Target Sports

Any Opinions or Experience with the S&W Shield 40?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have decided to finally send my XDS in for the recall.....
    In the meantime I need a new ccw and have been checking out the Shield 40. It's close in size and feels pretty good. Anyone have one they could speak on?

Good or Bad, open to other suggestions....
    Thanks,

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a 9 and I love it. I carry it now about 95% of the time, the other 5% my G26 gets the attention. Its reliable (about 2k rounds of fmj and 300 rounds of various hp. Never a hiccup) slim, light, and shoots straight. Carry mine in a crossbreed-esque hybrid holster from HR Holsters and you literally forget you are wearing it. Can't speak for the 40 but I highly recommend the 9

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love my 9 also..my father in law has the 40 and it is his EDC..I only put 1 mag thru his..too much snap for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just picked up,a 9. Haven't shot it yet. Trigger feel would be my only complaint but I was able to fix that with a little work.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Got a. 9 for the boss. Great grip feel, perfect safety placement (if you have/want it). Trigger pull is nice, definite take-up and break. Very faint double reset though, so follow up shots feel more like a DA revolver. I think this can be fixed, maybe? All guns are an exercise in compromise, but overall, very nice package, if you don't mind the snappiness if the 40, more power to you. As a platform, I'd definitely recommend it over most polymer wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought my girlfriend one in 9mm awhile back. Trigger is my only complaint, it's not bad and it smoothed out after shooting it. It points well, has a slim grip, and conceals easy. Great gun
    I actually bought one for my self as well, as it almost disappears while wearing a T-shirt and jeans or shorts. I will probably put an Apex trigger kit in mine.
    I am very pleased with the Shield in 9mm. I've never shot the .40, but have heard great things about it as well. I've just never been a .40 guy. I stick to 9mm or .45 for pistols I have for defensive roles.

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All good info, thanks for the responses....
    I will have to consider the 9mm with all the positives heard. I too like my 45 XDS and wish S&W made a 45 shield.

What Glock model is the slim/small .45?
    I'm curious how it compares to the XDS or Shielding size....

bamaslamma

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry the 9 everyday. Its by far the smoothest shooting out of the box 9mm I have found. I tote a .380 LCP with pocket holster, on occasions that require a tucked shirt.(rare) I carry IWB in back with the Shield, and I can jump in the truck and ride for hours before I realize its still there! I pondered the 40 but seems 9mm is a little easier ammo to find. Either way I think you will be thrilled with a Shield.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think "smallest" glock in 45 is the 36...single stack and thinner than G30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A surprising recent contender I have found in this category is the Taurus PT111 G2. It's a double stack but very slim. Carries just like a Shield, PPS, or XDs for me. As a matter of fact I carry it in a HR custom hybrid iwb holster that was made for an XDs. Holds 12 + 1 of 9mm.

They make one in a .40 cal to. Can be had for $329 at Academy or online but I paid $350 locally. Really nice shooter with a super short and crisp reset. If you can put aside the fact it's a Taurus and give it a chance you might be surprised. The more I shoot it the more I love it and can't believe the value.

Ever since seeing the penetration and expansion on the ballistic test of Federal HST 147 Grain 9mm I don't think twice about carrying 9mm. If 13 rounds of that don't get it done it's just not my day.

Last edited:

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had 2 Taurus handguns, an 850 CIA in .38 and PT111 in 9mm. The .38 was great. The 9mm went back to Taurus 2 times for issues. The second trip I traded it off.
    That turned me off of Taurus autos. I've heard they have gotten better, but I haven't messed with one in years.

FVNVTVK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a .40 Sheild and I absolutely love it. Did I say love it? Yeah, I love it.

"Snappiness" doesn't matter to me. When it jumps up in my hand and the target goes down, that's all that matters to me.
    I'm a terrible shot with a pistol, but not with the shield. It may be the recent change in my technique, but I've never shot a pistol and been so satisfied. (I've owned Glock, S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Bersa...)

I can tell you this- I held one of those compact XD .40s at the last gun show and it felt rough and blocky in my hand. Picked up the Shield after that, smiled and told the man SOLD. Been a happy camper ever since.

They had a recall as well- d/t the trigger safety- but info is posted on the Ampersand (S&W board) and gives detailed pics and manufact. dates affected by it.

Good luck. If you've got mitts like mine, it'll fit like a glove.

Oh yeah...TAURUS customer service SUCKS. Took em about 7 months to fix n return the revolver that pooped the cylinder into my hand after 10 rounds.
    Ill NEVER buy another Taurus as long as I live. I absolutely detest em!

Last edited:

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would have to ask if you like the xds 45? If so why not get the 9mm version.

Would make practice cheaper then shooting 45. I would imagine shooting a super small 45 is not what one would call a fun day at the range but I have not shot the XDS 45.

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would have to ask if you like the xds 45? If so why not get the 9mm version.

Would make practice cheaper then shooting 45. I would imagine shooting a super small 45 is not what one would call a fun day at the range but I have not shot the XDS 45.

I'm leaning toward the 9mm with all the comments in the forum and online. As far as the XDS, you'd be very surprised... The recoil is less than than my friends Glock 27 40cal. It's a pleasure to shoot. I even considered the S&W Bodyguard but I can't bring myself to buy a 380...lol.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'm leaning toward the 9mm with all the comments in the forum and online. As far as the XDS, you'd be very surprised... The recoil is less than than my friends Glock 27 40cal. It's a pleasure to shoot. I even considered the S&W Bodyguard but I can't bring myself to buy a 380...lol.

The bigger the caliber, the better, generally.
    Go for the 40 as you planned originally if the snap doesn't bother you. I personally don't like it, but would deal with it if I couldn't get a 45. I don't like 9's. I got it for my wife because that's what she wanted and I only have enough ammo for her mags and a range trip in case the mood sets in.

BTW, I just got a post recall XDS45, and carried it yesterday. Now, I see what everyone's been on about. It's a revelation. I hope you get yours back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Top Bottom