• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The grandsons said I had to quit shooting in the back-field because of finding a fairly new-born fawn the last time we went around back to practice. What they don't know is that every year there are one or two who hide back there till they are big enough to roam around and feed with momma. Hopefully I can get one of the pictures I took to post.http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/images/smilies/frusty.gif

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Maybe this time. Nope I've never had an issue posting a pic until now. I'll have to figure out what I'm doing wrong this time.

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks dirtyharry resizing did the trick. My youngest Grandson was on the tractor with me and he's the one who saw momma leaving the clearing but this little one wasn't spotted till it moved when I had gotten to within about 30 yards. When it moved it could barely walk and only went to the brush line before it laid back down then I had to convince my Grandson not to try and pet it. We drove the tractor to the house and back to get the camera and it was still laying in the same spot.

Last edited:

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was watching Jeff Corwins experience on tv yesterday morning. Their best defense at such a young age is to lay motionless as low to the ground as possible to avoid being the target of a predator, until a few days after birth at which time it will be strong enough to flee for defense.

pretty lil thing

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice, I could never figure how the white spots help camoflague them, seems to make them stick out more.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice, I could never figure how the white spots help camoflague them, seems to make them stick out more.

Same reason you don't wear a solid color to hunt them. It's all about breaking up the outline. In the woods on a brown woods floor, those spots help break up their outline to a animal predator. Remember, our eyes work a little different too compared to a typical fawn predator.

Attachments

• camouflaged_white-tailed_deer_fawn_1S6498.jpg
      camouflaged_white-tailed_deer_fawn_1S6498.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 146
    • deer_0384.jpg
      deer_0384.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 140
    Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was watching Jeff Corwins experience on tv yesterday morning. Their best defense at such a young age is to lay motionless as low to the ground as possible to avoid being the target of a predator, until a few days after birth at which time it will be strong enough to flee for defense.

pretty lil thing
    I have to be careful while bush-hogging as they will just lay there sometimes when they are only a few days old.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea im thinking my kids need one as a pet. I would have prolly let my kids go get it for his inside toy. Safety second!!!

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A couple of years back I was mowing a fiel riding a large, 72" zero turn mower. Center of the field is a good size debris pile with weeds and grass growing densly up to about 5' high. I made a tight sweep around that pile and as I came out the backside one about the size in the picture sprung out and landed in my lap, then jumped off and ran wide open for the woodline. Scared the hell out of me. It happened so fast I couldn't even tell what kind of animal it was until it was halfway to the woodline.

Top Bottom