• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Serious question ... I am new to the world of ARs, but not shooting, so if I wanted to put together a kit of parts for my AR in order to keep it serviceable, what would you put in that kit?
    I'm talking about those parts that would be critical to keeping your AR running in the event of prolonged harsh conditions. Springs? Pins? etc. Somebody has to have put together such a kit and marketed it, I'm sure. Interested to hear comments on what (you) people think are these critical parts/components to have on hand should the ..... you know. Take a quick look at your own parts kit and share any wisdom you think you might have so we can all have a discussion. TIA.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    lots of mfgs do like an oops kit or rebuild type kits. i always have a couple of bcg rebuild kits, AR firing pins, springs, detents and other bits to keep them ARs running for a long time. just let the googles be your guide to find stuff...

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In my experience over twenty plus years and tens of thousands of rounds between many rifles, I'll say replacement parts are in this order:

1. Gas Rings. They will eventually wear out, but for 95% of the people reading this, it's a non-issue. They will last a heck of a long time. BUT... they are cheap so having a few sets is a good thing.

2. Extractor. As much shooting I've done, I've never had to replace one but they are on the list of "must haves" for any serious repair/maintenance preps.

3. Barrel. After enough shooting to wear out the above mentioned items, a barrel will be close behind.

4. Disconnect. They are about the last item of concern, won't hurt to have an extra one or three.

Other than that, if you're not taking your rifle apart over and over again, all those "opps" kits are really worthless. BUT... would not hurt to have a few spare detents and springs if that's your thing.

I have seen one detent actually break into pieces and that was on a NIB Colt 6920 of all rifles. Had I not witnessed it, I would not have believed it.

The rest of the AR15 is quite robust. Bolt carriers are pretty much bullet proof, gas keys properly staked last forever, the FCG is robust as well with hammer/trigger sear wear a non-issue so extra hammers and triggers are a waste of money IMO.

IMO, the easiest way to cover most things is a couple spare bolts.

All in all, the AR is such a common platform replacement parts will probably never be an issue, even in a EOTWAWAKI situation.

Save your money, buy ammo.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In my experience over twenty plus years and tens of thousands of rounds between many rifles, I'll say replacement parts are in this order:

1. Gas Rings. They will eventually wear out, but for 95% of the people reading this, it's a non-issue. They will last a heck of a long time. BUT... they are cheap so having a few sets is a good thing.

2. Extractor. As much shooting I've done, I've never had to replace one but they are on the list of "must haves" for any serious repair/maintenance preps.

3. Barrel. After enough shooting to wear out the above mentioned items, a barrel will be close behind.

4. Disconnect. They are about the last item of concern, won't hurt to have an extra one or three.

Other than that, if you're not taking your rifle apart over and over again, all those "opps" kits are really worthless. BUT... would not hurt to have a few spare detents and springs if that's your thing.

I have seen one detent actually break into pieces and that was on a NIB Colt 6920 of all rifles. Had I not witnessed it, I would not have believed it.

The rest of the AR15 is quite robust. Bolt carriers are pretty much bullet proof, gas keys properly staked last forever, the FCG is robust as well with hammer/trigger sear wear a non-issue so extra hammers and triggers are a waste of money IMO.

IMO, the easiest way to cover most things is a couple spare bolts.

All in all, the AR is such a common platform replacement parts will probably never be an issue, even in a EOTWAWAKI situation.

Save your money, buy ammo.
    Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    If you're in survival mode, dpms used to sell a kit with a firing pin and some misc lower parts. It's a decent kit.

Building multiples or taking them apart, a lower parts kit and an oops kit should be on hand. A spring will go flying or you'll kink one and wonder why you didn't have a backup. Primary arms has the best shipping price of any retailer on small parts if they have what you need.

Top Bottom