• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been itching to do this (coyote hunting) for a few years and have picked up a few items over the past couple of years. I have a small electric call and one of those little quiver critter things and some predator attracting spray. I plan on picking up a good long range light for mounting on the rifle and one for scanning around at night (since I don't want to point the rifle at something until I've identified it but I could bend on that).

Has anyone had any/much success locally getting coyotes to respond to calls? I'm in a club over in Seminole and we have coyotes but they are pretty quite. I've heard that you can get a siren and ride around and get them to respond to help pinpoint their dens but I've got a pretty good idea where they are concentrated based on signs (scat and tracks). Every year a few are killed while deer hunting so I want to go out there either in the evenings or at night and see what kind of luck I can have.

I've read a bunch about how they respond to calls and usually enter downwind so I will keep that in mind when setting up. From what I've read, usually 2 hours in one spot is good then move on if they don't respond.

Anyone have any pointers?

Liquid Fun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't done it yet but some of my buddies got electric calls for Their camps and say they are great, I do know they have good success during the day and don't hunt at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sawman hunts them and should see your post; he helped me get my first (and only) yote, a big male with my thermal sight. He has guided hunters for yotes, and knows a lot about them.

My little 3 1/2 acre farm is surrounded by them, and it is not unusual to hear them howling after dark, but I am not experienced enough to know how far away they are. Within a week of getting my thermal sight, I saw 3 climb over my pasture fence (or maybe it was one coyote climbing over on 3 occasions). I had had enough and shot the 3rd time I saw one with a .22lr and boy did that yote run fast and try and leap the fence in one bound; got the front paws on the top rung and boosted himself over. I might have missed, as the thermal wasn't calibrated right and was throwing the bullets off (it has since been fixed). Haven't seen any since, and am glad, as I have goats, but they still can be heard.

Anyway, I've thought about having someone with a call come over and try it where I live. Can't shoot/see far (about 100-125yd) due to woods, and the arc in which you could safely shoot a rifle is about 135 degrees. Would need to be a little to no moon night, otherwise the goats would want to come out and eat and generally interfere (they are curious). I have permission to shoot on the one neighbor's property that borders mine, and I figure that might be a good place to put the quiver critter. Maybe you could come over in the day time and look the place over to see if you think it would be suitable. With my thermal, I could spot them before you could. What rifle and scope do you have? I live 5 miles north of Whiting Field in Milton.

Edited to add: I could put NV on one AR and have thermal on another, and we could both see.

Last edited:

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have several I could use but I would probably use an AR15 or AR10. I don't have any thermal or night vision optics so that's why I was looking for a red LED light. Leupold's on my two hunting rifles and a Weaver Tactical on the AR10. The AR15's have red dots (one with a 3x magnifier).

I've read that the red light is better than white or green for yotes because it doesn't scare them as much. The NV and thermal are a little too rich for my blood right now but I would love to get one...

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If either of your red dots is mounted such that the muzzle end of the mount is even with the front edge of your AR15 upper receiver, then there would probably be room to mount my PVS14 behind the red dot. No resighting of your AR15 would be needed, and the PVS14 can handle .223 recoil. With one of us with night vision and the other with thermal, we would be covered. Of course no guarantee of yotes, but I often hear them howling in all 4 directions from my place. The negative would be that due to the short distance, we wouldn't be able to move to a new calling spot. I don't have permission (yet) to go to the neighbor's much bigger acreage to my north, only to the neighbor's to my east.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Frank, I went ahead and ordered one of those lights... can't beat the price compared to the WickedLights and others... If it doesn't work well on the rifle, I can use it for scanning.

(EDIT: Well, I went ahead and order one of those Wicked Lights too... damn batteries and charger for these things are expensive and by the time I add that and the mounts and pressure switch, I'm not saving that much trying to put together my own)

All my red dots are mounted forward a good bit but I wouldn't want to use your PVS14... 1. I'd hate to break it and 2. I'd have to get one once I used it :).

Thanks to everyone else who replied too.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Batteries are cheap, the 18650 recharge is all i use in 3000-5500MaH, I never use a pressure switch but have caps all over I guess...lol This light is the same as the Elusive Wildlife X250

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I killed 3 behind my house over a three week period about this time last year. They have got wise to my ways... I hear them at night, but calling them with my FoxPro has not been as successful as before. I have no doubt provided the survivors and education...

I'm in central Florida (Lake county).

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    If we were out west, I could answer just about any question you might have concerning coyotes and hunting them. Here, in the south, Im embarrassingly ignorant. From a western perspective, you don't have the numbers of coyotes, you don't have the available land to hunt them on, you don't have enough open country to see them on to, hunt them. In Arizona, I typically drive out to my area of choice that morning, it might be east,west,north or south, depending on prevailing winds that day, weather,or just my gut instinct telling me where I want to go.I might drive just down my road and start making stands or drive 20 miles to the Mexican border and start there. Then, I stop, make a stand, no more than 30 minutes, usually a bit less,, then pick up and drive a mile or two and make another stand. I do that from sunrise until about noon unless it is overcast, then I'll usually call all day.
    Any place I can see here, with such small tracts of land and private to boot, I can only a imagine a guy having enough property to make one stand, that's it...pretty grim prospects out here from what I see. I think a guy would have better luck out here calling cats and fox more so than coyotes?

Medic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've killed a few in Texas. Wide open spaces, day and night. I used a FoxPro every time. Now I have 40 acres of heavily wooded land north of I-10 with 3 cutouts that are about 75 yards. I haven't had any luck so far. My 22-250 is ready and waiting.

Top Bottom