Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I noticed they did not test a Smith Vortex, the YHM Phantoms, LANTAC Dragon as many others. Their recoil test was, well, pitiful. They used a slick plastic rest on a slick table top. This in no way demonstrates a true representation of the recoil properties. The entire test is extremely unscientific and the results cannot be construed as being accurate and factual information.

Last edited:

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the Rainer Arms Mini Comp on my 16" rifle length upper and it feels like Im shooting a 22, just a lot louder..

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you need to reduce the recoil of 556 you need to stick with pellet guns

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just for fun gentleman, geez ya'll guys need some Prozac. I can smell the keyboards smoking. I guess should have explain in more detail how rudimentary the experiment was and how the comparison of their data is what was interesting. And yes a lot of the common muzzle brakes were left out.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    FWIW, I like my Miculek comp more than the Lantac. The Lantac was actually too effective and pushed the muzzle down slightly on my 18" comp upper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    my reasoning for installing the jp recoil eliminator on my 24 inch ar chambered in 223rem was not so much to mitigate the recoil impulse put on my shoulder as it was for the extremely quick follow up shots when more than one yote came to my call or bait.

they are butt ugly and heavy ..... but ..... they work great. i intentionally took the reset out of the trigger group at one point. allowing it to double. i could still put two shots within 2 inches at 100yds ..... faster than you could hear the separation. visually,my crosshairs would not rise or fall,they would simply vibrate. --- sawman

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The VG6 Epsilon is a great device. Small and very effective comp/hider. I enjoy mine a lot

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW, I like my Miculek comp more than the Lantac. The Lantac was actually too effective and pushed the muzzle down slightly on my 18" comp upper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I also like the fact that the Lantac's muzzle blast and fireball clears the lanes on either side of you at the range allowing for more elbow room.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also like the fact that the Lantac's muzzle blast and fireball clears the lanes on either side of you at the range allowing for more elbow room.

this

I love hearing others whine about the muzzle blast. Seriously? We're at a frickin' gun range shooting high powered rifles...and you're complaining about noise? I personally love the concussion and feeling the pulse from a proper muzzle device. Proper hearing protection goes a long way

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I noticed they did not test a Smith Vortex, the YHM Phantoms, LANTAC Dragon as many others. Their recoil test was, well, pitiful. They used a slick plastic rest on a slick table top. This in no way demonstrates a true representation of the recoil properties. The entire test is extremely unscientific and the results cannot be construed as being accurate and factual information.
    While this test was in no way "scientific" he used the same rifle, the same ammo, same rest, on the same carpet, with the same rock in the rest and allowd the rifle to recoil freely every time. I'd say it was a pretty fair comparison on how much straight back recoil each device eliminates.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    from bb in his above ..... this is absolutely true and worth noting. i have my favorites including the jp/bennie coolie style brake on a 308.

imo,most buy/install a muzzle device for their cool factor. i have heard quite a few comments on this and other forums relating to the fact that the device was chosen because of the looks. tests like the above,while not the holy grail, should be added to your info needed/wanted in making your decision for a muzzle device. --- sawman

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    While this test was in no way "scientific" he used the same rifle, the same ammo, same rest, on the same carpet, with the same rock in the rest and allowd the rifle to recoil freely every time. I'd say it was a pretty fair comparison on how much straight back recoil each device eliminates.

You also have to remember that he closed off his gas block so that all of the gas was expelled through the muzzle. This does not reflect how a gas impingement system with a standard gas block would react to various muzzle devices. The recoil results he posted were more indicative of a bolt-action rifle. With the gas block closed, there is no blowback and the AR will not cycle, therefore, there is no reduction in the recoil by the action of the bolt moving rearward and the buffer spring retarding some of that recoil. Additionally, this would also affect the amount of muzzle flash as well. More gas, more flash. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I guess I assumed that "all things being equal" rifle, ammo, bench rest... the data comparisons would be similar had the block been open or closed. So whether shooting bolt action or this platform the devices would react the same, in comparison. Still interesting though, I'm more interested in how the different devices effect muzzle rise more than felt recoil but I do understand the two are closely related.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    fyi ....... i have the jp reciol eliminator installed on a ruger #1 chambered in 416 Rigby. had it installed some 25 years ago. the recoil impulse is no more severe than shooting a 30-06 150gr. this is how good they work. --- sawman

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    https://vimeo.com/116206873

I'm a big fan of the Shockwave and fireball from a Lantac... this is my GF shooting my AR... After a few shots someone asked if we would stop shooting the .50bmg until they left. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy S5....

Top Bottom