• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1978

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone have any experience loading 30-30 with lead bullets? I have made some hard cast 160 gr. RN lead bullets with gas checks and would like to push them around 1600-1800 F.P.S. My Lee manual only list 3 powders for the 160 grain Lee bullet I am using and I don't have any of those powders. I have used Unique for plinking loads and that is it. I have some 2400, BLC-2, H335, and a few others I can't think of at the moment. Anyone loaded anything similar? I am thinking of using load data for same weight jacketed bullets and starting at about 4 gr below min loads listed.

rj1978

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yes, I am casting the bullets with a Lee mold for 160 grain round nose. Its the C309-160-R mold. I am also sizing them at .309 and tumble lubing them.

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nice man. I havent loaded any cast for rifles yet but want to. i have a few other kinds of powder if you want to try any of them out and see how they do with that bullet your more than welcome to. Next time you go to cast some ill buy some from you to try in my 30-30 or 06. I have a bunch of lead i can give you to cast some too. Ive only cast pistol bullets so far.

rj1978

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will let you know when I cast some more. I am going to order some more lead from Roto-Metals the end of this week. I like to use their lead for the bullets I want to push hard. With there lead I know exactly what I got. I do use wheel weight lead for all my pistol loads so far though. I also cast some hard 357 bullets also that I will be experimenting with, same deal with gas checks. Will post what I do when able. I hope to shoot some this weekend.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have that mold too!
    Works great and made a bunch myself.

Tumble lubed in Alox.

Got mold, resize die and gas checks from Midway.
    Loaded a mild load in 30-06 and pleased with accuracy.
    Loaded maybe 150 30-30's for a friend but he hasn't shot any yet to report back on accuracy.
    Told him they were loaded light and would probably be good plinking loads for his 94 Winchester.

Top Bottom