• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike75

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't tried the Glock .45's yet, but I have a full sized budget Tisas 1911A1 Army and I love it. As stated earlier, is the feel and weight of an all metal gun that I like. I also have a Bersa Lesbar 84 in .32ACP that makes the a great EDC/CC. The Bersa is a good little ankle gun or in the small of your back. I even got my girlfriend a Lace thigh holster and a lace belly band for it. She is a size 4 so the lace looks really sexy on her and the gun is easily concealed even with her small frame. It's a single action semi auto with an exposed hammer and impossible to rack until it's been cocked. And if you cock the hammer, chamber a round then carefully drop the hammer holding it back with your thumb while you squeeze the trigger so you have a round chambered then when you cock it you have to be sure not to pull the hammer back any further than the second click. And your better off after it clicks twice pushing the hammer forward gently until it stops. If you pull the hammer to far back it will not fire.. You can pull the trigger all you want. Odds are that's what happened when the same model gun was used in the attempted assassination of the wife of the Prime Minister it president or who ever that was in Argentina when they used a Bersa Lesbar 84 that failed to fire. And it's only got a trigger lock so not a good gun to carry cocked and locked like I do my 1911. I also have a Glock 19 that I love. It has 1-50 round drum, 2-33 round extended capacity mags, 4-19 round mags, 2-17 round mags and 2-15 round mags. So clearly I like shooting my Glock. But when it comes to .45acp I just prefer my 1911. Even if it was only $339 and included a case and 2-7 round magazines $415 after shipping and the background check. When you consider the weight of a fully loaded Glock with a double stacked magazine and the weight of an all metal 1911 fully loaded the weight isn't that much different. So it doesn't figure into the ability to carry one or the other for any length of time. As a matter of fact as long as it's an OWB holster unless I'm sitting down I don't really notice it. At least not for the weight. I notice my keys bouncing off my leg with every step more than my pistol on my hip.
    IMG_20230323_155512747.jpg
    20201126_130747.jpg

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't tried the Glock .45's yet, but I have a full sized budget Tisas 1911A1 Army and I love it. But when it comes to .45acp I just prefer my 1911. When you consider the weight of a fully loaded Glock with a double stacked magazine and the weight of an all metal 1911 fully loaded the weight isn't that much different. So it doesn't figure into the ability to carry one or the other for any length of time. As a matter of fact as long as it's an OWB holster unless I'm sitting down I don't really notice it. At least not for the weight. I notice my keys bouncing off my leg with every step more than my pistol on my hip. View attachment 221120 View attachment 221121
    Twice the .45 ACP capacity and still weighs less. That pretty much somes up why my Glock 21SF has taken over Traveling Duties. Add two 13 round mags with one in the chamber you've got 40 chances. But there is still a purpose for 1911"s.

Attachments

• 1911_224124.jpg
      1911_224124.jpg
      189.1 KB · Views: 37
    Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well, I have a few 1911's, including a Pre-CZ Dan Wesson Patriot and a SA Loaded Target SS. I like em, but won't carry them.

Personally, I'll go with the Glock all day long.

I once had a very well know trainer stay almost a week with me at my hunt camp pending two two-day classes. The spirits flowed one night and the 1911/Glock fighting pistol debate got spirited.

I ended it with this situational question:

QUESTION- In front of you is a door, you will be going through that door. Also in front of you is a 1911 and a Glock, which one do you pick up?

ANSWER- That's not a fair question.

IN OTHER WORDS- Glock.

WHY- Ammo capacity and just pure dependability.

Glocks are like the fat chicks at closing time... dependable and ready to perform.

I find the G21 to be "almost" uncomfortable in my hands, but the G41, pure joy.

It doesn't take much to conceal this pistol, I've demonstrated how many times in my classes to the surprise of the critics.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Original G21 was to large for my hand. It wasn't until the G21SF came out that it became possible to fit my small hand. So prior to the G21SF, single stack 1911's were the only option for those of US with small hands. I don't recall which generation Glock decided to use the Short Frame as standard and offer grip extensions to lengthen LOP for those with larger hands? The disappointment about fat chicks at closing time, eventually it's mourning. When it comes time for precision shooting the smooth lightweight trigger pull that can be had on 1911's cannot be duplicated on the Glocks. YMMV.

Imnotbruce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I've had 1911s and Glonks but now the only 45s I have are an FNX45 tactical and a Kriss vector sbr, I'm putting together a bolt action 45 upper as well with the intention of using as a super quiet 230 grain pill launching suppressor host.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FNX is large, heavy, and has had more than it's share of reliability issues. I'd rather have the Glock or a 1911. JMHO YMMV.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The Original G21 was to large for my hand. It wasn't until the G21SF came out that it became possible to fit my small hand. So prior to the G21SF, single stack 1911's were the only option for those of US with small hands. I don't recall which generation Glock decided to use the Short Frame as standard and offer grip extensions to lengthen LOP for those with larger hands? The disappointment about fat chicks at closing time, eventually it's mourning. When it comes time for precision shooting the smooth lightweight trigger pull that can be had on 1911's cannot be duplicated on the Glocks. YMMV.

Yep, the G21 is a thick chick. I have a Gen 3 G21C.

When you settle at closing time, have a pre-dawn exit strategy.

While not completely on par with the better 1911 triggers, I've found the affordable Ghost Rocket trigger, which requires fitting, to be quite an improvement over the stock trigger. When fitted properly, feels/breaks really clean with no overtravel.

I'm not up to speed on the various aftermarket Glock triggers, but I do need something for my Gen 5 G34. Anyone up to date on the current preferred Glock aftermarket triggers?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On Target 1911's 3lbs of pull works well for me. On a duty 1911 4lbs of pull is about as low as I'll go. The standard 4.5-5 lb pull on the 21SF is about as little as I want without any safety to disengage. I've got the 3.5 on my G34, can't really call it silly smooth like a 1911. But it's much better than the 8 lb Blue Box trigger it came with. As to the replacement Glock triggers it's a cost thing. From $70-350, but I'm not current on the latest fad. Sure we got someone here that's up to date?

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    When it comes time for precision shooting the smooth lightweight trigger pull that can be had on 1911's cannot be duplicated on the Glocks. YMMV.
    true...but when I go through Bowhntr6pt's door...the trigger pull isn't going to be high on the list of things I'm worrying about...if that is what the pistols use. Just because I can balance a nickle on the front sight of my .44 Mag through the D/A trigger pull doesn't mean I want to go through the door with it either.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    true...but when I go through Bowhntr6pt's door...the trigger pull isn't going to be high on the list of things I'm worrying about...if that is what the pistols use. Just because I can balance a nickle on the front sight of my .44 Mag through the D/A trigger pull doesn't mean I want to go through the door with it either.
    Guess I'd go BOLDLY through that door with the Glock, carefully through that door with a 1911, and just shoot through that door with the .44 Mag. LOL.

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    G21 a large wide pistol with large capacity efficient tool no pazazz.
    1911 Nostalgia a great timeless design and just plain classy.
    Either will get the job done.

SubSlr88

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I own two Colt 1911 models, one set up as a target shooter, another as a plain Jane stock. Also have a Sig 220 that I really like to shoot as it has a great trigger. I own a Colt .38 Super that's a great shooter, too. Overall I'm fond of the 1911 platform.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The reason I sold both the 45ACP caliber 1911's and the 45ACP Glocks: a 45ACP M1917... with a more accurate fixed barrel, a better DA/SA trigger and no external or mechanical safety, for the ability to yank that trigger as many times as I want to (called "dual strike capability" among Glock competitors, like it was somehow something new... when revolvers had it already) without ever having to check where the hammer is or throw a safety. The only way to win the G21/1911 debate is to not play :) the fact that M1917 clips are brand new for only $2 it's just a bonus

Screenshot_20230504-133819.png

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The reason I sold both the 45ACP caliber 1911's and the 45ACP Glocks: a 45ACP M1917... with a more accurate fixed barrel, a better DA/SA trigger and no external or mechanical safety, for the ability to yank that trigger as many times as I want to (called "dual strike capability" among Glock competitors, like it was somehow something new... when revolvers had it already) without ever having to check where the hammer is or throw a safety. The only way to win the G21/1911 debate is to not play :) the fact that M1917 clips are brand new for only $2 it's just a bonus :)

View attachment 222563
    M1917 Enfield rifle or SMG? Wheelguns, low capacity and even more weight? But they are nostalgic. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_Revolver

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guess I'd go BOLDLY through that door with the Glock, carefully through that door with a 1911, and just shoot through that door with the .44 Mag. LOL.
    Outstanding! First round is the breaching round. Next 5 are for anyone that looks like they deserve it. Wish it were cool enough around here to carry my .44 all year. Yeah, I could, but I'd print for sure...

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Bigger in size than the Glock 21, is the HK USP 45. Shoots like dream but it’s big. It compliments the Colt 1911’s I have. Mine came with 10 rd. magazines, 12 rd. are available, it’s from the high cap mag ban years…

Attachments

• IMG_8749.jpeg
      IMG_8749.jpeg
      148.5 KB · Views: 14
    Top Bottom