• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    GUN: Stag 5H 6.8 Upper, Spikes Lower, Redfield 3-9x40, Troy Battle Rail, Magpul CTR Stock, SSA 110 TSX
    Equipment: TX Boars RPG single Classic, Cheapo Green kill light $10 140 Lumen, 12’ Tower, Thermacell
    Results: 170lb Sow at 35yds head shot.

Headed out to the lease to bait and change camera cards, also to see how much rain we got, arrived 10AM. The 2 main areas we hunt, 3rd is flooded, refilled barrels, threw out scratch, pulled camera cards, yes I drove to both! Finished about noon and was going out but my buddy SawMan and I talked and he was coming out to hunt, so I took a nap out of the area and waited.

4PM he shows we talk and get set up in the stands after spreading some shelled peanuts swept off the processors floor about 5PM sunset 6:48 or so. 6:30 I have 2 doe come in, they stayed about 30 min, loved the peanuts, went into the woods and about 15min later I hear deer blowing all around me...I know the hogs are on their way leaving the swamps.

I have my single classic RPG pointed at the feeder barrel the light is about 9" up so it glows over the length of the plot for my tower to the feeder and a bit beyond total about 60yds with these tired old eyes(light goes on at dark). The light is 15' away from my tower and I ran wire to the tower so I can attach to the battery as desired. I also have a variety of Green mounted kill lights, tonite I was using the $10 140 lumen due to the short distance.

Hogs started filtering in at the 60 Yd mark10-5 yds of the feeder, did not like the light so backed out, then cam back in with no fear 10 min later. About 40 med to small hogs, was ready to pass on them due to the small size and wait but after 45 min and them eating a ton of bait I decided one should go home w me. We eat these hogs and don’t eradicate. The one that was beating my 55gal barrel to death 35 yds from me seemed to be the largest on the plot, and the easiest to get a head shot on. I took the shot using the RPG and to get a bit more detail I also had my kill light on, when the muzzle loader amount of smoke cleared, there it was lying on the ground. Then much to my surprise it got up and tried to head to the woods, not wanting to track this animal(she would have been dead in 40 yds, first I have ever had get up after the 6.8 hits) I took the second shot to cap off the kill. Her size surprised me as I thought she was much smaller, maybe I need to wear my glasses hunting! I think I will switch to the Hornady 120 SST

The not PG or nursing sow was in very good shape, very fat and at least 1” of fat under the hide. She is in my cooler and salt water brine as I type this.

PICT0301.jpg

PICT0304.jpg

SANY00082.jpg

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    very nice hog frank , wish I had hogs on my land. strange they are plenty north of hwy 97 but none seem to cross the road to my side.

Nice rifle also , I would trade you my 300 blackout if you threw in a couple of Glocks :D

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks Guys! Very nice and a load of meat, shoulders, hams and backstrap filled up a 54 gallon cooler!

I would trade for a 300 or just buy an upper but only suppressed and sub sonic ammo IF I could use it for hunting in FL, have no need for it any other way, I think it may be the better in that config. LOL at my gun and 2 glocks!

Sawman took a 247lb boar off the lease and now this one, and it was with 40 others all smaller though, she had to be the Alpha sow.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nice pig! I'd rather have a nice sow for meat than a big boar, any day. I got lucky with the one pig I've ever killed. She was a sow, about 90 lbs, and had a set of cutters on her! So I got a skull mount you couldn't tell from a boar, and some lean meat. Not much on the ribs, though.
    As far as having them on my land, I don't know...I really like my berry bushes. I'd be happy to help someone else kill one or two, though...hint ;)

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well we try not to kill wet or PG sows, in fact I would have picked a boar rather than a good breeder sow if I could have seen.

With a salt water brine for 2-4 days, most wild and boar tastes are out of the meat, I do this w every hog I kill, that is why I have never taken one to a processor.

jb1dsl

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice hog!! We trapped three this morning. The biggest sow had a heart attack as we drug her out of the trap pin. Dressed her out and in the cooler!!

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    so Im being serious here...

can I go sometime? Have never hunted. I could take an AR, and AK, an SKS, a mosin nagant, choice of 3 12ga's, a 20ga auto, a .45 1911........a freaking RAMBO knife!

lol.

T140

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Great post Frank, keep promoting the 6.8. Salt/water ratio in your brine?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    T140, I use Kosher or sea salt, the ratio is 1 cup to a gallon of water, I drain and replace it after the first 24 hrs..no it does not make the meat salty but when taken out of the brine it looks like store bough pork.

Embry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey I wouldn't mind being a tag a long...I have rifles too lol but I wouldn't mind atleast getting the experience and some knowledge

Latest posts

Top Bottom