• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well I got the upper in today. Looks great!!! Everything was tightened down. Matched up perfectly to the lower. I immediately replaced the flash hider with a muzzle brake. Will be mounting the scope later today and then taking her to the range Saturday. Will follow that up with some good pics and a range report.

Doc

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    CAUTION: it will be super loud Doc with a brake unless it is of the "linear" style. I have a linear brake on my gun and it still kinda loud but without the "right back at ya,flip your hat off" overpressure. --- SAWMAN

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Im well aware of the blast now. Wish I knew before when I had my bolt 308!!! I use double hearing pro. Getting older now and hearing isn't getting any better!!!

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Finished the build yesterday. I lubed it up with slip 2000 (bolt, charge handle, chamber, ramps ect) and tried to chamber a round out back and bent several rounds near the base of the bullet. I let the charge handle back all the way and let go, also tried doing it slowly to watch the round and see if it was hanging up anywhere but didn't notice anything. I used a few 308 rounds and also 7.62 with similar results and all 4 of my Magpul gen3 mags. Unfortunately I don't have other mag brands to test.

The AIM bcg and Mega barrel passed the go/nogo headspace test. I have another AIM bcg on the way so I can test. I may order a different mag brand to test as well. I wonder if the Mega chamber is just very tight. Kinda disappointing after over $1.6k. The 2 successful chambers out of 10 attempts has the bcg lock in and the round extracted fine so I'm stumped at the moment. Any suggestions?

My parts list is a bit different from my original post:
    Mega 16" barrel
    AIM Nit BCG
    Aero Prec M5 LPK, buffer kit

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ........"base of the bullet"....... Are you saying that the deformation is down AT or BELOW the neck of the brass(assuming the bullet is 168grs or heavier(longer) ??

Maybe -> carefully drop a rd into the chamber and let the carrier down onto it until the extractor claw snaps over it. Gently extract/eject it and see if the same damage appears. Could the freebore be short ? Could the chamber neck be short ??

I would not think that a MagPul mag would not do this to the brass. They are slippery plastic. I have never seen a MapPul that would not allow proper feeding.

Have you tried a FACTORY LOADED 308Win rd ?? --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is when I drop a round in by hand. There's a small scuff below the neck.
    20150418_101942_zpsek17r5mi.jpg

And here is attempt to charge with full spring action.
    20150418_102008_zpsfr9poldp.jpg

Bent round.
    20150418_102042_zpscsfa1jco.jpg

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do have still have a stripped upper receiver from DPMS that has never been used if you would like to buy it. Keep you from spending extra money on shipping and finding a good deal online. Maybe 4-5 months old. That's the upper. I posted a picture from midwayusa so you can compare the two to show it is a DPMS.

Attachments

• NCM_0007-1.jpg
      NCM_0007-1.jpg
      300.7 KB · Views: 118
    • 4-1-2015 3-23-09 PM.png
      4-1-2015 3-23-09 PM.png
      22.5 KB · Views: 115
    Last edited:

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Was just about to say that myself. Make sure M4 feed Ramps on upper and on barrel extension.
    Do they look/feel rough. How is the chamber? Is there marchining marks it or smooth?

Last edited:

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The feed ramps and barrel extension are a bit different. The feed ramps are much smaller than the extension ramps but there's no rough edge for the round to get stopped at. I plan to trim the feed ramps a bit. The rounds get stuck in the same place whether I let the ch-handle go from all the way back or I help it slowly to see what's going on. The round goes up the ramp fine. I'm almost thinking the problem is with the barrel extension or the chamber. Everything is clean and looks smooth inside the chamber.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can tell you by looking at where the forearm meets up with the receiver that your barrel nut is not aligned properly. That shouldn't cause a feeding issue like you are having but it will cause problems when you start firing the rifle. Check the face of the bolt to make sure the bast of the cartridge isn't hanging up on the extractor cut or extractor itself or some other spot on the bolt.

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can tell you by looking at where the forearm meets up with the receiver that your barrel nut is not aligned properly. That shouldn't cause a feeding issue like you are having but it will cause problems when you start firing the rifle. Check the face of the bolt to make sure the bast of the cartridge isn't hanging up on the extractor cut or extractor itself or some other spot on the bolt.

Yeah it was a tad off. I put it back on the vise and loosened/tightened and lined it up. That's fixed. Now I need to figure out the feeding issue.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can you take a pic of the inside of your receiver to show the extension and feed ramp?
    If they are not matching up, the bullet tip could be hanging up on the extension.

FLO

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's the feed ramps/barrel extension. I need to dremel them but were they meet is smooth so I'm sure this is the cause of the problem.
    20150418_142028_zpsltacdyev.jpg

thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom