HD Tactical

5 firearms you wish you had never bought.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    1) Walther PPK 22 - Lil effer exploded in my hands, Walther told me to kick rocks
    2) Sig P365XL RDO - Lots of malfunctions and had issues with trigger slap.
    3) Sig P320 - lots of malfs
    4) SCCY CPX2 RDO - Just kinda crappy
    5) Beretta M9A4

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Having been a licensed gun dealer for over 30 years there are a lot of guns that were not a good buy, some even sold at a loss to free up capital. The biggest losers by far for me have been trying to sell Browning rifles. I don't know why they don't sell better. They are well made, beautiful and shoot really well but it seems you can't run fast enough to give one to somebody. After losing money on more than I can count I won't buy one anymore unless it is stupid cheap. Another slow mover is anything in any of the "boutique" rifle calibers of the WSM or WSSM variety. Ammo for these things is so hard to come by and so expensive when you do find it that you have to really want to shoot it to own one. So here are some of my biggest losers
    1. Remington 742 semi auto rifles it's not if they are going to jam its when. Once the bolt starts jumping over the guide rail they are done. Remington won't even fix them.
    2. EAA witness pistols. After a run of crappy jamomatic early ones that EAA wouldn't do anything about I won't have one.
    3. Browning rifles as stated above
    4. Any rifle in the WSM or WSSM calibers
    5. The sales of any 40 caliber handgun have fallen really flat as well.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I'm going to go with the Kel Tec Sub 2000 also. I also bought three and sold three. Tec 9. Yeah I bought two of those POS's guns before I learned my lesson. The gun looks cool, and that's the best thing you can say for it.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The only gun I actually regret buying was a Sig Mosquito .22 that I picked up for my wife. I know other folks have enjoyed them but mine was a clunky jam-o-matic, regardless of ammo type. I don't regret buying Glocks, but I sold them all after trying multiple times to learn to like them...I bought and sold G19s 3 times and G41s twice.

jettjon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Whats wrong with the p22's walther.?? Just picked one up. Shot it a bit. Went bang, hit the target???
    Funny you should ask... I just found my fastidious notes from when I tested mine in 2011.

On paper the P22 is awesome - great ergonomics (if you don't mind the paddle mag release), loaded with features, etc. I got one and did extensive ammo testing with it as it was intended for my wife to use for self-defense. She has issues with her hands and is not able to fire most pistols. I tested 3 different types of ammo (CCI Stinger, CCI Minimag and Winchester Super X RN) in both of the supplied factory magazines. My documented results show it was a jam-o-matic with FTE and FTFeed and FTFire around 7% of the time. Over the years I've put many more rounds through it, using ammo that reliably functions in my other .22 plinkers, but it remains a jam-o-matic.

Hopefully, you got lucky with yours.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    * So what was wrong with the S2K's ??
    For me it just wasn’t what I was needing. One for a .9mm it kicked like a mile ! Even after M-Carbo mods, it would bruise my damn cheek bone. Second the allure of it for me was foldable self defense, then I realized how long it would take me to deploy it and it didn’t make sense. I am sure you can shoot holes in those excuses, but it just wasn’t right for me and I will never own another

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Cheek weld, very hard to use a red dot or scope, and as said above for a 9mm it kicks like a mule. My Ruger PC Charger is much more user friendly, especially with a brace. And yes, I will SBR it. I have two registered SBR's now so one more won't make any difference.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can only think of one at the moment, a Glock 17. About 30 years ago I gave in to all the hype and bought one to see what all the Glock hysteria was about. Hated many things about it but what really ground my gears was about every three or four times a mag the empty brass would eject straight back and nail me between the eyes. Read up on supposed fixes for it but just sold the damn thing asap, too many other brands that didn't do that (currently love Sigs and Walthers). Haven't owned another Glock since.

jettjon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Others have mentioned the weird cheek weld and inability to keep optics mounted while folded. My perspective is AT THE TIME when they were introduced, there weren't any other compact 9mm carbines on the market. I know because I researched it back around the early 2000's. Back then your choices were basically full size AR15 carbines, the JR (Just Right) carbine, the somewhat odd Beretta Storm carbines, or the VERY odd pistol-to-carbine conversion kits. Nowadays we have all sorts of quality pistol brace 9mm carbines to fill that role - PSA, CMMG, etc. while avoiding the pitfalls of a folding firearm. What's going to be interesting is to see what happens if the brace guns are required to be registered as SBRs... will the S2K see a renaissance?

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I wish I still had mine now. I got the Twin Holster Set for Christmas just before my Dad left for his first tour in Nam. I remember getting sheets of those round green stick'um caps with them. I later got the Shootin' Shells Lever Action Rifle. I don't for the life of me what happened to them, but in my mind our house was well protected from burglars then!

:)

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Others have mentioned the weird cheek weld and inability to keep optics mounted while folded. My perspective is AT THE TIME when they were introduced, there weren't any other compact 9mm carbines on the market. I know because I researched it back around the early 2000's. Back then your choices were basically full size AR15 carbines, the JR (Just Right) carbine, the somewhat odd Beretta Storm carbines, or the VERY odd pistol-to-carbine conversion kits. Nowadays we have all sorts of quality pistol brace 9mm carbines to fill that role - PSA, CMMG, etc. while avoiding the pitfalls of a folding firearm. What's going to be interesting is to see what happens if the brace guns are required to be registered as SBRs... will the S2K see a renaissance?
    They may well see a resurgence due to the brace nonsense. Here's how I solved my optic mounting to fold and left handedness. Works great and looks ultra maga tactical when in use, lol. 45 deg tipped to the right. ( red dot vertical)
    20210805_144806.jpg

socalpig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    They may well see a resurgence due to the brace nonsense. Here's how I solved my optic mounting to fold and left handedness. Works great and looks ultra maga tactical when in use, lol. 45 deg tipped to the right. ( red dot vertical) View attachment 192027
    I have no idea why I never thought to use an offset for the red dot. Thanks for sharing!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I have no idea why I never thought to use an offset for the red dot. Thanks for sharing!
    Also, I had to try 5 or more red dots before I found one that fit properly. Can't remember what brand fit. I'll look at my other pics.

** Could be a trs-25 or sig ?? Used a small riser too. Had to change the factory bolts on the offset to hold properly on the poly rail.
    20210723_150708.jpg
    20210809_102222.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom