• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Anybody have any thoughts on a Ruger American for a teenager ? From the reviews that I've read it looks like a good gun for the money.

reefcreature

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the .308 and i love it. It has some kick to it so a smaller caliber might suit him well. Easy to care for and maintain. For the money you can't go wrong. Also, it doesn't come with a scope or rings but does have the mounts. Ruger was giving away a pouch that attaches to but stock when purchased new. Just call a number and they will send it free.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the .308 and i love it. It has some kick to it so a smaller caliber might suit him well. Easy to care for and maintain. For the money you can't go wrong. Also, it doesn't come with a scope or rings but does have the mounts. Ruger was giving away a pouch that attaches to but stock when purchased new. Just call a number and they will send it free.

do u have the compact one?

bamabob

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know ya'll are talking about ruger American centerfires. just thought I would offer insight on ruger American rimfires. my cousin and I purchased the new ruger American rimfires in 22 mag(my cousin got the 22" barrel and I got the compact 22 mag 18" barrel). I have been target shooting and hunting for 45+yrs, purchased a good many rifles(ruger 10/22 which you have to spend money after purchase to get them to shoot accurately) both models my cousin and I purchased are unbelievably accurate. did nothing but adjust the trigger, mount the scope("DON"T GO WITH GROV RECEIVER RINGS) go with #12 weaver mounts, we are shooting CCI MAX MAG ammo and it is the greatest rifle I have ever purchased. reviews are great, great, great. just like the ruger American centerfires. good shooting bamabob reporting from Bristol,fl. HEAVEN ON EARTH SPORTSMAN"S DREAM example; just the other day using my rug amer rimfire 22 mag, shot a hog at 127yds(HEAD SHOT)dropped like a rock!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Is this the less expensive Ruger rifle where the forearm is flexible actually can touch the barrel? I thought someone reviewed the rifle on here at one point.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Frank, it seems in my research that I did read something like that from one guy that was reviewing the gun but all the others were glowing reviews taking into account the guns very reasonable price .

hh4whiskey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The forearms I've seen on some in the stores are wha has kept me off the bandwagon....until I caught a 20% off sale at a store about 2 weeks back. $311, out the door, for. .308 for my 13yr old. I mounted a FFII, 3-9x40, that I had paying around, and got it dialed with 168gr match, and it dropped 3 Hornady American Whitetail 150 trainers into under 3/4"...all almost touching. The forearm is flimsy, but it's straight with no contact on this one. Ified the buttstock with plumbers putty, and it balances under the mag well and felt recoil is (to me), very mild for a <7# package. I'm not sure you can get more American made rifle for the $, anywhere, that has all the requirements met like these things. I still wish the forearm was stiffer, but I had no issues with that while on the trigger. Probably put 40 or 50, 'break in' rounds through it, but I can't tell it needs the real break in. It actually seemed to have less 'felt' recoil than my 243, 24" encore, which I was also shooting. I'm already drooling over a 7-08, or a 260 (if), and dropping a 358 tube on one, if feasable.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What would be the real problem with a flexing forearm anyway? Don't you desire a freefloated barrel? seems like it should not present any major problems other than the mental block in your head, unless it warped somehow.. You can always buy a better stock later on if you really like the rifle, anyway.

hh4whiskey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They're flimsy enough, that just gripping the sides with normal pressure can cause it to touch the barrel. It hasn't caused issues, because we know it can be a problem. You also cannot buy ANY other/aftermarket stock for the RAR, at this time.

hh4whiskey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AND that will change barrel harmonics and POA..totally unacceptable!
    That's what I said, initially...as some I saw were touching the bbl, out of the box. Mine is straight, no warpage. I've found that using the finger grooves, and not ham fisting, gives plenty of purchase, and doesn't get your hand up on the thin parts. It's also not an issue flexing upward, from a rest. So far, I'm happy with the value, since it shoots lights out, and my peeves with the forend are pretty well mitigated, for now. I'd recommend it in the sub $375 class.

Top Bottom