• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NWFLYJ

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cool video, sorry it is Air Force.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/40935850" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/40935850">2012 Raytheon Award Video</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user11387660">Jersey</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    pilots are a special breed.

If you EVER doubt this, just ask us. We'll confirm it for ya! even if all we fly are little ol' Cessnas!

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I work on the local AFSOC USAF base, Hurlburt Field...I affectionately call it 'Camp Snoopy', compared to a USMC air station...

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Now now boys...I'm a retired Marine who worked aviation my whole time...are Marine pilots the best...who knows, I sure dont. Now having worked at Camp Snoopy for the last 10 yrs or so, I can say that the way the USAF enlisted maintainers take care of their aircraft compared to the Marines, there is no comparison, the Marines are better at overall shape of aircraft. Now in good looks, the USAF wins as I have seen whole planes brought into the paint hanger and painted nearly 99% of the airplane which Navy/Marines cannot do per the 4790. USAF does it by not painting the flaps, and ailerons...

By the way, the Carolina Lawn Darts (Harriers) are basically for close air support (read: grunt back-up), not air to air. The British in the Falklands war did prove they could stand and fight a third world banana republic air force in air to air...

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not sure Aim-9a vs AA-2 or guns was a fair comparison but the Harriers whooped 'em good. All the pointy nose guys hoop and hollar about ACM or A/G. The Hog and the Bombers do all the heavy lifting in every theater. 1 or 2 GBU-12s at a time is almost a waste! So is a 1.3 hr sortie. When you can only carry 2-3xs your ordinance in gas you're in trouble. Now the old A-6. F-4, Thud,and Corsair II were real fighter bombers. We don't have much of those anymore. Just 15Es and Super Hornets.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok every one knew I would jump in on this.Don't know which branch takes the best care of there aircraft because I worked on Bombers and Tankers and the air frame life on a B52 is about a million hours . But I looked into the Harrier when they were brought up before. Over 1/3 of the fleet has crashed and killed I don't know how many of the folks that flew them.

In real close air support they were pretty much a failure as I think it said that 3 in 5 hit by ground fire crashed. I was asked to give links to what I post and as I said in my answer my link is GOOGLE. They were Hard to work on and hard to keep flying because of all the maintance problems. I am in no way putting down Marines but that airplane was a mystake from the start. The UK dosen't even fly them any more. They only did a good job when useing guided wepons from a long distance and away from ground fire.

robert49r

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats why the marines bought them. The brits practically gave them to us. The bastardized sons who don't get funding. Fight with what they give us. BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY USMC!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    One thing that I have over military pilots - I won't miss my job when I retire.
    I always assumed that the Navy pilots were the best. Who else lands on boats?

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are best at landing on small moving pitching things in on the ocean. Now for the thing about who are the best. I would not dare to go there.But I don't think the Marines have a flying team do they. That should stir things up.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Really guys? the Navy has the best pilots, always has always will. As the Navy was navigating in WWII the Army Air Corps/AF was following roads and RR tracks to get where they were going...LOL Try to get an AF piolt to land on a carrier...OOOPS

Champ62

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Currently, the Blue Angels have 16 officers, 4 of them are USMC. They have Marines mixed in with the maintenance dept too.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank, Frank, I don't remember corsars leading bombers over Germany LOL You are right a B52 sure would make a splash landing on a carrier even with that drag chute out.
    Champ62 I didn't know that. I stand corrected. Sorry Marines. Forgive me?

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was talking about b52 now. Now they did take some b25 off to bomb Japan. Would have had a hell of a time landing them.

Top Bottom