• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would've posted this in rifle forum but that seems to be just about modern rifles. I have a Win 94 short rifle made in 1896 with a 20' octagon barrel chambered in 32-40 with a crescent buttplate. The wood has all been replaced with new walnut (when I got it, it had no wood). Metal is good with a few dents on the receiver and some pitting in the barrel. The action seems to work fine but I've never fired it (no ammo). This thing has been in my safe for years; is it worth anything or just a wall hanger? Any interest here?

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The Winchester market is picky and precise. You really need to take it to an true Winchester expert.

Most collectors want original wood, but it may be a certain caliber or some other feature that is rare. If the metal is in good condition there could be a strong market if original wood is available.

So - It is either worth a lot or a little or somewhere in between.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    There's a butt for every seat. You just gotta find it. For a collector the wood is going to be an issue. Something else that struck me while reading it was, what if someday someone with a 9mm pistol was making the post.....

ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry, meant to post 3 thumbnails but something went wrong and I can't edit out the additional pictures.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's definitely more than "just a wall hanger", but if you were gonna hang a 124-year-old lever gun on a wall, you've got a great choice with beautifully patina'd steel, an octagon barrel, and furniture like that.

However, without knowing if it's mechanically sound, coupled with the difficulty of finding 32-40 Winchester ammo to test it, your pool of buyers is limited.

Good lookin' rifle, though. Whoever chose, fitted, and finished the new furniture did a nice job.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Starline makes runs of 38-55 that is longer and can be formed for it. .30-30 or 38-55 could be formed for it but it would be a little short.

ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I reload pistol (Dillon square deal) but not rifle and I already have a late model '94 in 44mag so I really have no use for this rifle. Already got a black powder rifle on the wall.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I reload pistol (Dillon square deal) but not rifle and I already have a late model '94 in 44mag so I really have no use for this rifle. Already got a black powder rifle on the wall.

If it functions well, buy a box of ammo or get a nice reloading FEINs make you 50 rounds and stick it on the wall. Self defense and art in one.

I have a nice octagonal barrel 30-30 on my wall.

ammodave

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm such a crack shot I thought one round from the 50 cal muzzle loader would be enough for any home invaders.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Top Bottom