• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone have experience with this cartridge? I'm thinking about it as an option to supplement my .308 Thompson Center Encore for hunting here in Alaska.

It performs much better than the parent cartridge - .30-06 on which it is based. I think with the heavier 250gr bullets, it may do better on Moose, Caribou and possibly Woodland Bison if I was ever so lucky to draw a tag.

Shuff's Parkerizing will even convert an M1 Garand to 35 Whelen... Now that would be an interesting project!

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Fly a few years ago I had the chance to shoot a Mauser conversion to 35 Whelen and I must say wow it's by far the best 300 yard round I ever have had the chance to shoot if my mind serves me right the round were 290 grain if I lived anywhere but Florida a whelen 35 would be the top of my bucket list but this is Florida and hell we don't even have 300 yard ranges anymore more the less anything big enough to use a tub thumper on

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse (kind of like an Academy Sports) on the way home from work today - and they have 35 Whelen ammo on the shelf. So, I think I may order a barrel for my Thompson Center Encore and give it a try.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse (kind of like an Academy Sports) on the way home from work today - and they have 35 Whelen ammo on the shelf. So, I think I may order a barrel for my Thompson Center Encore and give it a try.

you need to be aware of head-space issues with this chambering and barrel manufacturers.
    we have several whelens and quickly modified a few FTF barrels to the "brown whelen" and problem solved.

but that's my experience, many others here will probably argue my input. oh-well :peace:

hh4whiskey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you need to be aware of head-space issues with this chambering and barrel manufacturers.
    we have several whelens and quickly modified a few FTF barrels to the "brown whelen" and problem solved.

but that's my experience, many others here will probably argue my input. oh-well :peace:

...which is why I went .358 Winchester....that and factory ammo can be had. Mine shoots 356 Winchester, also, (6" lower POI).

Last edited:

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually, I passed on the Encore barrel idea. I'm going to send one of my "mix-master" M1 Garands to Shuff's Parkerizing -- where he will convert it to a Mini-G, install a 35 Whelen barrel and scout scope mount, then re-park the entire rifle and put it in new furniture. I'll then have an 8-rd capacity short and lightweight brush rifle.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My uncle had a 35 whelen. I shot it a few times. It was a beast of a round and felt like you were slinging a trck down range. I think it would make a excellent short range moose/Caribou gun.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually, I passed on the Encore barrel idea. I'm going to send one of my "mix-master" M1 Garands to Shuff's Parkerizing -- where he will convert it to a Mini-G, install a 35 Whelen barrel and scout scope mount, then re-park the entire rifle and put it in new furniture. I'll then have an 8-rd capacity short and lightweight brush rifle.

Now that's something interesting. Will be looking forward to updates.

Medic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was leaning toward a 35 then was talked into a 338-06. I love the 338-06

hh4whiskey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You could chamber that M1 in .358 Winchester, and it possibly be a better fit for the platform, with regards to recoil, gas regulation, wear, etc. it'll do whatever the Whelen will to 250-300....especially with hand loads and <250gr bullets

hh4whiskey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It seems logical to just go with the 30-06 to Whelen, on face. However, outside of bolt actions, the .358 has a better shoulder and straighter, more efficient size. Either is a great .35, though. Post pics once you get it.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    explain your meaning..."close quarters round" is that less than 250yrds ?

I don't know about other folks whelen's, but ours are perfect responders out to 250 that I have witnessed.

I wouldn't put that faith on any store-bought ammo... as ours are tuned by hand for our hunting needs.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    explain your meaning..."close quarters round" is that less than 250yrds ?

I don't know about other folks whelen's, but ours are perfect responders out to 250 that I have witnessed.

I wouldn't put that faith on any store-bought ammo... as ours are tuned by hand for our hunting needs.

You have to have experience Alaska to understand. The state is half the size of the lower US. A lot of it is tundra, mountains and glaciers. It's not about the 35 Whelens, it's about the country side. There are just better calibers to be taken afield for other than self defense.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom