• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just picked up an Automag 22. magnum. It was pretty dirty. Cleaned it up and fired 1 shot from it... Noticed the ejected cartridge had small
    amounts of shaved brass left in the chamber... upon further examination i found tiny holes in the chamber. Left from the brass imprint there is 12 of these little holes... The amount of brass from one shell is alarming. I'm wondering what repeated firing will do...
    Does anybody know about these. I've seen one or two for safety reasons but 12 holes...??? I know Automags don't have the best reputation
    has anyone had luck with these... ????

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ....tiny holes in the chamber." ??? Are you sure that this is not small flakes of unburned powder ?? --- SAWMAN

ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nope... Shavings in the chamber... Took a magnifier to the chamber. There's holes definitely. a pattern of 6 evenly spaced around the chamber in the rear
    and in the front... Puzzles me.. ???

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    It seems that the original Automag .22 mags had "tiny chamber holes that were used to delay the blow-back operation". If it is shaving brass, I would not suspect the holes in that. Will dig a bit more to see if the shaving was an issue with them, unless they are clogged and not delaying the blow-back, which would make it abrupt/forceful in extraction. Might see if you could find a stiff wire of the right diameter to snake them out.

Seems not much online about them, must be because of limited production and being out of production well before Al Gore invented the net! LOL

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The good news: At least the gun is functional even though you will have to clean it more frequently to maintain function. .22 is not reloaded so we don't care what happens to the case as long as they are not shaved to the point of being unsafe to fire which is really a long shot.

Confirm what you found.

Clean it real well. mark a round with a dot on the rim. Dot will give you an index point to assist in locating problem area.

Hand feed a round (no mag) into the chamber (Dot @ 12 o'clock pos) and feel for resistance. Any? Any shavings around rim or mouth of chamber?

Over a clean page of printer paper with ejection port down: slowly push round out of chamber with a cleaning rod. Any Shaving on paper, in chamber or receiver area? Inspect round any areas where brass has been damaged?

Clean you mags. Fill a mag. Again use a marked rim on every round and have dots "up". Put clean paper on table and roll another into funnel. Thumb eject rounds into funnel and let them fall thru onto the paper. Tap out funnel to dislodge any shavings onto paper. Tap out mag on paper to remove shavings too. Inspect rounds for brass shaving damage. Look for cause of brass cutting.

If the above isolation tests do not create the shavings. Perform similar feed check with a full mag but SLOWLY let the bolt chamber the round. Feel for binding while looking for shaving (One round only). Pull mag (over the paper), pull slide back slowly while feeling for resistance and slowly eject/drop it onto the paper. Inspect round for damage/Shaving, Inspect receiver, chamber, extractor and around ejector for of shavings.

Mag removed. Index a new dot round by hand into the chamber. Let slide slowly snap over rim the extract and slowly eject. Any damage or shaved brass from rim. Repeat test but let bolt snap forward from full back position and extractor snap over rim. Remove slowly and inspect everything. Repeat again only eject hard with yank on slide. Inspect everything.

Chamber "holes". A hole is completely through an object. The factory put some in to help extraction. Pitting in chambers on the other hand common on firearms that have not been well maintained and/or shot with corrosive cartridge powders and primers. Even a round left in a chamber for a very long will start corrosion due to dissimilar metal contact. Improper cleaning with hard metal objects will damage chambers. Use a bright bore light and confirm holes, pits or fouling deposits.

If you follow this you will find the source of the shavings and be able to correct it. Not much you can do with a pitted chamber but clean and keep it from getting worse.

Let us know what you find.
    WR

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Where did you get your Automag? I'm looking to buy one myself. I've not found any bad reviews on them, or I'd been looking to buy a different pistol.
    I've read some neg. reviews on the .45 Hardballer tho.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had the 22 Mag AMT.....I never had an issue like you are describing. It was an excellent and LOUD pistol!!!! 1 of the few guns I hated that I got rid of!!!

ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Zeroed .. I was fortunate a friend gave me the lead on it.. he didn't know i was looking for one... Told me and i latched on to it ASAP.
    This was a pawn shop tho... If my friend thought i was hot for one he never would have told me... heh heh... Now he wants a finders fee.

The more i examine the construction of the gun.. I'm surprised it could even function.. Tool marks all over it... The barrel is welded to the chamber.
    the barrel rod is a washer welded to a rod.. sloppy i might add... This was so dirty the firing pin didn't move at first when i pressed it with my finger..
    After a lot of juice it freed up as it is spring loaded... the tool marks on the slide are amazing... looks like decoration... this ones made in Irwindale
    I'm thinking it's an original manufactured gun... The more i look at pricing from low as $500.00 on up to 900 for the AMT 2 i didn't pay near that much...

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I should hope not... (price)... I've been looking for awhile on buying one. I'm either going to buy it, or the PMR30, maybe both..... Already have a PMR30 on order, hopefully it will be here by July???
    That's why I've been looking at the AMT.. something to burn up all this 22 mag ammo I have..

I sure wasn't aware that they welded their barrels onto the chamber.. Maybe it's not factory, and all the tool marks are from someone locking it down to weld?? Either way, so long as it shoots, and is fairly accurate, I may still buy one.
    Thanks for the info on it.. g/l with yours..

Top Bottom