• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger816

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been entertaining the idea of trying to build a 1911. Anyone in here ever done it? Ideas on where to buy best parts especially frames? Don't wanna sink a lot of money into it...more of like a play/carry gun.. Thanks in advance.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have built many and usually use Caspian Slides and frame. Little more money and can get Wilson Combat. Fusion Firearms also make great parts. Unless you plan on building more than one it's hard to justify the expense of the tools you will need for it. There is a great deal of fitting involved in building one and requires some tools. Other than your standard punches, hammer, vise, armorers block etc you will need plunger tube staking tool, sear jig, stones, files, calipers, trigger track stone, slide file, hammer hook stone, barrel lug cutter, barrel lug file, marking fluid, lapping compound etc.

Brownells and midway are good places to get the parts and tools needed.

E sarco inc also carry some cheap armscor/RIA frames, slides, barrels and parts kits. They are not top of the line parts, but for your first build and for a play/range gun would be a good start.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm planning on building one soon (within the next year) and I've started watching this guy's videos starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvr1DpUZeng

I haven't watched all of them and I would do some things a little differently, but it's a pretty good visualization of what all needs to be done.

Lots of tools needed, but it looks like it will be a VERY rewarding project. I just picked up a cheap 1911 and I'm going to be upgrading and fitting some parts to it in order to help me learn how to build a complete parts gun.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe I'm a pimp, because I think it's AWESOME!!!

I'd love to see it in person, do you do commissioned work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks. I do. I'm actually about to work with GunDr out of his shop part time once he opens.

This gun was one of my charity builds I did for Chris Kyle's wounded veterans foundation before he past away. Was auctioning it off and donated all proceeds, so wanted it to be as eye catching as possible. It turned out good. The guy whom one the auction actually called me up and had me build a twin to it in commander size.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe I'm a pimp, because I think it's AWESOME!!!

I'd love to see it in person, do you do commissioned work?

That makes us both pimps. I don't normally like "shiny" guns, but that is really well done.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks. I do. I'm actually about to work with GunDr out of his shop part time once he opens.

This gun was one of my charity builds I did for Chris Kyle's wounded veterans foundation before he past away. Was auctioning it off and donated all proceeds, so wanted it to be as eye catching as possible. It turned out good. The guy whom one the auction actually called me up and had me build a twin to it in commander size.

That's awesome. I'll be seeing you in his shop, that's really great. I'm a GunDr fan.

Top Bottom