• ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I finally have a place to hunt Deer this year and I'm wondering if Snake boots would be a good investment.

Its a lot of lowland by a river and my wife is worried I will kick up a snake.

Anyone with practical experience or advice?

Ill be in the panhandle of FL.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    A cheap alternative would be snake gaiters. Not the plastic ones but the thick cordura ones. I wore them for years and they do double duty to protect your legs when using a weed eater.
    Mine are Rattler brand.
    BUT most of the time I didn’t wear them deer hunting because weather was cool.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i bought these rocky snake boots last year for hunting and i find i wear them more than i would have thought. they zip up and are pretty comfortable.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Bought my wife and I both a pair of gaiters and they spun all around our legs, couldn’t secure them or keep them tight enough. Bought a pair of Rocky’s this year, LOVE THEM ! Very comfortable and water proof. Watch some of the Rocky YouTube videos !

Attachments

• A5DED189-F581-4170-9BAB-FA41263CEDE6.jpeg
      A5DED189-F581-4170-9BAB-FA41263CEDE6.jpeg
      426.5 KB · Views: 56

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    i bought these rocky snake boots last year for hunting and i find i wear them more than i would have thought. they zip up and are pretty comfortable.

Yep I did too, very comfortable

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dont know most of the snakes at my place are big enough to go for the neck

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    been hit 2-3 times and they protected me...unsure if reg boots would have been just as effective. I don't go out without them now
    Me too. I've killed a couple dozen snakes here in the local creek bottoms, with machetes, a shovel, a USAF pilots knife, a boy scout knife, a Western bowie clone, even a brass plumb bob when I was caught off guard at work, land surveying... but only once with a shotshell. Get within arms reach of a murderous territorial serpent that will chase you and it will change your whole mindset. You gotta stand on it and cut its head off. Where people mess up is they try to stomp it repeatably and they lift their feet off of it and then they get bit. You gotta pin it down and cut his head off. Can do this with just a common pocket knife even, on the opposite side of the boot that the head is on. Gotta have the wherewithal to stand on it firmly. This is how I've killed several when I didn't have a gun on me and only had a pocket knife, with regular combat boots on, not even snake boots. Don't get your hand anywhere near their head. Who cares if there's 6 inches of neck attached to the head. Beheaded is dead. They bleed out either way no matter where you cut them

Funny thing is I bought my snake boots used at a thrift store in Maine... where there's no use for snake boots as there's no poisonous snakes there! It's too cold for them to survive the Maine winters. And in the few years I've been home and the many excursions into creeks and pine woods that were back to nature, I've not had a single poisonous snake get within arms reach of me yet. Several nonpoisonous snakes, but no poisonous snakes... yet. Just a matter of time

I can highly recommend the Irish Setters. I love mine. I've got two pairs of Irish Setters boots now, with a pair of composite toe cowboy work boots I bought new. I love them. Like couch's for your feet

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Get the chaps. The boots are PITA
    Take all your laces out of your snake boots and wear them as just regular knee high pull-on boots and then they're not a PITA

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

I'm on my second pair of Rocky combat boots with side zips and I love them! Wear them on a daily basis for 8 hour shifts and 16 hour shifts and have no problems! I wore the soles right off of the last pair after a couple years, and the zippers never gave out... just don't buy your Rockys from Sportsman's Guide! I read in the Sportsman's Guide reviews that they got a bad batch of Rocky's zippers and they were blowing out in the first week. Buy your Rocky's new in a retail establishment and get the receipt and warranty

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Me too. I've killed a couple dozen snakes here in the local creek bottoms, with machetes, a shovel, a USAF pilots knife, a boy scout knife, a Western bowie clone, even a brass plumb bob when I was caught off guard at work, land surveying... but only once with a shotshell. Get within arms reach of a murderous territorial serpent that will chase you and it will change your whole mindset. You gotta stand on it and cut its head off. Where people mess up is they try to stomp it repeatably and they lift their feet off of it and then they get bit. You gotta pin it down and cut his head off. Can do this with just a common pocket knife even, on the opposite side of the boot that the head is on. Gotta have the wherewithal to stand on it firmly. This is how I've killed several when I didn't have a gun on me and only had a pocket knife, with regular combat boots on, not even snake boots. Don't get your hand anywhere near their head. Who cares if there's 6 inches of neck attached to the head. Beheaded is dead. They bleed out either way no matter where you cut them

Funny thing is I bought my snake boots used at a thrift store in Maine... where there's no use for snake boots as there's no poisonous snakes there! It's too cold for them to survive the Maine winters. And in the few years I've been home and the many excursions into creeks and pine woods that were back to nature, I've not had a single poisonous snake get within arms reach of me yet. Several nonpoisonous snakes, but no poisonous snakes... yet. Just a matter of time

I can highly recommend the Irish Setters. I love mine. I've got two pairs of Irish Setters boots now, with a pair of composite toe cowboy work boots I bought new. I love them. Like couch's for your feet
    You have probably passed by a lot of venomous snakes that you weren’t aware of, within striking distance. I’m pretty sure we all have . It’s the ones you don’t see that get you. Stay safe .

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    You have probably passed by a lot of venomous snakes that you weren’t aware of, within striking distance. I’m pretty sure we all have . It’s the ones you don’t see that get you. Stay safe .
    There was a day on the Chipola River about 10 years ago that I killed three huge moccasins in one day... all three within moments of getting out of the canoe with my machete, three separate times... It was like every time I got out of the boat I was taking my life in my own hands! and then I just quit getting out of the boat for the whole rest of the day :) I don't think I ever been more nervous to step foot out of my boat ;)

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There was a day on the Chipola River about 10 years ago that I killed three huge moccasins in one day... all three within moments of getting out of the canoe with my machete, three separate times... It was like every time I got out of the boat I was taking my life in my own hands! and then I just quit getting out of the boat for the whole rest of the day :) I don't think I ever been more nervous to step foot out of my boat ;)

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    There was a day on the Chipola River about 10 years ago that I killed three huge moccasins in one day... all three within moments of getting out of the canoe with my machete... and then I just quit getting out of the boat for the whole rest of the day :)
    I was getting to my tree stand years ago on Eglin . Before sun up , temp was in low 30’s . As the sun came up, and I was snug in my stand , I saw the last 2-3 feet of a Eastern Diamond back going down a gopher hole very slowly . The hole was next to the tree my stand was in about 5 feet away. I walked on the other side of the tree getting to the stand . I had to be well within reach of that big boy . Never saw him , till the sun came out . Big pucker factor. Yes , snake boots are for me, as important as my firearm .

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I was getting to my tree stand years ago on Eglin . Before sun up , temp was in low 30’s . As the sun came up, and I was snug in my stand , I saw the last 2-3 feet of a Eastern Diamond back going down a gopher hole very slowly . The hole was next to the tree my stand was in about 5 feet away. I walked on the other side of the tree getting to the stand . I had to be well within reach of that big boy . Never saw him , till the sun came out . Big pucker factor. Yes , snake boots are for me, as important as my firearm .
    I had a moccasin chase me around a fat oak tree in '02. I was clearing bushes that had grown up around the oak tree with my machete in the backyard, you know where a lawn mower couldn't run over the oak tree roots it had grown up high while I had been away 4 years, and I saw the leaves moving first... coming for me under the leaves. I had already been working around the oak tree for a few minutes and never saw him. I ran right around the oak tree real fast, got behind him and smacked the leaves with that machete a few times and he was dead. I've got pictures of that one stretched out across my back bumper. I still had film in the camera used for the road trip home from Camp Pendleton, about a week prior to that.

One of the first things I did coming home was go to the Pea Ridge flea market and buy myself a brand new $5 Brazil machete at the tool booth. I knew I would need it and sure enough I did, real quick like. I killed another moccasin right downtown Milton, outside City Hall on the old train track turned bike path, sitting itself like it was stopped for traffic to cross the road, and I never even thought twice about getting out of the truck with a machete in the middle of town and killing that snake right there in front of City Hall. And nobody said a word to me either! How Milton has changed... People on active duty used to ask me "hey what did you do on leave" and they were always amazed when I said "I took a boat to Walmart. That's Florida for you." Pretty bad when Walmart leaves your town too, but hey we can still go to the Taco Bell, Big Lots, check the mail, go to the Dollar store and go to the bar by boat :) Milton has changed, and not for the better, and most people living here now never knew the real Milton.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom