• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D_odom1600

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I saw a friends ar pistol 300 blackout. He uses it as a truck gun, I fell in love, how do you go about building a ar pistol? What is the price range? Any help is appreciated thanks

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you want to build one then just start with a stripped lower or any complete lower that hasn't been a rifle. Then decided what sized upper you want and build just like any other ar15. I just built my first one a bit ago. I have it for sale on armslist if your interested.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If you want a 300 pistol, you have to make sure the port in the barrel was drilled properly, then you run into the issue of using the right buffer for it.
    If you build it from scratch, just be ready to tweak a bit a the end, or get a complete upper from AAC. That is , of course if you want to stake your life on it, for a range toy , I wouldn't worry about it.
    I do love 300blk. I wish my barrel was shorter, but I'll take reliability over maneuverability. If the zombies came knocking tonight, they'd be met be a 300blk with 2, 40 round coupled pmags for 80 rounds of Hornady .308 Vmax at the ready, while in my underwear. Even my 308 can't beat that kind of power when you factor the round count. Can't give an HD rifle much higher praise than that. Whichever way you choose , keep us posted. Good luck!

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I "built" a 10.5" 5.56 pistol by just waiting for Palmetto State Armory to run a complete upper on sale. I think the complete upper was $299. I ordered a pistol buffer tube, spring, and buffer on Amazon and mated it with a new stripped lower and lower parts kit. NO butt stock and NO vertical forward grip allowed.
    Tons of fun. Very freaking loud compared to a "normal" AR.

DSC02025.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02025.JPG
      DSC02025.JPG
      172.9 KB · Views: 257

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    With all due respect to Mr. John, you CAN have a VFG if the OAL exceeds 26".
    That's how I'd do any "pistol" since the "tube/stock" contraptions are useless. They are stupid loud though. Makes me miss my PLR-16.

Additionally, I'd recommend a laser. I'm usually a Crimson Trace fan , but the Laserlyte center mass is AWESOME.

If I traveled much, a 300blk set up just like that would be just right for me.

BTW, you can't usually run subsonic unsupressed with that setup, or if you run 556, you're giving up quite a bit of energy.

Just my personal and biased opinion. YMMV.

Last edited:

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like dan said use a 12" barrel on an AR and that gets the length to 26" so the grip is GTG and a 12" barrel works perfect for 5.56 with a carbine gas system. Thats actually what the carbine length was designed for and you can use a fore grip because its not technically a handgun but a firearm because its over 26". Just keep your ATF letters with you incase Barney or any other outback nazi law enforcement agent that doesn't know the law tries to call it something its not. Throw a sig brace on and its one hell of a gun. I know that combo works great with 5.56 but I've never messed with it in 300 blk so I would do some homework if you go that route.

Carbmofo

I'm Broke!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a few AR pistols. All of which I have more money in than I should have "invested". The only one that is 100 percent reliable is the Sig 556 pistol......They are all really cool [toys] though. I also have a new lightweight pistol that is being completed soon, will update pics then.

uzegyne7.jpg

tu4usymy.jpg

qusazazu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    How does purchasing a lower for one of these work, exactly? When you buy it do you declare it as a pistol and have to do the 3 day thing? Or can you just purchase as normal, then when you get it you just build it entirely as a pistol with the pistol buffer tube and such?

Carbmofo

I'm Broke!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Build as normal with a pistol tube and no stock. Can't previously have been assembled as a rifle.

Carbmofo

I'm Broke!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just make sure you don't have a stock anywhere around. I would play it safe and use a pistol tube......since I generally have plenty of extra parts in my vehicle. Pay attention to the end of that letter.

pety9eqe.jpg

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    How does purchasing a lower for one of these work, exactly? When you buy it do you declare it as a pistol and have to do the 3 day thing? Or can you just purchase as normal, then when you get it you just build it entirely as a pistol with the pistol buffer tube and such?

A stripped receiver is neither a pistol or a rifle and will be logged as a receiver by your dealer. It isn't a pistol or rifle until actually built. This is true even if the stripped receiver is marked pistol.

Choose which ever buffer tube you wish. It is of no consequence what so ever as to its pistol status.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I could quite well be wrong but this ATF letter says if you put a VFG on a handgun you just created an AOW.

https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/04/041006-openletter-nfa-adding-vertical-fore-grip.html

This is also my understanding of the VFG / Pistol rules. The magpul AFG was ruled as OK from what I recall, but I don't have any info to support that.

Stanley posted a picture of his keltec pistol with a VFG and promptly got a call from the ATF... this is, in part, how he gained his notoriety on PFF.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You are correct John, if it is a pistol you cannot have a Vertical grip, the angled ones are OK.

On the buffer tube you need to use a "pistol" one that does not allow a butt stock to be installed, even though you could use a reg tube it may show intent to place on a butt stock and can leave you open to agent interpretation, I don't want to do that.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yes, You may add a VFG if and only if OAL exceeds 26"
    e8ehujuz.jpg

e4ezypam.jpg

Yes, You may use a carbine tube as long as you don't have a stock lying around that can readily be attached, or if the carbine tube has been modified or covered in such a way that it can no longer "readily" accept a stock.
    ajy3a6u7.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom