• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I posted a thread awhile back about an AR or AK, and I'm considering an AR. Unfortunately, I decided after Black Friday. I'm new to this world, and not a gunsmith. Suggestions for a good all around rifle that will be reliable and accurate to 200 yards? Only use is going to be range/civil unrest. I'm willing to do a little assembly, but again - not a gunsmith, just fairly handy with a wrench. Also, suggestions for good sources to buy. Thanks.

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look at Palmetto State Armory for complete uppers. I suggest their premium/ CHF line (it will be in the description)

Lowers are easy to build with only a few cheap tools. Buy a cheap lower locally or online and buy a lower build kit to complete it ( look at spikes, cmmg, palmetto state, aero precision). Or you can even buy a complete lower at palmetto state and have it shipped to a gun shop to pick up.

Ar15.Com is your friend.

Just stay away from the start up companies that have no reviews. All the brands I listed plus colt, FN, noveske, BCM, are all good brands that have been around for a while.

Last edited:

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Look also at radical firearms complete uppers and if you pick up a stripped lower I can help you put it together if you like.

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unfortunately, I'm no longer in Pensacola. If I was, I'd just stalk the for sale threads for a good deal. If I get a complete upper, what does it take to finish the rifle? How much chance is there of screwing the lower up? If I get an upper/bcg separately, what does it take to put them together? Any features/parts to steer clear of? Any "must haves" for an AR?

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are a few tricky parts in the lower but very doable. The bolt catch roll pin and the take down pin retaining plunger springs (how about that part description) are about the worse parts to assemble. Everything else is erector set simple. You tube and AR-15.com are indispensable if you've never built one.

Hint: When installing the aforementioned take down pin retaining plunger and spring it's a good idea to do it inside a clear plastic bag. Otherwise if it's gets away it will bounce around the room like Han Solo's blaster shot in the garbage masher.

Rick

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After looking at Radical Firearms website, I think I might have to take a little road trip - they're only a couple hours away. I'd like to touch and feel a few to see what I like.

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Might want to do a bit of research on Radical. They were known to melonite barrels with the extensions in place causing the extension to untorque itself upon installation. Also had some other issues involving not test firing their guns and other QC issues. They might have sorted it all out but I've seen a lot of poor reviews of Radical over the last year. Just my 2 cents best of luck to you

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Care to share your source of these negative reviews? Id be interested to read

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Care to share your source of these negative reviews? Id be interested to read

I will give a negative review of my own. Last year, I bought a Radical Firearms barrel just to save some money. Well, the barrel's accuracy was horrible. It would not hold a group worth squat. I ordered a much more expensive barrel to replace it. When I went to remove the Radical barrel, it broke loose from the barrel extension. I have never had that happen with a barrel before. Sure, their barrels are cheap, but for good reason. Some guys have been satisfied with Radical's barrels, but many have not because of the extension issues.

bkitzel250

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep might want to save a few more pennies and go with PSA premium or CHF upper groups. I have 3 and they all shoot very well and have been 100% reliable

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear first hand experience.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I got about 1500 rounds through my 10.5" 5.56 RF upper and could not be happier. Groups better than I can shoot and not one issue of any kind. Suppose I'm one of the lucky ones

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Well I got about 1500 rounds through my 10.5" 5.56 RF upper and could not be happier. Groups better than I can shoot and not one issue of any kind. Suppose I'm one of the lucky ones

You are most fortunate indeed. It seems like the shorter barrels have better luck for some strange reason. Most of the other guys that have had good luck with Radical's upper have had short barreled uppers. Who knows, they may have fixed their problems by now, and then again, they may not have. Who knows? To me, it is not worth the chance to find out. There are better options available.

Wimbledon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Palmetto state all day.

Great prices and I've had around ten of their rifles with no issues. Just buy a barreled upper, and a complete lower and you're gtg.

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom