• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I want to. We eat lots of honey. We keep hens and want to expand to bees. Replied for subscription in interest.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I always have said if I hit the lotto I'm going to quit my day job...and start an apiary (bee hive business)...

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just started feeding bee's I was talking to a beekeeper about starting a hive just for the enjoyment of it and then later maybe for the honey but wasn't quite ready to get started so he advised me to make a bee feeder so I did and here for the last two weeks I have had it wrapped up with bees. I live in town and have not had many bees for the last several years but there must be a hive close by because they found my feeder and feed on it every day. cool to watch them

1956_4x4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just started feeding bee's I was talking to a beekeeper about starting a hive just for the enjoyment of it and then later maybe for the honey but wasn't quite ready to get started so he advised me to make a bee feeder so I did and here for the last two weeks I have had it wrapped up with bees. I live in town and have not had many bees for the last several years but there must be a hive close by because they found my feeder and feed on it every day. cool to watch them

I have never heard of a bee feeder. Any chance you can provide a little info on it?

Smitty

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have not done it .... But have friends that DID.
    Seems like it's not that hard to start up..... But turns into a LOT of work to maintain.
    We need more bees - so it's a great thing to do....but it seems like the odds of maintaining a SINGLE hive are pretty low.
    You will either end up with many or none.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bee

I just got a beehive to set up and was wondering if yall keep bees and have any advice?

I have a close friend that does it and lives near AL/FL line in Elsanor Hwy 90 area. i can put yall together if u like.

midway

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Contact the county extension office they have a class on Monday night also look up Escarosa beekeeping club.
    We have bees they are registerd with the Fl Dept of AGR. It is interesting .

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I found the idea on youtube it is not the feeder that is used in the hive it is just a simple one that is easy to make. I took a large plastic jar with plastic lid and drilled 5-1/16 holes toward the center of the lid and thats it. you make up the simple syrup by mixing equal parts water to sugar. I heat mine up to help dissolve the sugar I don't bring it to a boil its just not needed. anyway mix enough to fill the jar completely up so when you turn it over it forms a vacuum so the syrup won't run out of it you place it on two 3/4by3/4 sticks this allows the bees to get under the feeder and away you go I can sit for hours and just watch them feed IMG_0922.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0922.JPG
      IMG_0922.JPG
      463 KB · Views: 256
    Last edited:

1956_4x4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I found the idea on youtube it is not the feeder that is used in the hive it is just a simple one that is easy to make. I took a large plastic jar with plastic lid and drilled 5-1/16 holes toward the center of the lid and thats it. you make up the simple syrup by mixing equal parts water to sugar. I heat mine up to help dissolve the sugar I don't bring it to a boil its just not needed. anyway mix enough to fill the jar completely up so when you turn it over it forms a vacuum so the syrup won't run out of it you place it on two 3/4by3/4 sticks this allows the bees to get under the feeder and away you go I can sit for hours and just watch them feed View attachment 29600

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    #1 the bees do find it I was lucky that I had a flowering bush that the bees were on that allowed me to get them interested so when I had them coming to it I just moved it bees and all to where I wanted to set it up.
    #2 I just noticed a couple of ants on the feeder but I think that the bees will keep the competition down.
    #3 the solution doesn't have time to go bad the bees consume it in about three days believe it or not. They are ferocious eaters (the only draw back I see is I might go broke buying sugar)

1956_4x4

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    #1 the bees do find it I was lucky that I had a flowering bush that the bees were on that allowed me to get them interested so when I had them coming to it I just moved it bees and all to where I wanted to set it up.
    #2 I just noticed a couple of ants on the feeder but I think that the bees will keep the competition down.
    #3 the solution doesn't have time to go bad the bees consume it in about three days believe it or not. They are ferocious eaters (the only draw back I see is I might go broke buying sugar)

Thanks for the info. I might give this a try this year.

Smitty

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Thanks for the info everybody! I'm already wanting more than the one hive I have so far and there ain't even a bee in it. My buddy brought me some old comb I'm in the process of rendering the wax out of right now. Bees are some amazing little creatures and very good for the environment.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Contact the county extension office they have a class on Monday night also look up Escarosa beekeeping club.
    We have bees they are registerd with the Fl Dept of AGR. It is interesting .

Are you in the beekeeping club? I've been on that site getting info a lot lately. I don't live very far from the extension office so it would be easy for me to hit the meetings.

Top Bottom