• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Picked up the rest of the parts today, got to work putting it together.

First off... damn near EVERYTHING was tight and difficult, but not impossible, to put together... a good thing, this rifle is as solid as a rock. Fit of parts... smooth lines that blend together, could not be more pleased.

PARTS LIST, COST, SOURCE:

Schuyler Arms
    Aero M5 Upper/Lower Combo (stripped upper) $205.00
    M5 Upper Parts Kit $20.00
    Aero Charging Handle $25.00
    Aero Nickel Boron BCG $190.00
    Aero M5 LPK $70.00
    Aero M5 Mil Spec 6-pos Tube, Spring, Buffer Kit $ 55.00

SHIPPING $25.50

TOTAL $590.50

Aero Precision
    .308 CMV 16" Mid-Length 1-10 twist $240.00
    Gas Tube, Melonite $16.99
    15% Black Friday Discount - $38.55

SHIPPING FREE

TOTAL $218.44

SLR Rifleworks
    13" .308 SOLO Mid Series Key Mod $194.99
    Sentry 7 Set Screw Premium Adjustable Gas Block $107.99

Florida Sales Tax $18.69
    SHIPPING FREE

TOTAL $322.68

PRIVATE PURCHASE
    MagPul STR stock $69.00
    MBUIS REAR $35.00

J&B GUNS
    MagPul Front BUIS and TRANSFER FEE ($25.00) $69.55

TOTAL BUILD $1,305.17

Function- using standard factory Federal 147gr FMJ, I fired a few rounds adjusting the gas block to get a damn near perfect 3:00 ejection. 100% feed and eject from MagPul 20-round mag. Magazine inserts easily and drops free, a plus. Out of about 25 rounds, during gas block adjusting, BCG failed to lock back three times... something I think I got tuned right as the final 3 round 1-shot bolt hold open tests were 100% successful. I'm extremely please with the zero feeding/ejecting performance.

Ergonomics- feels like a AR15... don't have a way to weigh it but it is lighter than expected, I mean really light. Nice cheek weld in-line with the BUIS when raised.

What's Left- I need to order a YHM Phantom OD Brake so I can use my Phantom LT suppressor, the A2 isn't even indexed and is just serving as a thread protector for now. I need some rail covers, a light, and a sling. I'll need some more P-Mags for sure. Optics is the big question... what to do, what to do. I'm leaning towards making this a more SPR/DRM mid-range rifle vs. a QCB rifle... so I'm looking at something in the 1-4 or 1-6 power range in 30mm.

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice build and thanks for all the detailed info. I'm going to build my first AR in the next few weeks. I'm going to do a 5.56 build first but a 308 build will defiantly be following and you gave me some great info. Thanks. Looks like you built a nice gun. Keep us posted on how it all works out.

-Al

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nice build and thanks for all the detailed info. I'm going to build my first AR in the next few weeks. I'm going to do a 5.56 build first but a 308 build will defiantly be following and you gave me some great info. Thanks. Looks like you built a nice gun. Keep us posted on how it all works out.

Thank you for the reply...

I got the QD swivels in today along with the YHM QD Brake so those will be added... have a Specter Gear 3-pt sling on the way as well.

This thing is eating anything and everything I'm feeding it... 147gr factory ball, 147gr reload ball, 168 FGMM, Hornady 110 TAP, all are functioning 100% with 100% bolt lock back when empty. Closing in on the 100 round mark with zero issues.

I already have another upper/lower/BCG/CH on the way for a second build... either will be a 20" 6.5CM or 20" .308, not sure yet which one will get the nod.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good looking build. Only thing left to do is change out that girlie hands pistol grip. That is one of the very first things that goes on ANY AR build that I am doing,in any chambering. IMO even more important on anything >a 223/5.56.

MagPul also sells a small recoil pad for the end of that buttstock. Just thoughts ..... your gun. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good looking build. Only thing left to do is change out that girlie hands pistol grip. That is one of the very first things that goes on ANY AR build that I am doing,in any chambering. IMO even more important on anything >a 223/5.56.

MagPul also sells a small recoil pad for the end of that buttstock. Just thoughts ..... your gun.

Yep... grip will certainly get tossed... usually I see them on the EE on AR15.com... have my eyes open for one. As for the recoil pad... for some reason this thing shoots relatively soft BUT then again most of the shooting has been with lighter bullets... 147gr and 110gr.... at this time I don't see getting one but thanks for reminding me of the availability.

Alcolee

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you been happy with the quality of the Aero Precision parts you've used? I've been looking at their stuff to possibly use on my build, but having never built one, just wasn't sure. Looks like nice stuff. What's your impression?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The recoil pads from MagPul that go on their stock are fairly "tacky" feeling. Although my main load is a 130gr bullet at less that max velocity,the slammin' back and forth of that somewhat big/heavy BCG seems to make the butt of my rifle slip down on my shoulder when the forearm is rested.
    I feel that the little pad helps to mitigate this somewhat.

I usually go with a fatter grip WITH somewhat deep finger grooves. THEN .....(uggggggg !) I put pieces of bycicle inner tube on the grip to make is more "tacky" and fatten it up even more. (My AR/308 is a hunting gun.) --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have you been happy with the quality of the Aero Precision parts you've used? I've been looking at their stuff to possibly use on my build, but having never built one, just wasn't sure. Looks like nice stuff. What's your impression?

Yes, very happy... the upper and lower fit was tight. Finish looks rich and smooth. For a standard LPK (came from Aero), the trigger is quite nice, many times the standard LPK FGC's has several discernable "creep spots" in the trigger one can feel, if careful attention is paid, before the trigger breaks. This trigger has a smooth non-interrupted feel to the creep and does not feel like it has a long stroke before breaking. I hope I explained it good enough to understand.

The Aero barrel extension fit well but not tight... I'd say a notch below "snug" would describe it. I'm not worried about ringing every ounce of accuracy out of this build so I did not bother with things you see people recommend such as shimming the barrel extension or using bedding compound to take up any excess space. In fact, I have multiple AR precision builds (5.56, 6.8) that shoot at best @ .500-.600" to an average of .800" regularly and I've never messed with doing the bedding/shimming thing... but I'm sure it won't hurt anything.

The Aero carbine stock (mil spec 6-position extension, spring, and buffer) kit fit like a glove... the MagPul stock fits perfect with virtually no wobble what so ever... snug but slides nicely. Perhaps due to the adjustable gas block, no issues with over gas/under gas and messing with various buffer weights.

The Aero BCG is very slick and smooth feeling, the first nickel boron BCG I've ever bought... it was on sale so I went with it.

Bottom line... I've been putting AR15's together since 2001-2002 and in recent years really wanted to get into the large frame AR game BUT due to reading all the horror stories of guys spending $1200-$2000 on parts only to have a non-functioning rifle turned me away from the idea. After seeing and shooting a friends Aero M5 build back in November, I was sold on giving the Aero route a go... and I'm damn glad I did. So much in fact, I have another lower, upper, BCG, and CH headed my way. Next up is either a .308 or 6.5CM 20" build.

I had been wanting to do a Mega build, but the prices on their parts are higher, I found Aero to be a worthy substitute. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom