• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Time to really get in the mood for the new season....lets see what you have on Camera this year
    It's a deer buffet Rice Bran or Corn....got em coming. Later that night some of the boys show up. interesting that last year this was a doe only spot

Attachments

• MFDC0038.jpg
      MFDC0038.jpg
      105.2 KB · Views: 243
    • MFDC0022.jpg
      MFDC0022.jpg
      50.3 KB · Views: 231
    • MFDC0067.jpg
      MFDC0067.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 235

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What is a bag of rice bran going for this year ?? I haven't got any in a couple of years but last time I did it was $12.50 for 50lbs. We use is pretty spareingly over here. One bag will last all year(per plot). Deer absolutely love the stuff ..... hogs and turkey do also.

What is the general location of your club ?? --- SAWMAN

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SLICK! Never would have thought of using the pipes to keep critters off, thanks for sharing!

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How is that pile of rice bran once it rains? You have some future wall hangers in your area!

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Still about $12 Sawman - Walnut Hill - Pineville Rd and Occie Philips is the Southeast corner - Peridio River is the West boundary. Normally I use a pile driver to dispense (auger style feeder) but a bear took a liking to it on another spot and this bag was torn so I dumped it on a stump in this spot to see how they would take to it. I have another spot that they wont touch it - just taters and corn. No hogs on our lease and we like it that way - we know they are close....we have way too many coyotes though

Pipes worked a year Clay then the coons figured out a way up them - so I just greased them up too - that is working for now.

Rain will wash it Brandon - best solution is the Pile Driver - runs on a timer like a regular feeder so you can dump as much as you want when you want. I use them for rice bran and Tuckers Sweet Mix depends on what they will eat. Tuckers is horse supplement - grain, corn vitamins mixed with molasses - 12% protein...the deer that take to it will walk past the corn and bran to eat it and costs $8.50 a 50lb sack.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I use pieces of 3" PVC on one of my feeders. It will deter the hogs from slammin' the legs and I put a small piece of old white plastic cutting board under the PVC(between the PVC and the ground,so that the PVC sits on the plastic). When the critters(even tree rats)tries to climb it,the PVC will swivel around the tri-pod legs and dump them off.

When that rice bran is finally taken into the ground by rain and dew,the deer and hogs still root and paw at it.The deer were pawing at the spot that I had put rice bran at over 9 months later. If it is stiil cheap I will hit up the Walnut Hill CO-OP for a couple of bags agin this year. --- SAWMAN

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have 4" PVC sewer pipe suspended from the feeder with braided fishing line and a swivel to allow it to spin and dump. Got pictures this year of them climbing by flattening and balancing to keep it from spinning so I greased them. Working so far - next time I am going to use smaller pipe and see if that stops them from climbing.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What I used some years ago was a quite sticky substance in a small'ish can called "Tanglefoot". It was designed and marketed to the agriculture type farmers that had fruit trees. It was rubbed around the trunk of a tree about 3 feet up to deter the bugs from climbing the tree.

This was,BY FAR,the stickiest substance that I have ever seen. If you got it on your fingers it would take multiple treatments with gasoline to remove it. Nothing would climb past/through it,not even a racoon. Don't know if this stuff is still on the market or not.

To add slickness you can also use PAM cooking spray or spray Silicone. --- SAWMAN

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yes famine, boys showing up late night here too....pics coming soon !!
    sure glad no rooters here also, and like it like that !!
    our other place we will be occupying in mid sept before bow season we got
    too many of them slimey black stinkin baster'ds in that part of the county to be working with the land in.
    we don't really mind rattlers, they at least will stand up to ya !!
    and thatsa good thing too !!:smokin:

last year I seen more cottonmouths than I have seen in my entire life !!!

I will have 10days off from work the 3rd week of sept to prepare for the season.

so far it looks like its going to be entertaining at the least !!! :rockon:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom