• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hello, Gulf Coast Gun Forum. I may be faced with a challenge. I have every intention of taking a deer this year, during the general gun season, or the "doe days" that the state allows us. I have private property to hunt, and intend to keep this legal and humane. My issue is this: The only firearm I own that I am legally allowed to kill a deer with is a single shot .410.
    Does anyone on the forum have any real life experience using .410 slugs for deer?
    I understand the limitations. I am very familiar with the land I will be hunting, and I have been watching the deer and their habits for years. I should, and have been, able to get within 25 yards, possibly closer if I set up a blind near a food source. I am not after a monster buck, I just need some meat for the winter.
    Any experience shared would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    sj1

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    410 slugs break up very quickly upon impact. They're pretty soft lead and don't weigh very much for their diameter. I've shot a deer with 1 and hit it well and lost it. I've shot them into gel and wasn't pressed

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you need to try various brand slugs to find what your 410 likes to shoot.
    you most probably have a smoothbore barrel and they are slugs made with sabots
    that can be just as accurate as a rifle. (brenneke ko's) but you have to try them.
    when buying slugs, read the information on the packages. some say rifled barrels only
    and some say rifled and smoothbores.
    pay attention of what your buying and test them.
    i'm sure others will argue my point, but I really don't care.
    I've experienced exactly what your wanting without the guess work
    that some will contribute.
    good luck and be safe..................:yo:

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If you can get them accurate in your gun gendoc has it nailed. There are some very good slugs out there but you need the best and I am not sure what is available in the 410. Then you cannot just go hunting w it, need to be sighted in, what sights do you have? ... so buy a box to try where you can get more to hunt with, good luck.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's a bead sight. Not the greatest set-up, but I am hoping to get close enough to make up the difference. I have had this gun for years, and have shot Federal, Remington 2 1/2", and Remington 3" slugs with it so far, to get familiar with it. The Remington 2 1/2" have been consistent with hand sized groups inside of 25 yards, but I am concerned about the soft lead, as mentioned. They will punch through 3/4" plywood, and about 2 inches into a pine log afterwards, but neither of those will get up and run away.
    Funny, but when I had suitable deer rifles (and handguns, and shotguns), I was in a much better position to watch the deer, and buy food at the store. Now, things are turned around, and I have to make do with what I have.
    Thanks for the advice, and I will update soon.

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first suggestion would be to see if you couldn't borrow another gun, or buy a used one cheap, single shot 12 gauge and slugs is a good cheap alternative.

But since you asked about .410 and slugs here it goes, follow gendoc's advice,make sure the gun shoots really well. Also keep your shots close, 25 yds is good, 50 would be my max. Make sure you have a perfect and clear shot, basically broadside only, and only take boiler-room(heart/lung) shots. I have no experience with slugs from a .410, but i do have experience with 12 and 20 gauge slugs, they don't kill like a rifle with lots of damaged tissue, energy transfer, and hydrostatic shock(if you believe that theory). Nope, slugs mainly just make holes, so a good shot is critical.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    with any caliber rifle you will have a percentage of DRT's but most will need to be blood trailed.

at that distance 25yrds, your 410 is just as good as a 30/06....its all about where you put that slug is the ticket
    as i'm sure you know. you double lung one and you will be golden !!! you might have to chase it, but
    that's the fun of it...a good blood trail is always a grand thing.

I have some various 410 slugs (box of 5 of them 3" brenneke sabot's, 4 ww3" and 3 ww2.5")
    I can give you if your in the NASP/blue angel pkwy area in the afternoons around 1600

pm me with your schedule...i'm sure we can work out something.

i'm excited about your plan, thanks..........:usa2:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom