• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently purchased a 20-inch rifle length old school ar15 upper, and the drop-in handguards aren't rock solid, but it's not so bad I can't work with them. I noticed the delta ring sits parallel with the receiver when I pull them off. When I install the handguards, the delta ring sits slightly tilted like they aren't seated correctly. I'm having trouble finding anything on Google. Anyway, can someone confirm this is normal?

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I recently purchased a 20-inch rifle length old school ar15 upper, and the drop-in handguards aren't rock solid, but it's not so bad I can't work with them. I noticed the delta ring sits parallel with the receiver when I pull them off. When I install the handguards, the delta ring sits slightly tilted like they aren't seated correctly. I'm having trouble finding anything on Google. Anyway, can someone confirm this is normal?
    Posting pictures may help knowledgeable people understand what is happening.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    this is the best picture i could manage. you see how its cocked? im wondering if its just some cheap handguards. when i take them off the ring sits level. shrug

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The problem is that your handguards are not fitting as they should. There appears to be too much material on the bottom handguard where the Delta ring slides over it.
    Do you think I could dremel some off, or should I purchase a better set? Any recommendations for brands or websites that sell decent drop-in handguards?

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    I have a brand new Surefire rifle length quad rail system that I could sell you for $150 that would fix that..

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take the upper off and tap the Delta ring. Then buy a Delta ring tool so you can get the hand guards back off later.

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take the upper off and tap the Delta ring. Then buy a Delta ring tool so you can get the hand guards back off later.
    I reached out to company but they haven't responded yet. I'm tempted to just buy some old school ones I found online that look like the heat shield actually does something. I'm hesitant to monkey with the delta ring because I think it's fine. I believe the handguards are cheap and out-of spec. I've always had free float barrels so admittedly this is new to me.

I love this 20 inches tho. I think the added weight actually helps me stabilize in standing position better. Maybe I'm crazy

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a hand guard guy so the closest thing I've ever had to a rail is P&S RAS. Hand guards and Delta rings can be a huge pain. I'd just grab a beer and 1911 that lower guard with some sandpaper and call it a day.

A 20" rifle length gas setup is just smooth as butter and easy on the shoulder. A real pleasure to shoot for sure. I got on the shorty kick for a while and had a 10.5" that was a handful. Put a brake on it to calm it down but that just turned it into a violent fireball launching demon from hell. I sold it and moved back to the longer stuff.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    thanks but i like the traditional drop in look
    if you are looking for traditional a2 style plastic handguards, I understand that everyone has their own preferences. But in case I didn’t explain it, the Surefire quad rail handguards that I have are drop in style quad rails, very similar to the KAC RAS rails.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I reached out to company but they haven't responded yet. I'm tempted to just buy some old school ones I found online that look like the heat shield actually does something. I'm hesitant to monkey with the delta ring because I think it's fine. I believe the handguards are cheap and out-of spec. I've always had free float barrels so admittedly this is new to me.

I love this 20 inches tho. I think the added weight actually helps me stabilize in standing position better. Maybe I'm crazy
    Nope, the 20 is the best setup! Ymmv

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if you are looking for traditional a2 style plastic handguards, I understand that everyone has their own preferences. But in case I didn’t explain it, the Surefire quad rail handguards that I have are drop in style quad rails, very similar to the KAC RAS rails.
    i understand. i dont have many accessories to attach so a quad would be overkill for me and i really like the look of traditional handguards with the fsb and carry handle. thanks tho

Top Bottom