DK Firearms

A good woman would rather go to the woods...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Choppersled

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I listened to my better half and decided to spend a day in the woods this weekend. We packed up Saturday afternoon with a tent, sleeping bags and the necessities for a night in the wild and headed up to Blakely. Given, this isn't bare bones camping but with a wife and a 16 year old niece this was as close as I could get. We arrived in time to set up camp and get firewood before sundown. My wife (gotta love a woman that loves the outdoors) had a great fire going in minutes. Brats were cooked, smores were consumed and a couple of ales were enjoyed before bed. I slept on a cot, in the tent my father purchased close to 30 years ago (in which we last camped on the Arizona/New Mexico/ Mexico border). Going to bed in that old tent that I last slept in with my late father 20 years ago brought a smile to my face. I was awakened several times to the sounds of wild cats, dogs and birds and it was worth every second. I got up and cooked breakfast on dads trusty 40 year old Coleman stove and we ate and packed up by 0730. We spent the next 2 hours hiking and getting lost in the woods. I don't have to tell you how that felt, leaving the world behind, and worrying only about identifying trees and critters and how to get our bearings. My niece (not blood but may as well be) enjoyed her first camping trip and the hiking very much. She didn't know what to expect and that's fair for anyone, let alone a modern teenager. I think the disconnect may have been overwhelming but she liked hiking in the woods.

Fast forward to the present and we are trying to put the stresses of life on hold for a day or two and get back to the simple things in life. Bills will be here this week and I can try to muddle my way through life again but for a day and a half I felt pretty damned good.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good for you man. Everyone deserves some time away from it all..

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Does a man good to get away, clear the ole noggin, fresh air, and no interweb. Well, maybe a smartphone.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Yes , exactlly why I got another boat, to get up the river and relax, now and then catch a fish. I saw tons of bait fish schoolin yesterday, but only caught 1 small bass.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sounds like a great time.
    Just a word of warning on that 30 year old tent. Chances are pretty good that the seams leak.
    Happened to me on a black powder hunt in the Appalachicola Forest back in the 80s.
    A buddy and I were sleeping in a tent that Dad bought in the mid 60s.
    It starting raining on the last night. Woke up at 4:00 am and the tent was leaking like a screen door.
    We were leaving that morning anyway so we threw our stuff in garbage bags in the back of the truck and headed out.
    Had to put the tent up when we got home to let it dry out.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I love it, good for you! I feel that way every time I go to the lease, I still have cell service and a gun but wonder what other folks without the place I have to get away do for peace and calm.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love it, good for you! I feel that way every time I go to the lease, I still have cell service and a gun but wonder what other folks without the place I have to get away do for peace and calm.
    Go to the public land that's all around us and do all kinds of things. Doesn't cost anything but the gas.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It can be entertaining at times. This week seems to be Fall break for college kids, some hots little numbers in there today, felt my Glock getting hard!

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It can be entertaining at times. This week seems to be Fall break for college kids, some hots little numbers in there today, felt my Glock getting hard!

U just really creeped me out.Really

Top Bottom