• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Each rifle is different but my last load for 120 gr. was for Nosler BT's with 46.0 grains of IMR 4350 for my friends Ruger Compact rifle. Awesome accuracy and very terminal on 2 large bucks at 200+ yards on each. Good luck.

rj1978

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input. Honestly I was hoping someone could post a pic out of the Hornady book. I need to just break down and buy one. I keep spending my money on ammo or another gun. I have the Lee(very generic) and the Lyman. Priorities priorities. This is my 10 year old sons rifle. I got these bullets trying to make loads with a little less recoil. He was starting to develop a flinch with the heavier loads even though they were at minimum using 154 grain Hornadys.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have some bullets that are <121grs here. This includes some 115's and even some 100's. These would be even better for varmint than the V-Max.
    I also have some 120gr Barnes TTSX which would be the absolute perfect combo for deer and hogs coming out of that 7-08. You are welcome to give some of these a try if you want to.
    And . . . there are tons of loads using a 120gr bullet in a 7-08 on line. Especially in my Load Data on line books. Give me an idea of what combo you want to use and I will see what I can come up with. ---SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ..... AND ---> H4895 using the 60% formula.
    For reduced loads in a 7-08 give H4895 a try. Go to the Hodgdon site for the details. This works great in quite a few different chamberings. ---SAWMAN

Last edited:

rj1978

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My son needs a practice load right now. Nothing to light, yet not a full power load. He is not new to shooting but this is his first true hunting rifle. We got it last November and it doesn't have 50 rounds thru it yet between the both of us. My goal is to have 3 loads worked up. Coyote, hogs, and deer. We have only shot Hornady factory loads, which were surprisingly more dirty than I expected, these were 139 grain. And then I have the 154 and 120 grain Hornady bullets. Am curious if there any use for CFE 223 being 308 is the parent case. Shooting a Mossberg patriot youth model by the way.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO you will not need to invest in three different bullets and powder for the above mentioned critters. Especially if you will not be trying to save the pelts of them yotes. You can quite easily find a bullet that will work for both deer and hogs at all ranges also.
    Without digging deeper into it,just off the top of my head,I would say that the Barnes 120gr TTSX or the 120gr NosBalTip would serve you well. Both of these could be reduced by 100-150fps and still be a good killer. For a practice load you could pick up anything cheap. I would suggest that you stick with the same weight bullet. Using the H4895 you could drop down to 60% of max load if needed. My guns loved the Hornady 120's.
    The Hodgdon site will allow you to use H4895 to push all three. Same primers also. (CCI250) ---SAWMAN

Last edited:

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My personal experience is with a 7x57 mauser. 139gr gameking, starting load of IMR 4895--12 year old daughter didn't like the recoil--therefore didn't hunt with it--I thought it was a hoot to shoot; with 100 and 120 gr lightly constructed bullets, starting load of IMR 4895--she liked to shoot these, and killed two deer, but the bullets fragmented and didn't penetrate well. Might have done better at lower velocity.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Problem (~) with the 60% rule loadings is there is no info on velocity unless you have a chrono or a buddy with one of the "cost money" programs like Quick Load.
    With the 7mm-08 using a 162gr bullet and H4895,you can step down from 39.5grs to 23.7grs of powder. The 39.5 will give you 2600fps. What will you get when using 23.7grs or somewhere in between ?? Also . . . what pressures (for the recoil impulse) ?? --- SAWMAN

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Problem (~) with the 60% rule loadings is there is no info on velocity unless you have a chrono or a buddy with one of the "cost money" programs like Quick Load.
    With the 7mm-08 using a 162gr bullet and H4895,you can step down from 39.5grs to 23.7grs of powder. The 39.5 will give you 2600fps. What will you get when using 23.7grs or somewhere in between ?? Also . . . what pressures (for the recoil impulse) ?? --- SAWMAN

Good point. Not listed on their 60% site. Deleted.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Looking at the pics of the reloading manuals above I am struck by one main thing . . . all the different choices of powders offered.
    Now granted,I have not bought a new reloading manual for quite a few years now. Between the ones I have had for years and the info obtainable on the interweb,I find that I have as much info available as needed.
    I also buy a subscription to LOAD DATA every year. That alone is pretty much the data from every powder manufacturer out there.
    BUT . . . . I find that I still use the same powders that I did quite a few years ago. Bottom line. ---> it's great to be old. ---SAWMAN

rj1978

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are so many different powders and bullets now it can get confusing. I picked up some AA#2495 but now I wish I got 4064 instead. Thanks for all the info and I will try to post some results if I can shoot this weekend.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over the years I have owned several 7-08 guns. One of my favorite loads for all of them was the 140gr Sierra over 47gr of H-414 at about 2850-60 fps. It is a very accurate, all at .5 inches, but not without recoil. If you want to work with that load start low and work up, with an eye for the group to come together very quick at the top end.
    Ed

Top Bottom