• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brnbser

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    so I was lucky enough to buy an AR the day before Thanksgiving as an early Christmas present to myself.

I've never owned one before, knew I wanted one and just happened to go ahead and buy a RRA EO 2 on the way to the range with my kids. I had been looking at it for a while and it seemed to have the majority of the options I wanted without spending a bunch buying the different options.

bought a few hundred rounds when I got it of the 55 gr Hornady SP, one PMag and one 5 rd. the kids and I had a blast and was suprised how accurate it was out to 50 yds with open sights.

Now the dilemma, with all the frantic buying, I'm not sure what I should spend my limited fundage on and what I shouldn't even bother looking at. I definately want more ammo but hunting ammo and I'm unsure of what I'm best searching for. So what grain/brand/bullet type should I be looking for that some of y'all hunt with. What other options should I be focused on. With having 2 30 rd mags and a 5, that's enough for me for now as it will mainly be for fun at the range for me and the kids and limited hunting (deer and hog) for me.

I've got plenty of scoped long guns so a scope will be in the long term plan but for now I only plan on using this for short range hunting, I was pleased enough to keep it the way it is for now when I put 5 rds in silver dollar sized group at 50 yds with the factory sights.

I've looked at a few of the forums but will start local, help a AR newbie out in the frenzy....what do I need to be searching for while it's still available?

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You're sort of in a catch 22 as nothing is reasonably priced right now magazine or ammo wise.

If it were me, I'd check the sporting goods stores and walmarts frequently and pick up whatever ammo I could get my hands on.

Keep in mind that I am not sure of what is optimal for hunting, but I picked up some of the 62 grain federal fusion rounds to try my hand at hunting with, but was told anything with a soft point and a heavier bullet would work pretty well for hogs or deer.

Good luck!

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You sound like me, a hunter who just wanted to own an AR. If you don't let yourself get caught up in all the craziness, hopefully this will all blow over. Keep checking with Wal-Mart and other locations for ammo. I walked into Wal-Mart this past weekend and found 223 ammo at the normal price ($4.97 a 20 round box). When I left they had more on the shelf, but are sold out now. There are still deals out there and if you wait you will find them. Either way, you have the gun already and if you are not a big time shooter you will be okay, even if a weapons band is passed. Worse comes to worse, you hold onto the gun and make a butt load of money by selling it just before any new law passes.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just be sure to hunt with soft points and not hollow points, for the animals sake.

Yes, as stated above you are in a tough spot as far as ammo and mags go, but at least you've got the rifle. Congrats on that !

Rick

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welcome to the forum, Scott! :welcome:

Outside9
    (post #4) has pretty good advice, and ammo is what I would be looking for. Even if the ban is passed and you decide to get rid of the AR-15, the ammo can be always used in other 'legal' rifles, especially .223 stuff, sold or traded. The ban does not even address ammo, but if it does pass I expect the prices to shoot up astronomically at first due to the second wave panic attack, and then slowly come back down. I would start with a 1,000 rd. bulk buy if you can find any at a fair price.

The next thing would be High Capacity Mags for pistols and rifles both (if you prefer them), but they are scarce and a lot of people are price gouging badly. The ban does address these items specifically, and if it passes completely as Diane Feinstein is proposing, they would not be able to sold, traded, given away, or passed down to family members.

The bill is supposed to be introduced sometime today after the new Congress begins session around noon, so maybe we will learn much more about what actually get proposed by tonight.

~ Pat

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think ammo will eventually come back into stock pretty good. Prices will not go back down probably. Just like the last scare in 2008, ammo went missing for a while. Then when stocks came back up the prices went down a little, but not back to pre-scare prices.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well i don't hunt w a 556 for deer or hogs but for deer you cannot use FMJ so a SP or HP is best, what is your twist rate? That will tell you how heavy a bullet you can use. A 223 is not the best hog gun, OK for deer, not my favorite, be prepared to do some tracking. Get a 10 rd mag for hogs, no need to carry 30 in a gun for hunting. A scope or red dot would be good, get a cantilever mount to get the right eye relief like a Burris PEPR..

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't deer or hog hunt with it. However, set it up with a tall bi-pod (so you can sit and shoot) and get yourself an electronic coyote caller, that is what I use my ARs for.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO a 223/5.56 is a good Fla-Dah sized deer and the "reasonable" sized hog killer. As with most anything...shot placement is paramount. Using the solid copper bullets and/or the Nosler 60gr Partition I have killed a few deer with my Benelli MR1. Please remember that with this chambering bullet weight is not a factor you should consider.( The ONLY "heavy" bullet that I would consider is the 62gr DPX load from Cor-Bon. And this with a 1:7 twist) However bullet make-up definitely is. A light/fast bullet creates a huge cone of hydrostatic shock. Bullet makeup drives it through.

I have a friend in my hunting club that has raised his two daughters shooting a single shot 223Rem. Between the two of them they have probably killed a hundred deer and tons of hogs with their guns. At the closer ranges a well placed shot using a well made bullet will certainly do the trick. --- SAWMAN

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    imo a 223/5.56 is a good fla-dah sized deer and the "reasonable" sized hog killer. As with most anything...shot placement is paramount. Using the solid copper bullets and/or the nosler 60gr partition i have killed a few deer with my benelli mr1. Please remember that with this chambering bullet weight is not a factor you should consider.( the only "heavy" bullet that i would consider is the 62gr dpx load from cor-bon. And this with a 1:7 twist) however bullet make-up definitely is. A light/fast bullet creates a huge cone of hydrostatic shock. Bullet makeup drives it through.

I have a friend in my hunting club that has raised his two daughters shooting a single shot 223rem. Between the two of them they have probably killed a hundred deer and tons of hogs with their guns. At the closer ranges a well placed shot using a well made bullet will certainly do the trick. --- sawman

a 100?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This gentleman has quit a bit of acreage to hunt on. He has several friends that are farmers and he gets to hunt with their predation permits. He is also big in the church and is active in the feeding the hungry thing. Both of his girls are now approx. 16 so......... Any further info needed you are most welcome to PM me. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom