• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Two new Air force pilots were arriving at an airfield they had never been to before. About a mile out on final approach the pilot looked out the windshield and said "man, that's a short runway, better give me 1/3 brakes. 1/3 flaps". Copilot replied "1/3 brakes. 1/3 flaps".

Closer, about a half mile out the pilot looked up from his instruments again and said "man, that's a short runway, better give me 2/3 brakes, 2/3 flaps. Copilot responded, "2/3 brakes, 2/3 flaps".

At 1/4 mile out the pilot once again looked out the front and said with even more concern "man, that's a short runway, better give me full brakes, full flaps". Copilot as commanded "full brakes, full flaps".

So as the aircraft touched down both pilots were doing all they could to get the plane slowed in time and succeeded in stopping just at the very edge of the runway pavement.

In a sigh of relief the pilot wiping his sweaty forehead said, "man, that is one short runway" !!!!

The copilot, shading his eyes with his hand and looking right and left out the side windows said "yea, but is sure is wide".

Rick

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm former Air Force but I will not disagree with that. When I was working the missile silos in Montana we had Huey pilots that could not find their way back to base without following the highways.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ah, fellow missile man. I was on a Pershing missile crew in the Army. The cold war, sure named that one right!

Rick

JGH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm former Air Force but I will not disagree with that. When I was working the missile silos in Montana we had Huey pilots that could not find their way back to base without following the highways.

I wasn't on a missile crew, but I was stationed at McConnell AFB that had Titan II's. I was in the 23rd TFW.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cold is right. I was on a missile site one night when the official low was -32. Wind chill was -80. If you could find it to get it out, you could pee on a concrete wall and it never ran to the ground.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ha! It's actually happened before...

Just about a year ago -- July 20, 2012 -- USAF C-17 mistakenly lands on the 3,400 foot runway at Peter O' Knight airport...instead of McDill AFB across the bay! In comparison -- Peter O' Knight's runway is about the same length as the Peter Prince airport in Milton!

Landing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkuqsd_tRHw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Take-off (after a crew change and much planning...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi58Ds3Krgw

News report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHMhClzfoi8

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems like the 80s or 90s a Delta DC-9 landed at McDill instead of Tampa International like he was supposed to. Tampa ATC must have been asleep. I've been in that tower, placed between two parallel runways. you can see for many miles.

Rick

neohornet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ha! It's actually happened before...

Just about a year ago -- July 20, 2012 -- USAF C-17 mistakenly lands on the 3,400 foot runway at Peter O' Knight airport...instead of McDill AFB across the bay! In comparison -- Peter O' Knight's runway is about the same length as the Peter Prince airport in Milton!

Landing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkuqsd_tRHw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Take-off (after a crew change and much planning...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi58Ds3Krgw

News report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHMhClzfoi8

WOW, is all I got to say.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nowhere near as spectacular but kind of funny was the Dimona crash here in 1998. Some guy flew it cross country and was setting up for a landing at Ferguson. He sat it down pretty as you please in that then new neighborhood about a mile North of the threshold. He said he knew he was in trouble when the long wingspan motorglider wouldn't clear the Porta-Potties and sewage stobs on both sides of the runway. I almost bought that thing from the insurance company till I found out they wanted $100K (Germany) for a replacement left wing.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Sean, on a side note I recently bought one of the MS flight simulator programs. I'm amazed how realistic it is. I've been flying a Baron to Mobile and back (in real time) practicing up on VOR and GPS navigation. Finally got to where I can land the thing without scattering it all over the runway. You can set all the parameters, clouds, crosswinds, fog, heavy traffic, day/night, in flight emergencies, everything.

When I get more time on it I'm going to start practicing ILS. I see where this thing could be a great flight training tool to learn procedures, instruments, ATC and navigation. WARNING: very addicting !!!!

Rick

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Or this with 3 monitors for side views.

Rick

Attachments

• mTk-vB05GmCwFg2UnrTi-xQ.jpg
      mTk-vB05GmCwFg2UnrTi-xQ.jpg
      11.7 KB · Views: 81