• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems to me that ammo prices have leveled out, most panic buying ( for Now) has stopped. I watch a few gun forums for deals and such, as a lot of us do, and I have noticed that ammo sales are not being snapped up like they were a few weeks / month ago. Stuff is just not moving at prices people were getting a little while ago. I'm sure there are several obvious reasons .I'm just glad to see it. Last gun show in FWB was more ammo then I had ever seen there, but only selling in small amounts, just like normal. Prices should start dropping soon until Dems start up on gun control ....again.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I sure hope you’re right, been trying to find some 243 Remington Corelokt since last November, and other calibers I shoot are priced way too high currently if I’m even lucky enough to find it

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Seems to me that ammo prices have leveled out, most panic buying ( for Now) has stopped. I watch a few gun forums for deals and such, as a lot of us do, and I have noticed that ammo sales are not being snapped up like they were a few weeks / month ago. Stuff is just not moving at prices people were getting a little while ago. I'm sure there are several obvious reasons .I'm just glad to see it. Last gun show in FWB was more ammo then I had ever seen there, but only selling in small amounts, just like normal. Prices should start dropping soon until Dems start up on gun control ....again.
    Maybe in FWB. I sure haven't seen this. As soon as somebody has it, it's gone!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the pricing is stabilizing maybe, but is still mostly high and some people seem to charging like 25 cents for a primer locally. 9 mm is the still most sought

Checked SGAmmo internet pricing The cheapest 5.56 per round was $0.69) for Golden tiger steel cased

20 Round Box - 308 Win 150 Grain FMJ Steel Case Wolf Ammo $1/round

9x19 pistol Sorry, all options in this caliber are currently sold out, please check back later.

Yoda

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Limit 2 boxes, but wife & son got 2 each, so 6.
    They still got some so wife getting 2 more today.
    Wife works there, so I know in advance what's coming in.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Limit 2 boxes, but wife & son got 2 each, so 6.
    They still got some so wife getting 2 more today.
    Wife works there, so I know in advance what's coming in.

That sounds like you’ve got the inside track, so for most folks it’s 2 boxes per day which is better than nothing.
    But it would require many trips to acquire enough ammunition for a range day.

Yoda

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    True, and I get 20% employee discount
    I got 4 boxes 200 CT 45fmj last week. Sitting on 1200 9mm & 2000 22lr.
    What ammo shortage?

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After passing the "covid relief" bill today,the House is going to move on to gun control. Without a mass shooting event to pivot off of, any measures will probably be "chip away at the 2nd "type laws. With an event,they will go for the gold. Under this administration and Congress I see ammo prices and availability not falling for at least until the 2022 elections. Social unrest will only exacerbate a higher trend on prices. Just my 2 cents.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    True, and I get 20% employee discount
    I got 4 boxes 200 CT 45fmj last week. Sitting on 1200 9mm & 2000 22lr.
    What ammo shortage?
    That would last me about a month or two if I was lucky. .69 per 223 is still very high. I'm sure glad I reload and stocked up hopefully to last me the rest of my life. I learned my lesson back in 2013 when we had the last ammo shortage. I will never rely on store purchased ammo again!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The net is not the be all end all of ammo.
    .69 for steel case ammo is just stupid. Yesterday I got Win 62gr brass 5.56 @ .055 per at local Academy.
    In these days academy is the cheaper source, but me I have to make a trip into town and maybe they have something and maybe they do not. And you buy what ever there is, even if you do not need it so much.

Internet let the mouse to the shopping, but now days you pay more.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW this was part of the SGAmmo newsletter I got yesterday.

"Many things that were once normal have changed in this time including price and availability of ammunition. We have been dealing with severe shortages of supply, demand that has been off the charts, countless price increases from most major manufacturers and importers, dramatic increases in copper prices, a US dollar that has lost substantial value vs the Euro, and shortages on primers and powder for the many ammo manufacturers that rely on 3rd party sources for these two key components needed to build ammo. It has been the 'perfect storm' to drive prices way up and make many popular types of ammo totally unavailable."

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW this was part of the SGAmmo newsletter I got yesterday.

"Many things that were once normal have changed in this time including price and availability of ammunition. We have been dealing with severe shortages of supply, demand that has been off the charts, countless price increases from most major manufacturers and importers, dramatic increases in copper prices, a US dollar that has lost substantial value vs the Euro, and shortages on primers and powder for the many ammo manufacturers that rely on 3rd party sources for these two key components needed to build ammo. It has been the 'perfect storm' to drive prices way up and make many popular types of ammo totally unavailable."

for the the 7.62x39

The Vympel factory could not source primers for regular production so they disassembled a stockpile of 1970s vintage military surplus ammo harvesting the primed case, then stenciled their logo and '7.62x39' on the case and used that primed case to load lead core commercial ammo for the US market.

The original bullets were likely steel core and I wish they could slip some of those in for sure.

Ron

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just read H.B.127 introduced by Rep. Jackson Lee, a Democrat in Texas and I think the worst is still yet to come. If anyone is not familiar with it, read it and it will blow your mind what these people are wanting to do. A national gun registry, A background check which includes family, spouse, ex's you name it. A required license, a mental health physical and required liability insurance to legally own a gun... Really? The fines for non-compliance ranges from $10,000 up to as much as $75,000 or $100,000 plus some serious jail time! This bill has been introduced this month. You can thank Biden for this as he is encouraging lawmakers to take action. Makes me wonder how much longer our right to bear arms will last. They are not trying to keep guns out of the bad guy's hands because they know that would be impossible. They are targeting the law abiding citizens! Prices will never come back down with threats like this... Oh before you say something like "that would never pass" just remember that everyone was saying Biden didn't have a snowballs chance of beating Trump. I hope I'm wrong but I feel someday something like this will eventually pass. It's just a matter of time I'm afraid. Just watch the gun and ammo prices soar at the thought of this...I can't help but wonder what the future looks like for our grand children?

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just read H.B.127 introduced by Rep. Jackson Lee, a Democrat in Texas and I think the worst is still yet to come. If anyone is not familiar with it, read it and it will blow your mind what these people are wanting to do. A national gun registry, A background check which includes family, spouse, ex's you name it. A required license, a mental health physical and required liability insurance to legally own a gun... Really? The fines for non-compliance ranges from $10,000 up to as much as $75,000 or $100,000 plus some serious jail time! This bill has been introduced this month. You can thank Biden for this as he is encouraging lawmakers to take action. Makes me wonder how much longer our right to bear arms will last. They are not trying to keep guns out of the bad guy's hands because they know that would be impossible. They are targeting the law abiding citizens! Prices will never come back down with threats like this... Oh before you say something like "that would never pass" just remember that everyone was saying Biden didn't have a snowballs chance of beating Trump. I hope I'm wrong but I feel someday something like this will eventually pass. It's just a matter of time I'm afraid. Just watch the gun and ammo prices soar at the thought of this...I can't help but wonder what the future looks like for our grand children?

If Xiden cared about our grandchildren he wouldn’t have pushed us into 1.9 TRILLION dollars more debt.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With most folks not shooting as much ,and many of them stocked up on ammunition , it appears that ammunition is a little more available. The retail price increase has taken some of the profits away from the resellers, likely reducing the number of folks willing to wait in line for a couple of boxes to resell.Hopefully things will continue to improve.

Top Bottom