Patriot Mobile

Anyone here built their own 1911? Just starting out,tips and advise welcome!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well have built my share of AR's wich in my mind is more like a lego kit than a custom fitted gun..Have tons of tools,files;punches,ect,Was wondering what other tools I would need to make it perfect,I plan on making it a slow process to ensure exact fitting and a truly custom gun that comes out as intended,I have picked up a Caspian frame ,pin and spring kit,so not much more to buy besides the obvious. Here is a list of things I think I need,please let me know what additions are needed and suggestions on quality parts,,

combat hammer
    skeleton trigger
    ambi saftey
    mag catch
    slide
    barrel
    sights
    crimson trace grips
    bushing
    beaver tai saftey

shag 1911

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you will need the tool for the safety plunger spring housing.its crimped in . unless your frame came with it in place.i would get the wilson combat 3 lb trigger set . comes with hammer, sear,main spring, and disconnector. ambi safty if your a righty is a bad choice. it is a weak link. if you go with it be carfull pressing it together the ears will brake and the safty will be stuck in the gun. this is my longslide i built and my carry.

Attachments

• 100_4063.jpg
      100_4063.jpg
      109.5 KB · Views: 334

rideyama

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I second the drop in 3# trigger kit. Beats the hell out of doing your own, unless you just really want to give that as shot. Also any parts in Wilson Combat's "bullet proof" line of parts are just that IMO, great stuff. I have only built one 1911, but I tried several different parts to get it where I want it now. I also am partial to WC's full length Tungsten guide rod. It's two piece, if you go with it or one like it take it apart when it shows up and red lock-tight it. I had mine start unscrewing itself at the range the first time I just put it in and tried it out.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is how the frame is comming so far..Almost done with the polishing of it..Talking about time consuming..This is just 10 hrs into the finish alone..Still have an easy 3 more hours untill I have it where I think its "perfect".

IMAG0369.jpg

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Better go read up on fitting the slide to the rails and watch some videos, if you think the frame polishing is fun you "ain't seen nothin yet" LOL

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Slide fitting SHOULD not be an issue as I have had to do one in the past and have cleaned up factory guns countless times.It is better to get raw slides with extra metal and slowly take metal off with 600 grit evenly and put togeather frequently,the rub points expose themselves pretty clearly for you to clean up

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Slide fitting?????? wait til you get to the barrel lock up, I have a lug cutter when you get there you can come and use it, want take long to do that. You cant say it to for to come or cost to much in gas, because your going to have more time in it then you think. Have done a few in the past. Didn't realey save any money but I could say I did it my self. Thats what it is all about {{{{{????When you finsh with that I have some parts you can work on for me, you well know how to do it then?????}}} I want charge you doing them. JUst my 50 cents jj

Last edited:

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Jerome,I will shoot you a PM in a min. Been Wanting to give you a call anyway just been tied up with work and kiddos..And your right,I did not do it for economic purposes,I wanted one that I made 100%, it is far cheaper to buy one for sure,and even cheaper to buy a shitty 1911 and customize it. This one will go to my son one day..

Last edited:

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yes sir I did thanks again! I could have sworn I posted pics,and texted them to you..I will post them now..Im loosing it..

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Them there parts look shinier than when they left me... :tea: Lookin good Matt!!

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So are you finishing it in the Black Krylon?? hehehehe:bounce: J/K looks good!!!

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about an update Matt? I know you must already have 500 rounds down the pipe on this thing :smile:

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No actually I have the project on hold as I wait for the slide to show up,along with other parts I needed.I am not looking forward to polishing the slide at all.It still cant be as bad as the frame was..

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No actually I have the project on hold as I wait for the slide to show up,along with other parts I needed.I am not looking forward to polishing the slide at all.It still cant be as bad as the frame was..

Slacking Matt.... Get after it man!!!

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing I noticed with my build is that the frame I ordered had significant differences compared to a colt spec frame. The mainspring was different, the custom trigger was a b*tch to fit, and there were a few other things. We got it right... very right, but it was a struggle. My suggestion to anyone building is to stay WAY away from less than A rated and recommended frames.

Top Bottom