• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok, I had a custom rifle built in 7mm-08 a while back and just got around to shooting it today. I went and bought some Hornady Superformace at Academy and headed up to the lease. Everything was going along great for the first 5 shots. On the 6th shot I got a weird sound and strange smoke coming from the receiver. I ejected the shell and the primer was completely missing. I found the primer itself in the receiver. I was running short on time and did not try to fire the rifle again.

Have any of you guys ever experienced something like this? What should my next step be?

Thanks for any help.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You surely had a blow out that needs to be addressed before you pull the trigger again. I would put the gun and ammo back in the builders lap and say fix it.

Is the bore clear? Is the chamber clear of brass or partial brass.

What type of action? What type of feed? Need pics of case and pic of primer side facing bolt and bolt face.

Are you 100% sure the chamber is 7mm-08?

Are any other fired primers set back? Anything think out of the norm on other fired brass?

Are any other fired primers kinda melted back filling in the entire casing primer area filling in all the gap?

Compare fired case to unfired case. Is fired case longer (fire formed)? Is the shoulder or neck different?

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    possible headspace problem get it back to the gunsmith ASAP and have EVERYTHING checked

joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was wondering if there was a headspace issue there. This is beyond aggravating ...

Bore and chamber appear to be clear.

Model 700 action.

Chamber should be 7-08, that is what I had built and to tell you the truth I never checked it. I took the gun to a very reputable smith to be built.

I have all the brass I fired today and will look it over tomorrow for any inconsistencies.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Add to my last.

The ammo you listed is advertised by Hornady as being 200 FPS then conventional ammo. No factory recall on this ammo.

Others having problems with this ammo. Recommend you shitcan the ammo either way. Dozens of complaints on all Superformance but a lot of specific 7mm.08 complaints.
    http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=703026
    http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19253
    http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331653

Could be an oversized primer pocket, loaded to over-pressure ammo, Even ammo left in direct hot Sun light will raise pressures.

What size is your Action: Long or magnum? Either could have been used.

If you have a caliper you can compare the unfired case to a the fired cases and the blooper case. Manufactures may be a little off from the SAMMI Specs.
    Did the floor plate open and/or any distortion.

Spec here on page 29.
    http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/206.pdf

On a side note there were issues with the Rem 700 action with unintentional discharges while the firearm was "On Safe" You need to find out what year your action is and if it has had the mod. Plenty of info on the net about this,

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You said you had a custom barrel put on, check the free bore, Factory 700 come with about 150-175 thous., this allowed for shooting the newer high pressure ammo, When I reset a barrel I try and put it with about 50 thous. free bore. If it has a close free bore the pressure can rise in a hurry. There are warns about this in the past, put this younger group that has,t reloaded don't seem to know about this. Just my 50 cents jj

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think your rifle must be no good. I'll buy it 1/2 of what you paid for it. :violin:

No really tho, I'm a 7mm-08 fan too, and I've been reading up on the Hornady Superformance SST and GMX rounds. There shouldn't be anything wrong with your rifle.
    It's the cartridge/bullet that's the problem, at least from what I've read on it.
    I'd suggest to send a email to Hornady and tell them about it.

joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys, sorry for the slow response. Yeah, I'm fairly certain it is an ammo issue along with tighter than factory tolerances on my rifle. Ammo is going back to Hornady for some pressure testing. I'm on my phone right now but I will update with more details either later today or tomorrow when I'm around my computer.

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice. And yeah, my case looked just like the one in the link that Zeroed in posted above.

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom