DK Firearms

any electricians in the house that will help a guy out reasonable??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hey guys

I've had my workshop out back now almost 2 yrs. Intended on getting it wired up shortly after i got it ready but that never happened. I checked with local electricians who I have used before for price to run the line from my main to sub and hook both up. He gave me a good quote but said I would have to do all the digging for the underground wire and prep work. I dug and dug for weeks but with all the tree roots in the yard, it aint happening. I checked around also with other guys who have shops out back and many of them have a wire just on a pole from main running in the air to another pole and box to sub panel. THIS is the way I need to go. It's maybe a 45 ft run and no worry about wire being hit by vehicle or anything else due to its location, having line like 10-12 ft up is perfect. I've got my shed wiring in place, outlets, lights, etc mostly in place and sub panel mounted. What I need done is the wire run to disconnect probably, up a pole by the main, strung across to shed to another pole, i guess, and down into my sub panel. Hooked up on both ends and ready to roll. I am in process now of wiring in my breakers and getting them labeled. Hope to have that done here soon. SO, if anyone can do this for me legally and safely and will cut a guy on disability a break on price of labor + materials I would be very very grateful. Maybe I can return the favor or swap some other work for ya etc. Don't have any guns to trade for the work, sorry. Any thoughts, offers and ideas are appreciated. I am looking to run 100 amp sub panel, probably have maybe 10 (15)amp breakers in panel and maybe a couple 30 amps for small 100v welder down the line. Thanks guys!!

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    2663149 goodyear electric ask for nathan. Mom and pops business. Childhood friend of mine.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Considered renting a trencher?

Rick

This^^^^ Bet if you do some checking around there's someone that would do it cheap. I was fortunate to have free access to one when I did my shop. From start to finish the whole job took less than 2 hours and no overhead lines to worry about. Won't have to buy poles or additional lengths of lines (unless you already have it all).

mastablasta

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I would definitely trench it if I were you. Call Navarre Ready Rent, ask for Cody. You can get a self propelled trencher and a trailer for under $130 out the door for 4 hours. Shouldn't even take 30 minutes to trench 45 ft.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Considered trencher. 2 problems with that. One is there is no real room to trench where I need to go to get it anywhere close to main. Fence is too close to privacy fence to make that turn, Second, these are pretty substantial roots that I've been told will more than likely weaken my big pine tree that is right BY the house. It sways a lot during bad storms anyway. We are talking main roots inches in diameter. I would like to give trencher a shot but with the expense and unknown of the pine issue, don't see that as real option. Found out buddy is an electrician so gonna have him come by and give me his thoughts.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Shoot they make direct burial wire and as long as no one is driving over it you can run it right under the top soil

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure I'd want to put direct burial cable so shallow. I put mine down 3' because my dumb ass is liable to forget and I'll get all froggie landscaping with heavy equipment. Buried my water line that low too.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if you don't correctly install the supply circuit in epvc pipe, your ask'n for it in the future.
    I wouldn't direct burial a kiyote if I could help it....
    but its up to you. that's why I don't freelance my PE

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought direct burial cable and that's how I installed it. As I mentioned it's well underground but does go into conduit where it makes the turn up and into the building at one end and into the box at the supply end.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    that is acceptable in some area's...
    the direct burial wire/cable is more $$ than epvc and single conductors pulled through the pipe.
    you can always re-pull the conductors if needed for upgrade or hazardous digging......:doh:
    I am just look'n out for future needs.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    that is acceptable in some area's...
    the direct burial wire/cable is more $$ than epvc and single conductors pulled through the pipe.
    you can always re-pull the conductors if needed for upgrade or hazardous digging......:doh:
    I am just look'n out for future needs.

:rockon:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I paid $1.00 a foot for direct burial cable. I don't remember the gauge but I was assured by two electricians, master e guy and the county inspector that what I bought was overkill for 125 amp service. I don't think you'll get suiteable cable and conduit both for that. I also buried it deep enough that it will never be an issue while I'm here. I plan on being carried out of this place for the last time covered in a sheet.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I paid $1.00 a foot for direct burial cable. I don't remember the gauge but I was assured by two electricians, master e guy and the county inspector that what I bought was overkill for 125 amp service. I don't think you'll get suiteable cable and conduit both for that. I also buried it deep enough that it will never be an issue while I'm here. I plan on being carried out of this place for the last time covered in a sheet.

Good Lord! where on earth did you find direct bury cable for THAT price?? Regs here in Santa Rosa County say line must be buried 24" deep minimum. So yea, would most likely be below shrub planting depth. Are you running 120 and 240 in your shop?? I haven't decided which I need or if even both. None of my stuff requires 220 at the moment.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Good Lord! where on earth did you find direct bury cable for THAT price?? Regs here in Santa Rosa County say line must be buried 24" deep minimum. So yea, would most likely be below shrub planting depth. Are you running 120 and 240 in your shop?? I haven't decided which I need or if even both. None of my stuff requires 220 at the moment.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I bought that line at City Electric on Navy Blvd. Due to copper prices I'm sure it is higher nowadays but I suspect it's still cheaper than buying conduit, etc.too. Check with them if you haven't purchased your cable yet. At the time I bought mine they beat everyone's price, especially Home Depot or Lowe's.

I ran 240 anticipating that I'll eventually upgrade my compressor to a much larger unit and possibly run a small welding setup. If you're going to the trouble to properly wire your shop you really should go 240 even if you don't plan on anything large at this time. I doubt there is much difference in the cable price but even if there is you'll save a lot of hassle in the long run. Probably overkill again but I took one of my 240 slots and lines and terminated it at a 120 outlet so that each receptacle was only one leg but had a dedicated run. Reason behind that was not only can I use that outlet for my computer or TV with a "clean" supply of electricity but if I ever want to go 240 I can just pull out the connections, install the proper outlet and go back.

Yeah, county codes provide minimum depths but I do consider them "minimums". I have a lot of long range plans for outdoor cooking/party areas, landscaping and such and I know me well enough that I'm likely to forget at the wrong moment that I have utilities buried. I use equipment like our Cat 287B with plain, grapple, root and spade buckets for projects and I can get down 24" really easy. In fact last Spring I decided to get rid of the Azaleas around my front porch. Being the lazy bastard that I am I used the spade bucket and ripped those bushes out like they stole money from me. When I was done I jumped off the machine to proudly look over my work and realized I had missed the water supply line coming from the meter by literally an inch. Do I know better? Absolutely. Did I think about it that day. Nope. LOL If you absolutely cannot bury that cable deep then do run it pole to pole for safety.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with Seanster, wire it for 240 even if you currently have no plans for anything using it. You just never know.

Rick

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My shop is powered with direct burial cable. My only issue came when lightning popped a pine tree that the cable ran past. I could have repaired the break in the line, but I just replaced the line and made a different route away from that damned tree.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't know if it would actually do anything but I'm well grounded at the house end and have large copper ground rods at both ends of my shop. That place is grounded like a mofo.

Top Bottom