• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm thinking about reloading 300 blackout and I am doing my research now so I can figure out the best dies, powder and primers for this round. I think that I have a good handle on the dies and powder that I want to start off with, but I am kind of confused on the primers. The Lyman's book references cci #41, so I started to figure out the best place to get that primer. But then I found references out on the InterWebs that CCI 450 is basically the same as the #41. My question for the 300 blackout reloaders...do you use cci? If you do use CCI, do you just use #41 or have you used CCI 450 primers too? If you don't use cci, what other primers do you use?

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have been using just wolf primers small rifle in my 300 BO Loads with 5744 for Supers and Subsonic. They shoot every time no issues at all.

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks for the info on the wolf small rifle primers and the cci450. I just kept reading about potential for "slam fires" when using softer primer cups and the free float firing pin on the ar platform. Didn't want to be that guy...and my wife would kill me if that happened.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I load 300BLK for a single shot and a bolt gun ONLY. So for my purposes the CCI 450's are my choice over the 400's or 41's.
    Another plus for me is that I have been using the 450's in loading my 223Rem's for quite some time now and I have quite a supply built up.
    For some chamberings using certain powders the 450's should be used over the 400's. So because of this I have been simply using the 450's for every load workup that specifies small rifle primers. I simply drop back .5-1.0grs of powder and go from there. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I stocked up on primers "when the getting was good" (hint, hint, the getting is good now; I've seen/been through 2-3 primer shortages and will NEVER go through that again!), so I have quite a few on hand. I've never tried CCI 450; just never had a need to buy or try them so far, thus I use what I have on hand. Since Wolf/Tula primers are no longer being imported from Russia, you may not find them for sale now.

Wolf/Tula part # KVB-223: About like the Remington 6 1/2. Designed for lower pressures, thin cup. Think .22 Hornet or .30 Carbine. I use them in low pressure subsonic Blackout reloads. Some people trying them in .223 have had failures to ignite ball powders, poor accuracy, and pierced primers, so I got mine cheap from people experiencing .223 reload problems with them. I have about 5,000 left out of the 10,000 or so I bought. Will switch to CCI #400 when the KVB-223's are used up.

Wolf/Tula part # KVB-223M: About like CCI #41, but an even harder cup; magnum type primer. I use them in full power AR Blackout reloads and have used about 12,000 of them. With a single shot or bolt action Blackout rifle, I've had 3-4% failures to fire due to their hard cup, so I don't use them in those rifles.

CCI # 41: Didn't see any difference between them and Wolf KVB-223M in the Blackout when shooting with the same powder charges. Will switch to them for full power AR Blackout reloads, as I have plenty on hand, if I run out of the KVB-223M's (got about 35,000 KVB-223M's left to go). Tried a few # 41's in my single shot and bolt action rifles with no failures to fire in about 50 shots.

CCI # 400: Switched to these for Blackout reloads in the single shot and bolt action rifles when I finally figured out that my failures to fire were from hard cup primers. I found no difference in accuracy or pressure signs with the same powder charges used with the KVB-223M. However, I did find I needed to adjust my scope about 2 clicks (about half inch) at 100yd when switching to the 400's. I've also used the 400's in Blackout AR's with no problems.

So, since I assume you don't have a myriad of Blackouts on hand like I do (doing a long term study of Blackout barrel wear between different steels and bore treatments and am just a Blackout nut), recommend try both CCI 400 and 41 for accuracy, velocity, and impact point and stock up on the one that gives the best results that you want. I've never had a failure to ignite Blackout type powders, including ball with any primer that the rifle type of action would set off.

I've not tried other brands or types of small rifle primers in the Blackout other than what is mentioned above. Just as Sawman has a supply of 450's to use, I'm using what I have. It doesn't take much to ignite Blackout reloads, as faster rifle powders, smaller amounts, and the powder is near the primer hole mean easier to ignite. It's a great cartridge in my opinion. I like the mild recoil and have taken many deer, hogs, coyotes, and armadillos with it.

rj1978

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but my question is related. I have substituted different primers from what is listed in manuals but with the understanding that it can greatly affect pressures. With that said it always is best to start at minimum charges and work up. My main question is this: I picked up some Shooters World Blackout powder. My first 5 test rounds were with 14 grains with a Hornady 150gr fmj using the CCI br4? Primer, the harder ones. The charge was light as expected and did not fully cycle my AR. When cleaning I found unburned powder. Have seen this before with spherical powder that needed a magnum primer. Has anyone used this Blackout powder? If exact details are needed of the load I made let me know. I believe a 15 gr charge will be needed to cycle.

Top Bottom