• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    30 Stupid.
    They said that about 300BO, 6.8, 6.5, etc too. Oh and 7.62x39 back when it was a weird commie caliber nobody could get ahold of easily too. Now they're all everywhere and fairly common. I predict 30 Super Carry will catch on, primarily because of lighter weight and higher mag capacity. A 30 cal pistol is nothing new. The M1895 revolver, multiple different countries pistols in Tokarev, broomhandle Mauser, 30 Carbine revolvers, etc

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Only seems to be available right now as a Shield ($400-$450) or a Nighthawk Custom ($4500-$5000). I already have a 9mm Shield and the Nighthawk is too rich for my blood. I would be interested in something like the Kimber Micro 9.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-131952_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20220415-131952_Chrome.jpg
      377.7 KB · Views: 54

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    I believe the 30 Supper Carry will always be a boutique round. Interesting but never reach real fame. It's hailed as a carry round because of increased magazine capacity. People that buy a fad caliber buy one or two boxes of ammo but never repeat buy in quantities like 9mm, 38 or 45 ACP, et.al. I would be surprised if a round replaced the 9mm from this elevated position in my life time. We all could name a few that have tried 32 H&R magnum, 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 10mm, 41 magnum, 41 Action Express and more I'm forgetting. 9mm hits the sweet spot between capacity, velocity, and terminal ballistics.

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They said that about 300BO, 6.8, 6.5, etc too. Oh and 7.62x39 back when it was a weird commie caliber nobody could get ahold of easily too. Now they're all everywhere and fairly common. I predict 30 Super Carry will catch on, primarily because of lighter weight and higher mag capacity. A 30 cal pistol is nothing new. The M1895 revolver, multiple different countries pistols in Tokarev, broomhandle Mauser, 30 Carbine revolvers, etc
    I am not a gunsmith, but it seems to me that a 9mm could be converted to a 30 Luger pretty much by swapping out the barrel. And 9 mms come in many more flavors than the new cartridge will ever be used in.. Just seems like a lot of trouble to go to for illusory or marginal benefit.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Time to place your bets on how long factory ammo will be made available. It'll almost certainly fall out, and I bet in the near(er) term. It's hard to buy brass now for older, once popular calibers that have been a bit "overshadowed". Get it if you like it, but be a reloader and buy enough brass to die with some.

And one extra round in a single stack? No thanks. I'll carry an extra mag if I feel I need more than I got.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    I am not a gunsmith, but it seems to me that a 9mm could be converted to a 30 Luger pretty much by swapping out the barrel. And 9 mms come in many more flavors than the new cartridge will ever be used in.. Just seems like a lot of trouble to go to for illusory or marginal benefit.
    It's the shinny new object to keep it interesting.

capt.joe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Time to place your bets on how long factory ammo will be made available. It'll almost certainly fall out, and I bet in the near(er) term. It's hard to buy brass now for older, once popular calibers that have been a bit "overshadowed". Get it if you like it, but be a reloader and buy enough brass to die with some.

And one extra round in a single stack? No thanks. I'll carry an extra mag if I feel I need more than I got.
    Thats what i did with 327 federal. I figured 500 pieces of brass from starline would keep me going if they ever quit making it.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats what i did with 327 federal. I figured 500 pieces of brass from starline would keep me going if they ever quit making it.

Yessir--I just wish they'd get around to making some of what I need!

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What kind do you need?

I gave up on an "order" for .480 Ruger and obtained some otherwise. When they finally get around to making it again, I'll pick up some more. One more good order of new and I'm sure I'll be set for life.

Otherwise, some 35 Rem, but Starline doesn't make it. Apparently, no one else is at the moment, either.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Check out 9mm major...

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

It's two extra rounds actually. And if you do the math it's somewhere between a 25% or 30% boost in capacity of a short subcompact's single stack mag... which is a 25% or 30% boost in chances to live if that's what you have on you at the time. It's not going to compare to a high cap "wonder nine" (yet) but it is what it is... a purpose built BUG or deep cover single stack. And as such I'll take that 25% boost in trigger pulls before absolutely needing to reload any day of the week! And I'll still carry extra mags. Can't wait for a 43X frame chambered in 30 Super Carry with Shield Arms brand mags... they'll be almost 20 round flush fit mags, in a 43X. Or similar size P365

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    many more flavors
    More 30 Super Carry "flavors" are coming, for sure. The lighter weight and higher capacity benefits of 30 Super Carry are too much to ignore, especially when like you said just about all you need is a barrel swap and the terminal ballistics are near identical to 9mm

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's two extra rounds actually.

Article said two in a double and one in a single stack mag. I dunno. I'll let you wunderkinds try it for 10-15 years and report back. Then....maybe.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Article said two in a double and one in a single stack mag. I dunno. I'll let you wunderkinds try it for 10-15 years and report back. Then....maybe.
    I'll be the first to admit that 30 Super Carry ain't anything I'd have thought about all by itself. Had it not been part of working up a trade for a 308 I really wanted then I would have never given it a second glance. Anybody on this forum the last couple years knows I have been singing the praises of 9mm, Glocks and Glock mag carbines for years. I can't wait for somebody to produce a carbine in 30 Super Carry. That will be the deciding factor on whether or not I ever EDC one of these over a G19. Hey, I never thought anybody would ever produce a carbine in 380 either, and now they do

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s close to 9mm performance but not quite! Ammo more expensive! Soooo, the point is....? Yeah, I thought so.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    It’s close to 9mm performance but not quite! Ammo more expensive! Soooo, the point is....? Yeah, I thought so.
    The caliber deadliness/performance debate was over, last I checked. Everybody had consensus that shot placement was King. The point is it's lighter weight than 9mm and higher capacity than 9mm in the same size frames. As far as cost of ammo... gotta pay to play... or not... I got my 30 Super Carry ammo and pistol for free. There are ways around paying retail prices, like by not shopping at retail establishments (!) and trading for it like I did. I traded up three different ways from something I got for free. I've got zero dollars invested in my 30 Super Carry ammo and pistol. Zero. Anybody can do that for anything they want if they just put forth the effort

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Hell, have fun with it. Also, Not a military caliber, might be a good thing. Ya never know what these wack jobs in power might decide we don't need. I've often wondered why some company's stamp their weapons .223 instead of 5.56.

Top Bottom