• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Both are extremely Anti American imho. So I can join up and be issued a firearm but can’t own one, and I can lose a God given right codified only behind free speech in the founding of this nation. Pre crime dystopian BS.

lil'skeet

Master
    I think y'all are missing the point. Our masters are looking out for our safety. Just accept it and vote "D". Don't forget to get your booster shot too. We should not be questioning authority. They were voted in by us to give answers to our problems and make sure we are safe and prosperous.

justapilgrim

Marksman
    I think y'all are missing the point. Our masters are looking out for our safety. Just accept it and vote "D". Don't forget to get your booster shot too. We should not be questioning authority. They were voted in by us to give answers to our problems and make sure we are safe and prosperous.
    Yep... Agenda 2030 ...we'll all own nothing and be happy.

Gotta love some sarcasm. :)

does not affect person to person sales does it?
    Yes it does. They have to be legally able to purchase a firearm and that means they have to be a minimum of 21 years of age. It makes no difference whether it is a dealer sale or a private sale. Private sellers are just as responsible as FFL dealers to make sure the person buying is legally able to do so.

Scorpio7821

Marksman
    Yes it does. They have to be legally able to purchase a firearm and that means they have to be a minimum of 21 years of age. It makes no difference whether it is a dealer sale or a private sale. Private sellers are just as responsible as FFL dealers to make sure the person buying is legally able to do so.
    Damn guess I got lucky this year as I turned 21 lol

@FrankT

I will add that this 21 years of age thing is ridiculous. It should be reversed to be 18 years old again, at least for rifles. Handguns should remain at 21 years of age as it has been for years.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    ...Private sellers are just as responsible as FFL dealers to make sure the person buying is legally able to do so.

Not exactly. Private sellers aren’t required by law to examine government-issued identification. They aren’t required by law to enter Privacy Act information into a NICS database and run a background check.

Private sellers aren’t supposed to sell to someone they KNOW isn’t eligible. What questions are asked, answered, and believed is up to the seller.

I don’t advocate breaking the law, but I sure as heck don’t advocate going above-and-beyond to infringe on someone’s rights. There are plenty of historical, legitimate, and perfectly Constitutional reasons that private sales should remain as such: PRIVATE.

Not exactly. Private sellers aren’t required by law to examine government-issued identification. They aren’t required by law to enter Privacy Act information into a NICS database and run a background check.

Private sellers aren’t supposed to sell to someone they KNOW isn’t eligible. What questions are asked, answered, and believed is up to the seller.

I don’t advocate breaking the law, but I sure as heck don’t advocate going above-and-beyond to infringe on someone’s rights. There are plenty of historical, legitimate, and perfectly Constitutional reasons that private sales should remain as such: PRIVATE.
    I did not say that private sellers were REQUIRED by law, but they are just as responsible as an FFL for making sure that the person they are selling to is legally able to purchase and own a firearm per state laws. To sell a firearm to anyone who is not legally eligible is irresponsible and illegal and can open themselves up to possible legal problems should the sale be brought to law enforcement's attention. It is always better to be safe and legal rather than sorry. It is also a very good practice to keep a personal record of all acquisitions and dispositions in the event a situation may arise in regard to a firearm you purchased or sold of which law enforcement has gotten involved. All in all, be wise when selling firearms rather than being a wise ass and disregarding the laws.

That said, do I agree with all of the laws regarding firearms? No. Do I agree that 18-20 year-olds cannot purchase a firearm? No, as long as they can pass a background check. We know that the 2nd Amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms and that there is no age limit placed on that right, however, lawmakers have seen fit to make laws that infringe on this right. We are not at liberty to break laws just because we do not believe in them. If someone knowingly and willfully sells a firearm to someone who is 18-20 years of age, then they have broken the law as well as the person buying the firearm.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    I did not say that private sellers were REQUIRED by law, but they are just as responsible as an FFL for making sure that the person they are selling to is legally able to purchase and own a firearm per state laws. To sell a firearm to anyone who is not legally eligible is irresponsible and illegal and can open themselves up to possible legal problems should the sale be brought to law enforcement's attention. It is always better to be safe and legal rather than sorry. It is also a very good practice to keep a personal record of all acquisitions and dispositions in the event a situation may arise in regard to a firearm you purchased or sold of which law enforcement has gotten involved. All in all, be wise when selling firearms rather than being a wise ass and disregarding the laws.

That said, do I agree with all of the laws regarding firearms? No. Do I agree that 18-20 year-olds cannot purchase a firearm? No, as long as they can pass a background check. We know that the 2nd Amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms and that there is no age limit placed on that right, however, lawmakers have seen fit to make laws that infringe on this right. We are not at liberty to break laws just because we do not believe in them. If someone knowingly and willfully sells a firearm to someone who is 18-20 years of age, then they have broken the law as well as the person buying the firearm.

I’m not advocating breaking a law.

“Wise ass” or not.

I’m just pointing out that an FFL’s responsibilities are more involved than a private seller’s.

We seem to be splitting hairs on the same side of the issue.

I’m not advocating breaking a law.

“Wise ass” or not.

I’m just pointing out that an FFL’s responsibilities are more involved than a private seller’s.

We seem to be splitting hairs on the same side of the issue.
    Not so much the FFL's responsibilities, but that of their legal and regulatory requirements per their federal licensing. FFL's also have to use their common sense as do private sellers. Private sellers do not have to meet any federal or state regulatory requirements, but as I said, they have to abide by state laws when it comes to selling to an individual and common sense. A seller is not allow someone who is not legally able to purchase a firearm to do so.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Not so much the FFL's responsibilities, but that of their legal and regulatory requirements per their federal licensing. FFL's also have to use their common sense as do private sellers. Private sellers do not have to meet any federal or state regulatory requirements, but as I said, they have to abide by state laws when it comes to selling to an individual and common sense. A seller is not allow someone who is not legally able to purchase a firearm to do so.

Nah. A private seller is not allowed to sell to a person who is prohibited from possessing a firearm. Not prohibited from selling to someone who may not be able to purchase from an FFL. There’s a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah. A private seller is not allowed to sell to a person who is prohibited from possessing a firearm. Not prohibited from selling to someone who may not be able to purchase from an FFL. There’s a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is not a difference. If a person is prohibited from buying and possessing a firearm for one reason or another, it is against the law for anyone to sell them one whether it is a private seller or an FFL dealer. Every private seller should be asking to see proof of age and state of residence. I do and I will not sell to someone who does not meet the simple legal parameters (providing a state issued ID indicating age and state of residence). I may even ask to see a concealed weapons permit on occasion depending on the person. If a person refuses to show ID, I will not sell them anything. Fortunately, I have not had that happen yet.

RackinRay

Master
    Was going to stay outta this one, but where in the linked notification does it say 18-20 year old's cannot legally buy a firearm? Seems to be an enhanced background check, which is not meaning they cannot buy from an FFL in my understanding.

"As a result of the passage of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act (BSCA) of 2022, signed into law on June 25, 2022, the NICS Section has been working towards the implementation of an enhanced background check process for persons between the ages of 18-20. The enhancement provides the opportunity for additional outreach and research to be conducted regarding the existence of any juvenile adjudication information and/or mental health prohibition. As a result, transactions on persons between the ages of 18-20 will initially be delayed and the address of the individual will be collected so that the appropriate local and state entities may be contacted. The enhanced process will begin on November 14, 2022, for all transactions on persons under the age of 21 as previously described. Checks on persons under the age of 21 could be extended for a period up to ten business days. Therefore, it is possible for an FFL to be contacted with an updated Brady Transfer Date. As a temporary measure and until the NICS can be updated to provide this information electronically, NICS staff will be calling FFLs to advise of any change in the transfer date. In preparation for calls from NICS, you will be asked to verify your license number and code word. You may wish to have this information readily available for you and your staff."

Was going to stay outta this one, but where in the linked notification does it say 18-20 year old's cannot legally buy a firearm? Seems to be an enhanced background check, which is not meaning they cannot buy from an FFL in my understanding.

"As a result of the passage of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act (BSCA) of 2022, signed into law on June 25, 2022, the NICS Section has been working towards the implementation of an enhanced background check process for persons between the ages of 18-20. The enhancement provides the opportunity for additional outreach and research to be conducted regarding the existence of any juvenile adjudication information and/or mental health prohibition. As a result, transactions on persons between the ages of 18-20 will initially be delayed and the address of the individual will be collected so that the appropriate local and state entities may be contacted. The enhanced process will begin on November 14, 2022, for all transactions on persons under the age of 21 as previously described. Checks on persons under the age of 21 could be extended for a period up to ten business days. Therefore, it is possible for an FFL to be contacted with an updated Brady Transfer Date. As a temporary measure and until the NICS can be updated to provide this information electronically, NICS staff will be calling FFLs to advise of any change in the transfer date. In preparation for calls from NICS, you will be asked to verify your license number and code word. You may wish to have this information readily available for you and your staff."

Top Bottom