• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmsiv

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always wanted three things: a good woman, a good dog, and a 45/70. Well, I have two of those, now. I picked up a Marlin 1895GS (not Remington) today and I want to pick up a good and decent scope for it. I know just about any good quality scope these days will hold up to this cartridge. Interested in hearing from anyone with good experience to share. Thanks!

James

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mine wears a fixed 4x by redfield. Most of the shots in 45/70 territory are inside 100 yds.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a Leupold 30mm "euro" on my H&R buffalo classic. It does fine. I'm replacing the mount though...

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My 45-70 was wearing a Bushnell Banner when I got it, but I took it off. Something about the cartridge just says "open sights" to me.

Given the ballistics of the round, a 2-7x or similar might be a good fit.

jmsiv

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info. I went with a Nikon 3-9x40. It'll probably stay on 3x. I chose this one because it has a full 5 inches of relief on it and my eyes liked the sight pic the best out of al the ones I tried. I've mounted it and laser-sighted it in. I'll be at the range Saturday, I hope, to fine tune.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I used the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 model with no problems in accuracy, sturdiness, or failure to hold zero.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info. I went with a Nikon 3-9x40. It'll probably stay on 3x. I chose this one because it has a full 5 inches of relief on it and my eyes liked the sight pic the best out of al the ones I tried. I've mounted it and laser-sighted it in. I'll be at the range Saturday, I hope, to fine tune.

fine choice.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My 1895G has a Bushnell on it that I had lying around from a shotgun I bought with it installed(don't remember model # off the top of my head). I never thought I would use the scope until I picked up my 45/70. It has a 5" or so eye relief and I mounted it on see through rings. Awesome combination and with the leverevolution rounds, I would easily shoot it out to 150 yards without a second guess. I am affraid that I am going to have to find another one of these combinations though. My wife has fallen in love with mine. I figured letting her feel the kick just one time would cure her of ever wanting to shoot it again, but I was wrong.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My 1895G has a Bushnell on it that I had lying around from a shotgun I bought with it installed(don't remember model # off the top of my head). I never thought I would use the scope until I picked up my 45/70. It has a 5" or so eye relief and I mounted it on see through rings. Awesome combination and with the leverevolution rounds, I would easily shoot it out to 150 yards without a second guess. I am affraid that I am going to have to find another one of these combinations though. My wife has fallen in love with mine. I figured letting her feel the kick just one time would cure her of ever wanting to shoot it again, but I was wrong.

That's what I'm shooting... the Leverlutuon 325gr. It does kick out of that H&R, but I've usually got a jacket on and after it's zero'd... I'll never shoot it more than twice a day.

jmsiv

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mounted it, lasered it in, and took it to the range yesterday. Got it sighted in for 100 yards. After that, I had to keep shooting it. I love it. 40 rounds and today my shoulder is letting me know that I am not a young man anymore. Very pleased with the scope. It worked great!

Medic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    pejemu8a.jpg

I had the same concern so, I bought a Leupold 2-7 Scope and a set of Dead Nutz mounts/rings.

I sighted with cowboy loads and then fired off a few normal loads. All is working fine. I'd research scopes that guys use in Africa on their big bores. That's how I came to buying the Leupold. BTW, my Leupold was used and only cost me $200.

Top Bottom