• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikenjapan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has anyone had experience with a background check delay. This is the 2nd time I have had it happen and it is beginning to annoy me since I have a Florida concealed weapons permit and have a clean background. I drove 45 minutes to purchase a gun and was planning on bringing home same day only to have a delay decision on my background check. Does anyone know if you can call them and get them to tell you why and send them whatever documentation they need to avoid a delay decision in the future? I have a feeling that it has to do with a DV arrest that I had years ago that got set aside and I was never prosecuted for. My bet it that it shows as an arrest in the system with no disposition. This was years ago and I have since got my permit and even had a C&R license for a few years.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your best bet would be to find an attorney in your area that is very knowledgeable of firearm laws and explain your situation to them. They should know who they need to contact and find out exactly what the hold up is.

By trying to evaluate the problem yourself it will just become a dragged out mess.

You will have to jump thru tons of paperwork, Where a knowledgeable attorney will know exactly who to ask and ask the proper questions.

Yes might cost a fee bucks but the right attorney should be able to fix things quickly & less stress you'll go thru.

Good luck keep us posted to what you do. I'm sure you aren't the only one getting the run around.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Go & talk to an attorney ask for a free console , Some might do it PRO BONO If it's only a paperwork screw up .

There's actual attorneys that aren't in it for the bucks. Are you a NRA member? They may be able to help.

I totally understand the not being able to afford attorney fees been in that situation more then once. But get as much documentation as you can on prior case more foot work you do less the attorney has to do.

Also as bigbulls posted above you can open an appeal although appeals are usually used when your denied a permit , But the board may help you look in to the sales delays can't hurt to ask. They may steer you to the correct person. But again go with documentation . What ever court the original case was in should have records.

Some states you can even check on line for prior dispositions especially if you know the claim # look around the web for state court records. Usually you go to the state court site and search your name and depending how far back the arrest was it should show up if it's been put in the system

bcp280z

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had it for a dui I had dropped a couple years ago. Gun shop should give you a form to mail appeal to FDLE office in Tally. Turnaround is bout a month. Only fee you pay is a stamp.

It'll tell you what's up and why.

mikenjapan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I called the FDLE and it is because of an incident that happened in California when I was 18. They have to make sure that it was not domestic violence related. This is not the first time I have got delayed during a firearms purchase. I have to fill out a form and send it in with a fingerprint card to the FBI to get a UPIN that may (or may not) stop this delay in the future. What a pain!

flipparker

Student of Life
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I had the same hassles and I have never had any troubles with the law in any way. I sent away for an explanation which was more confusing, but apparently someone in this area has the same first and last name as I do and has several domestic violence charges against him, which sends up a flag. Even with my SSN they still would not approve me on multiple occasions, which I found very irritating. I decided to go the UPIN route and I have to say it was the easiest way to forgo any further problems. All told the process took me about 4 months with fingerprinting, background checks and mail correspondence. Also, due to the fact it is Federal it will work anywhere. Since getting it I have never had any problems and my approvals are immediate. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom