• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Again... I'm not a lawyer and this is not gospel.

I had a chance to sit down and talk with my ATF friend tonight. I asked pointed questions as best I could and brought up previous rulings and the letters that have already been posted in this thread. Here's what I got. (The following assumes no NFA laws are broken i.e. short barrel and stock etc)

If you have a receiver that is purchased as a 'pistol' you can build it as a pistol, then rifle, then back and forth as you see fit.

If you have a receiver that is purchased as a 'rifle' or 'receiver' it can only be a rifle.

I didn't get specific citations on where this was written. He was good enough to allow me to put out his e-mail if there are any questions.

randal.beach@atf.gov

The quest continues.

BretJ

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rifle with 16.1 inch BBL = OK.
    Rifle with 15.9 inch BBL = 10 years, $10,000 and loss of rights to own firearms.
    Pistol with 15.9 inch BBL = OK.
    Rifle with 16.1 inch BBL but overall length less that 26" = 10 years, $10,000 and loss of rights to own firearms.

Be very careful converting a firearm from pistol to rifle or vice versa. As far as receivers go, once the receiver is documented by the factory or the dealer as one or the other, that is what it is. If a dealer receives a virgin AR lower and annotates it in his book as pistol, it is a pistol. Best suggestion is cover your butt and become an NFA stamp collector. Bet you won't stop at 1...

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    WR thanks for the links. The second one is a nice to have.

I think it's funny/frustrating that in the second letter that both partys referred to the 2011-4 ruling in regards to ARs when my ATF guy said that only applied to the T&Cs. Still seems to be some inconsistencies.

BretJ

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All this is understood. The intent of my post was to warn people to be very careful when converting pistol to rifle. Once you put the butt stock on it, better have a 16" barrel or longer and be 26" long overall. Most AR pistol kits include barrels way under legal rifle length.

BTW, while Kwik has the correct documents, I would avoid most advice he may give. He is quite a putz and is known for pulling some pretty ignorant stunts. He claims it's all in the interest of gun rights but IMHO is looking to reach financial security through municipal lawsuits.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom