• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So as a long time M&P user, I'm finally going down the rabbit hole and digging into Glock, 9mm specifically. I'm drawn to it largely for for the same reasons as I like 10/22s and AR15s: modularity, aftermarket support, and even 3d printed options.

Thing is there's so much ouy there I don't know where to start (other than I want to stay 9mm). So...what aftermarket stuff works with what model, who carries what, what's the best starting model is (19, 17, 43, etc), does everything work with everything, other stuff I should know??

I'm here and ready to learn.
    The list for aftermarket parts manufacturers ( slides, barrels, triggers ) is extensive. Most manufacturers do parts for both series of pistols . Of course there are factory parts . I carry G19, ( edc) G17, and in the woods a G20 .

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    But yes, the frame is the "gun" for FFL purposes. Aftermarket parts selection basically is dependent on the popularity of the model you choose, but Glock far and away has the most prolific aftermarket available.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I believe the model 19 is Glock’s most popular but the 43 and 43x would be easier to carry.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    There are many different flavors of 9mm Glock.
    Your primary use will kinda lean you towards one versus another.

Regardless if you pick a 34 and trick it out for competition only, or you want a 43 as the skinniest for a BUG in your pocket, you can modify them (or leave them stock) to your heart’s content.

Double-stack mags (17, 19, 26, 34, etc) will work with most PCC’s that take Glock 9mm mags.

There are now so many variants of slide lengths and grip sizes, there should be a model that fits your hand and offers the concealabilty you want.

Go to any gun store and handle a 19 and a 17 to narrow down the Goldilocks decision.

Here’s a fly in the ointment for your research: Glock 22 and 23. Get a conversion barrel for 9mm, and you can shoot two calibers with the same slide and frame, just swap the barrel and mags (Glock 9mm mags and 40cal mags have the same exterior dimensions).
    You can go 9mm with a Glock 22/23, but you can’t go 40S&W with a Glock 17/19.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guess it's best to ask if you are prior military or LEO? In which case you have access to Glocks Blue Box Program. So let's begin, I was introduced to Glock when LA SWAT got the the 17/19 L. Less than 5 inch barrels in 9 mm require the use of specialized ammo, more to come later. Best 9 mm Glock to begin with is the model 34, most consistent Trigger pull, most consistent performance with all ammo. Add a set of tritium glow in the dark irons and feed it Gold Dot + P 124's or better and it is a Standard Bearer. You can do many other things with many other models, but yet they all will be trade offs. JMHO YMMV. This is the 9 mm Glock I would start with, not that I started with 9 mm in a Glock.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you are going for simplicity, modularity, and support with the Glock platform, just make it simple and go with 9MM.

I recommend the G19 and/or G45 because it can double for carry & HD.

G43X and G48 are also viable for CCW (I don't trust or use Shield mags). I like the G43X personally.

The fact that you can build a "Glock Pistol" completely without using a Glock OEM part is great. It is the "AR-15" / "AK" of handguns. And I say that owning great pistols like HKs, Berettas, Colts, S&Ws... but none of them close to the utility & supportability of Glocks.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    If you are going for simplicity, modularity, and support with the Glock platform, just make it simple and go with 9MM.

I recommend the G19 and/or G45 because it can double for carry & HD.

G43X and G48 are also viable for CCW (I don't trust or use Shield mags). I like the G43X personally.

The fact that you can build a "Glock Pistol" completely without using a Glock OEM part is great. It is the "AR-15" / "AK" of handguns. And I say that owning great pistols like HKs, Berettas, Colts, S&Ws... but none of them close to the utility & supportability of Glocks.
    Im a 19 or 17 fan for double stack and 48 for less permissive situations... I had/ still have the 24,45,43 and 26 flavors and they are all fine, just not what I use for CCW. (I'm not LE or Mil, so CCW is my main use)

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The model 19 is their most popular and its a great do-all gun. If you can only have one, its definitely the one I’d get. Other than the sights, Don’t go crazy on aftermarket parts.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Im a 19 or 17 fan for double stack and 48 for less permissive situations... I had/ still have the 24,45,43 and 26 flavors and they are all fine, just not what I use for CCW. (I'm not LE or Mil, so CCW is my main use)

How did you like the long-slide 40-cal Glock 24?

Last edited:

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    So what you're asking about glock is kinda like asking about parts for a small block chevy! Aftermarket support for glock pattern guns is massive. First decide on what its intended use is. Carry? 43, 43x, 48. Range? 34. The glock 19 is often referred to as the small block chevy of guns... thats where you may wanna start...

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got rid of it when consolidating calibers. It wasn't awesome for me. :)
    I’ve been sort of looking for a 24 for a while! I don’t think I will pass up the next one when I come across it.

As far as the OP, I would recommend a 19. It won’t be your last Glock (they’re like potato chips) and the 19 is a good place to start.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I fought the Glock fad for many years because I liked external safety’s, decocker’s, DASA with external hammer. But when I started contracting in Afghanistan I didn’t want my wife to worry about all that crap when she was home alone and heard a bump in the night. So I started looking at Glocks and never looked back. My daily carry now is a G26. As far as aftermarket add on’s, I have NONE ! Not knocking folks that do, just not for me, I like the KISS theology, “Keep it simple stupid”. I figure the reason Glock is so popular is they got it right the first time, why mess with perfection ? I would not buy a Ferrari and add a flow master exhaust. But again that’s just me.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I fought the Glock fad for many years because I liked external safety’s, decocker’s, DASA with external hammer. But when I started contracting in Afghanistan I didn’t want my wife to worry about all that crap when she was home alone and heard a bump in the night. So I started looking at Glocks and never looked back. My daily carry now is a G26. As far as aftermarket add on’s, I have NONE ! Not knocking folks that do, just not for me, I like the KISS theology, “Keep it simple stupid”. I figure the reason Glock is so popular is they got it right the first time, why mess with perfection ? I would not buy a Ferrari and add a flow master exhaust. But again that’s just me.
    Its a tool like a hammer.

I have some additions I have added to either to "enhance performance" or just because I thought it looked cool. I generally just carry stock because if I ever have to use it, I just need it to do the one thing and do it well. The Damascus slide or gold barrel wont matter. :)

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a fully tricked out Glock 35 (because I couldn't find a reasonably priced 24) I used for competition when I got mad at how finicky STI/Staccatos can be when you start really putting some rounds through them. I went back to the STI last year because I decided the extra performance was worth the effort. I admit I am currently questioning that decision!

Top Bottom