• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been on a .223 kick lately and want to take a break from my 870 slug gun and my A-Bolt is too pretty ( and for sale btw;) and loving the accuracy I've been getting out of my, wait for it.....Kel Tec SU16. For those of you who hunt with the .223, what ammo do you shoot and have any performance stories from the field? I've been using Core Lokt SP and I've never had a deer or hog go more than 20yds. I'm almost out and ready to try something new, I'm shooting 75yds max and prefer head shots on pigs and neck shots on deer. Thanks for any info. Clayjunky

Last edited:

Hunkyfish

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    I'd look for some of the Hornady offerings,,,
    the 75gr TAP FPD loads & the 75gr BTHP Superperformance Match
    There is a good article in the Oct 1st issue of Shotgun News where they were testing the LWRC AR with a 10.5 inch barrel. The rds managed under 1inch MOA at 100yds with 2360 FPS at the muzzle

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up some Hornady Z-max Zombie Killer ammo. Aside from the ridiculous packaging, these rounds look pretty deadly with that ballistic tip.

Embry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also With an Ar type you can't have more than 5 rounds of ammunition in a magazine that's in the weapon... That's just for the guys shooting with Ar's

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Allow me to state my opinion on the killing ability of the 223Rem/5.56. In the bullet "equation" bullet make-up is FAR more important than the weight. I have a friend in my hunting club in P'cola. He lives on a semi-rural piece of property in Bogia. He has younger daughters and a son. His property has tons of hogs. His family has killed hundreds of hogs and deer with several different 223's ...... ALL with the lighter bullets.

You need ---> solid copper makeup or a Nosler Partition
    velocities kept at the higher levels
    proper shot placement ......heart and/or double lung..... OR square on the shoulder for the frag.
    You don't need ---> a boat-tail bullet
    a heavy(>62gr)bullet. My experience has proved that a 50-55gr at the higher speeds will work great.

Any bullet that will cleanly take a 200+ pound hog will very easily kill a 120 pound deer given PROPER shot placement.

Good shootin' to all. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I posted this on a thread about .30 bullets: 180gr Barnes X Great B.C. Loaded them in .300 WHBY and M14SA. Super Elk medicine. Neither of these were loaded to max powder charge as I found accuracy suffers. Full expansion on every bullet recovered and most were against the hide on the opposite side.
    Followed by the Swift A-Frame. Then Nosler Partition
    Hornady ballistic tips were almost as accurate as the Barnes X, but destroy hide (thick skinned game) on entry side (6 in Dia) and fragment through surrounding area. They are truly Ballistic! Split a coyote in 3rds (middle third missing) with one loaded in 30.06.

On 22-250 ballistic tip loads were also devastating on coyotes but a body hit will leave very little I want to take home for dinner. When I said above about the hide damage, the meat was destroyed also.

WR

Top Bottom