheaper but none of the builders could tell me how much wind they could take. For reference on the spray foam insulation value, we lost power the night it got down to 16 degrees (6 deg windchill) and the barn never went below 63 degrees. However, closed cell foam does not reduce sound at all and it gets stupid loud during heavy rain. For that reason we went with 5/8 drywall, 3/4" plywood barn side walls, 3/4" upstairs flooring and fiberglass insulation in all of the walls and ceiling. Really helps with the noise level.

Hope this helps.
    Awesome details. I called Steve Heibert and he said AAA is still in business and used red I beam steel so I called them to get a quote for my temporary barndo...30x30. Il update with a quote.

fisheadgib

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We had Camp 11 Barns build our hay barn a few years ago and we are very happy with their work. They're out of Florala and they work all over north Florida, Alabama, and I think even Georgia. I got several bids and theirs was substantially lower than any of the others and they did great work to boot. The 24x48 barn and a 12x24 pole barn were a little over 13,000. The next lowest bid was around 18,000. They were fast too, they did it all in a weekend.

Top Bottom