Target Sports

anyone ever transport a firearm on the airlines?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Does anyone have any experience doing this? Looked at the TSA regulations but I'm looking for some real world experience and any pitfalls I may encounter.

With an approved TSA case can you put the case in checked luggage or does it have to be in a separate case and checked as a separate piece of luggage?

I know that you have to declare the firearm to the airline, do you have to have an airline employee check the case?

Is it a big hassle?

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    "Is it a big hassle?"

Of course it's a big hassle, it's the government and the airlines. They are both against the 2A. The bigger question is how much hassle can you withstand? You'd be better off driving. Maybe not to Hawaii though. ;)

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I flew to Alaska this past August with a Glock 10mm and it was no problem at all.
    It has to be in a locked, hard case and inside your checked bag. Do not get TSA approved locks. After you show them, you don’t want them to be able to open it.
    Get the smallest hard case that will fit your gun & ammo. I found the best deal at Harbor Freight.
    You just go up to the check-in and tell them you want to declare a firearm. You will hafta fill out a little form and place in the case, lock it and they will take your suitcase.
    Send me a PM if you have any questions.
    IMG_8213.jpeg

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Yep haven't flown anywhere in over a decade. It was a huge hassle even then... never mind them strip searching my whole family in public
    I flew when flying was fun. More than a decade ago. But than I realized that the only fun parts were tacking off and landing. In flight is boring unless you're catching up on your shut eye. I do enjoy a road trip much more than looking for parking, waiting for the tsa line to be strip searched, than waiting at the gate for an hour or more before boarding, than sitting next to a person that needs two seats and deodorant. WOW, talk about a hassle.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My son flew with a G19 and ammo, was placed into his checked baggage with ammo and pistol separated. Was declared at check-in.

Yes, if it fits, you can place a firearm (that's in an approved locking case) inside checked baggage. Ammo is supposed to be in original boxes but they said nothing to my son about 7mm-08 ammo I loaded for him that was in plastic ammo boxes.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Flew about 4-5 years ago out of Pensacola into Texas...pretty much what others have described. Only thing I remember is that ammo and guns could not fly in the same luggage, don't know if that changed. If you do have a TSA approved lock, they zip tie the gun case and put Red tape around it so you know if someone tampered with it. I don't know where you are flying into, but make sure the State doesn't have a magazine capacity law in place. You might get in trouble there...

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have done this multiple times within the US and was never allowed to carry ammo. Had a workaround.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes - it's not that hard - read the regs.

If just traveling with a handgun or two and some ammo, I use a small Pelican case locked inside my checked bag - I also cable lock the case to the frame of the checked bag to make a check grab from a baggage or TSA drone harder to do.

For multiple handguns and / or long guns, I use a Plano or Pelican as a checked bag with locks.

There is various amounts of drama or things to do depending on the airline / airport. Flying out of PNS isn't bad, other airports can be easier or harder. Just depends and just stay calm, have a printout of the regs and the airline procedures as you often need to edumakate the employees.

Also realize you can legally ship a firearm to yourself anywhere in the USA. So if you think ahead, you can ship and have it waiting for you at your destination. Again read the fine print of what you can do and how to do it.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Done it plenty and it ranges from easy to total chronic pain in the butt. Ammo in factory box, no ammo in mags, tsa approved case. I've gotten to the point where I have a few guns in friends safes so when I get there I just have to get with homies to strap up. It's kind of a hassle but worth it to me and for my family's sake. Just be mindful of restrictive states. I'll take a j or k frame S&W revolver to those dumps just so I don't run afoul of mag restrictions.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have done this multiple times within the US and was never allowed to carry ammo. Had a workaround.
    You can take ammo, just has to be in original package or a container designed for ammo.

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
    • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
    • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
    • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Happy new Year!
    I have flown with handgun declared it no ammo that complicates things. It was smooth United

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Totally depends on the airport and the airline.

Jacksonville international is easy, in and out, add 20 minutes to your schedule.

Tampa international, add 2 hours.

Handguns in a checked bag are much easier than a large dedicated rifle case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom