APOD Firearms

Any suppressor owners in Baldwin County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fmjblack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently made my first suppressor purchase and have the long wait ahead of me for the tax stamp to arrive. I made the purchase through my Trust so that my wife can legally be in possession of the suppressor and because I have heard that the Baldwin County sheriff will not sign off on a suppressor. Well of course Obama decides to change the NFA laws to now require LEO sign-off, fingerprints and photos for trusts. So now I am worried that the ATF will come back months from now after the new regulations are in place and require that I obtain an LEO sign-off to finish processing my form 4. I live in Daphne city limits, so I can have the Daphne chief of police sign the form instead of the Sheriff, but I'm not sure if he will. Do any Baldwin county residents know if the Daphne police chief will sign-off on a suppressor? Hopefully it won't come to that, but I'm just trying to plan ahead just in case.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you end up needing a signature you're approaching it wrong. He's not signing off on allowing you to own it, he is acknowledging that you owning it isn't violating the law.

Fmjblack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you end up needing a signature you're approaching it wrong. He's not signing off on allowing you to own it, he is acknowledging that you owning it isn't violating the law.

I understand that he isn't allowing me to own it per say, but the end result is that if I need the signature and he won't sign, the ATF won't "allow" me to have the suppressor.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm surprised that Hoss Mack wouldn't sign off on NFA paperwork. I know the good Sheriff, and I've never picked up anything in conversation that he is oppossed to armed citizenry... Where did you hear that he wouldn't sign off -- a local gun store counter "expert". Call the Sheriff's Office for yourself and get reliable information.

Fmjblack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm surprised that Hoss Mack wouldn't sign off on NFA paperwork. I know the good Sheriff, and I've never picked up anything in conversation that he is oppossed to armed citizenry... Where did you hear that he wouldn't sign off -- a local gun store counter "expert". Call the Sheriff's Office for yourself and get reliable information.
    A couple of SOTs as well as a few local shooters have said that Hoss will sign off on machine guns, but not suppressors.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's pretty screwed up. All my stuff is in a trust so I haven't needed a signature even though I could get one with the previous crooked sheriff as well as the current crook. They may be crooked, but they like guns.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Always make them say no. Even if it's "known" they won't sign. It's the only way they know they are not offering a service that is needed. Make them, make the choice, every time.

When its time for election, reelection. Ask them in a letter, their position on sign offs. Let them know it matters to you. Let them know It costs them nothing but your vote to sign, or refuse.

If you live in the city limits, ask the police personally his stance.

Silencers are enjoying a tremendous jump in popularity. It's one reason the Obama administration wants to raise the tax to $500 and add indexed increases tied to inflation. To discourage ownership.

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I live in Daphne city limits, so I can have the Daphne chief of police sign the form instead of the Sheriff

Its been a long time since I looked at buying any NFA item, but doesn't it state somewhere it has to be the sheriff, not a city police chief?

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The form will be signed by the Chief Law Enforcement Officer or “CLEO” with jurisdiction over the individual’s area of residence.

So,

If you live in a city's limits, the city police chief has jurisdiction over your area of residence and may sign as CLEO as an option to the Sheriff's signature.

Last edited:

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't get it. Who the Hell does this guy think he is? If you are legal to own a suppressor, It's not up to him if you can or not. I thought the sign off was just so the cops knew you had one and the ATF to get some money out of you to make it more difficult to own one. The crazy thing to me is it's such a pain in the ass to have one here and in many places in Europe it's illegal to hunt without them. !!!! I've been wanting one forever but decided that I would rather the man not know I have ANY weapons. If the time comes, A, I can easily make one and Laws will no longer mean shit to me, and B, In those times I don't care how loud my shots are as long as they hit their target.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't get it. Who the Hell does this guy think he is? If you are legal to own a suppressor, It's not up to him if you can or not. I thought the sign off was just so the cops knew you had one and the ATF to get some money out of you to make it more difficult to own one. The crazy thing to me is it's such a pain in the ass to have one here and in many places in Europe it's illegal to hunt without them. !!!! I've been wanting one forever but decided that I would rather the man not know I have ANY weapons. If the time comes, A, I can easily make one and Laws will no longer mean shit to me, and B, In those times I don't care how loud my shots are as long as they hit their target.

The whole CLEO signoff is useless and redundant with computerized crime databases like NCIC. It was relevant back in the 1930s when the feds didn't know your hometown record, but its 2013 not 1934 and congress hasn't legislated it out of practice yet. Regrettably many CLEOs take advantage of the sign-off to incorporate their anti-2nd A stance or to deflect (assumed) potential liability.

On a side note out of curiosity, does Sam Cochran of Mobile County sign off? I know he was vehemently opposed to CCW reform in AL this year.

Last edited:

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just seems to me that it's not his job to think for you. If you qualify to own the thing it's his job to sign as aknowlegement of it and that's it. Sounds like a Dick move to pass it along just to make it harder.

Xenol

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On a side note out of curiosity, does Sam Cochran of Mobile County sign off? I know he was vehemently opposed to CCW reform in AL this year.

I let mine lapse and had to do the process over after the reform here in mobile. He would sign off before . And i could be wrong but while that was going on he made a statement that in the last year or years he had only denied 5 applications for ccw and it was due to a questionable background. After , it was walk into the office fill out the paperwork,Background check, picture ,card and out the door. The process was 15 min tops and you leave with your picture id ccw card. Now from what i read and watched and im not saying i got the facts 100% straight ... They took him giving approval away and the other things in the law that he was opposed too. As far as a suppressor paperwork goes i wouldnt have a clue. I migh be finding out soon as i just picked up a sr-22 with a threaded barrel.

bamachem

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Original question - Suppressor ownership in Baldwin Co? I have one - a Spectre II - and LOVE it.

The form will be signed by the Chief Law Enforcement Officer or “CLEO” with jurisdiction over the individual’s area of residence.

So,

If you live in a city's limits, the city police chief has jurisdiction over your area of residence and may sign as CLEO.

Q: What law enforcement officials’ certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.
    [27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85]

However, Sheriff Mack will NOT sign off. I called his office and asked and they flatly said "NO" to signing off on a Form 4 for a suppressor two years ago. I asked why and pressed and they finally said that he doesn't feel that "orinary citizens should need anything like that". That wasn't from the Sheriff himself, but from his handpicked staff who screen his calls.

I wanted to go the trust route anyway, but I called to see what they'd say.

I called once before a few years back about open carry, asking if it was true that it was legal. I got a bunch of run around questions about "where are you wanting to carry a gun?" and "why would you want to openly carry a firearm?" along with "are you trying to make people scared of you?" Eventually the lady on the other end admitted that it was not "illegal" but it was highly inadvised by his office because people "get scared and call 911 when they see a gun" and it ties up valuable resources. I asked why the 911 dispatchers weren't better trained to ask the right questions and she had enough and wanted to know my name. No thanks - then he could pull my pistol permit.

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of the candidates signs claim something like "I'm a law enforcement officer, not a politician". Don't remember which one. It's a good start anyway.

Top Bottom