• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I have been attempting to convert small primer 7.62x39 brass to 6.5 Grendel. I would resize, trim, and load cases NO BOOM only goes click. Today I got back to the loading bench and found that the lee case trimmer for the 6.5 Grendel was trimming the cases too long by a few thousands of an inch. I guess the case heads are different thickness. I modified the trimmer and loaded one in the chamber and BOOM! Now I have fire formed brass that cost me $.12 several years ago vs. $1.14 for Grendel brass. Please Note: That once x39 cases are formed you must reload them 3 grains less than Grendel loads due to smaller internal case capacity. I will get to the range soon and give update on accuracy.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ......"smaller internal case capacity" tells me that the brass is also much thicker. Personally...what I would do is just buy some Grendel factory ammo,shoot it in my gun,then reload it. I would figure that part of owning a chambering like the Grendel is to budget for the more expensive brass and or ammo. This is what I have done with my two 6.8 SPC's.

Also........I do not understand what the case head thickness has to do with the COAL. However...I am not familiar with the operation of the Lee Case Trimmer. I would also not want to be limited to 3grs LESS powder. I would prefer to have the option of pushing the bullet as fast as possible(or not).

However.....if the end result is what you want...all else will be good ---> great. Good Shootin' --- SAWMAN

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't load max charges in my reloads anyhow, so 3 grains less works for me. I have plenty of Grendel brass. The fact that I can use my stockpiles of x39 brass to feed my AK47,SkS,& Grendel makes sense to me.

Top Bottom