• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sureicanfish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So i bought a few "good" boxes of ammo for my 30-06; winchester ballistic silvertip 150gr and hornady superformance 150gr sst. I re-zeroed my scope after adjusting the rings with a mix of Wolf 147gr and winchester super-x 180gr, both of which seemed to shoot/group about the same and i was all over the bullseye before seeing what the better ammo was all about and what a shock! first shot was the hornady was 7 INCHES high, second shot same. had to bring the scope wayyyy down and finally found a good group. shot 10 rds and switched to the winchester ST and they were about 2 inches HIGHER than the hornady's. This was at 100yds, just blew my mind that there could be that big of a difference between loads and wanted to see if others had the same type of experiences. BTW, everything i shot was grouping well but out of all of them I think the hornady's did the best with a few touching at 100yds, and the price is a bit better than the silvertips.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen more bad reviews then good. Someone on here had a bad batch of there 270. There have been some recalls too. Roll the dice , take a chance: might work good for you.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot Hornady Custom (its the one with the old man on the box) sometimes in my 30-06 get pretty decent groups with it.

sureicanfish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dont get me wrong, the groups were tight i just couldnt belive how much higher they were hitting than the cheaper ammo.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is a Factory recall on some Horn 30-06. Old but you never know how old the stuff on the shelf is unless you really look.

Item number 81153 LOT #3101052
    November 2010

Hornady Manufacturing Company is recalling one (1) lot of 30-06 165gr SST Hornady Superformance™ Ammunition, Item #81153. This lot was shipped between the dates of 7-19-10 and 8-3-10.

Hornady Manufacturing Company ballisticians have determined that some cartridges from Lot #3101052 may exhibit excessive chamber pressures. Use of this product may result in firearm damage and or personal injury.

DO NOT USE HORNADY SUPERFORMANCE 30-06 165 SST, LOT #3101052.
    The lot number can be found printed on the underside of the box label.

THIS NOTICE ONLY APPLIES TO LOT #3101052.

If you own this Lot # or have any questions regarding this recall, please call 800-338-1242. Hornady Mfg Company will make all arrangements associated with this return and replacement of the product.

ANY OTHER LOT NUMBERS OR ITEM NUMBERS ARE NOT SUBJECT TO THIS RECALL AND REQUIRE NO ACTION.

Thank you for your attention. We apologize for this inconvenience.

znb1988

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's all I shoot out if my savage 308. It shoots hornady better than any other ammo.I can hold 1 inch grips at 100 yards.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And for all the handloaders out there..Supraformamce rifle powder is now available. Haven't tried it yet though.

joebow09

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    from a hunting standpoint, the sst bullets were crap, they grouped well for me from my 270. but they exploded on impact no exit wound on several deer...same results luckily they were folded up on the spot except for one, but I want a blood trail or blow out.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    That is interesting Joe, we use the 120SST in the 6.8 with great results. You think the higher velocity out of the 270 makes them explode and not get penetration?

joebow09

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank I suppose so, I have since switched back to a btsp which has a pencil entrance and a grenade exit channel with plenty of blow out...with a skinned carcass the sst bullet was usually found on opposite side just under the hide, with a grenade entrance and a pencil size exit through muscle again with no blowout...my personal conclusion was the tip encouraged separation of the bullet upon impact at close range...maybe this would be helpful at distances over 300 yards or so...

A gun totin' son of a gun...

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well we are getting great results but maybe due to the slower speed than the 270 at 2460 in the 6.8. One member has over 900 hog kills last year with the 120 SST.

joebow09

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Those hog kills...long range? Just curious? Cause I've wondered the difference my self...or short range head shots? What was the carnage detail

A gun totin' son of a gun...

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use the Superformance SST in 7mm-08. As far as the powder, I like it. As far as the SST bullet, I'm in the middle on it. It enters the target at whatever the diameter the bullet is. I don't believe the round is made to fully exit, as it mushrooms and fragments rapidly upon entry. It does massive internal damage. On the times it has exited the target, it left a fair sized exit wound. Good enough for blood trailing if it were a bad placement shot.

I took 4 deer and 1 coyote with it this year.
    On the 1st two deer, at 60yds, the sst round did not pass completely thru. As "joebow09" stated, "the sst bullet was usually found on opposite side just under the hide".
    On the 3rd deer, also at 60yds, the sst round did pass thru, it made a decent sized exit wound.
    The 4th deer was shot at 20yds, and the sst round did not pass thru.
    I also shot a coyote, at 60yds. It left a large exit wound.

On all 5 animals, the SST round did massive internal damage. This I like. But if a mistake was to happen, you make a bad placement shot, chances are the round will not exit,
    and you will most likely lose your target, due to no exit wound and w/o an adequate bloodtrail.

joebow09

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

my old computer crashed, I had all pics of these things bullet, carnage, entrance, exit, etc...

again the grouping capabilities of this round were great for me, Im not sure if the thread starter wants grouping data or kill data??

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah he is an eradicator a TX Lawman and has his and other property, all the toys. The 120 SST in the 6.8 is his chosen rd, 20 yds to 250. That is why I sighted in my new ARP 6.8 with the 120 and bought 2 cases to use. Then on the 6.8 forum there is extensive ballistic gel, car glass and door testing, it has always performed well, not the best but well. Everyone is going to make their decisions based on personal experience and what they have researched, there are alot of choices!

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    from a hunting standpoint, the sst bullets were crap, they grouped well for me from my 270. but they exploded on impact no exit wound on several deer...same results luckily they were folded up on the spot except for one, but I want a blood trail or blow out.

same here. We tried the SST in my wifes .243 for a couple hunts. They purely disintegrate in the animal. Granted she makes neck shots so every one of her deer was DRT but with no exit and minimal blood trail I wouldn't be at all confident about 100% game recovery on a misplaced shot. I think Hornady makes 2 types of SST tho. I have seen " interbond" on some boxes. Have not tried those.

Top Bottom