• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I started last year. I'm getting good results with AA #9 powder and Hornady 180gr XTP's.

13.6grs. is getting me 1290 FPS from a G40.

Kills hogs effectively as well as deer so I've not tried any other load development other than the 155gr XTP which was running around 1450 FPS.

This guy, and others, dropped in their tracks...

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I've loaded 10mm since the late 80s, but I don't give out my personal load data. You can find load data for most powders online, but today's published loads are pretty watered down from the early ones. If you can find an early load manual, it'll have loads more up to the potential of the 10mm. But like any load data, proceed with extreme caution.

+1 for AA #9, and I also like Blue Dot.

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I load 10mm, but I don't give out my personal load data. You can find load data for most powders online, but today's published loads are pretty watered down from the early ones. If you can find a load manual from say, early 90s, it'd probably have loads more up to the potential of the 10mm. But like any load data, proceed with extreme caution.

Looking for the hotter stuff. Everything recent definitely seems to produce pretty low velocity

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The heaviest 10 MM bullets I've seen are 220 gn. When you go above 200 gn. I think you are really limiting your powder options

That's kind of what I noticed when I started looking into 10mm data.

I'm by no means an experienced 10mm loader, but I felt the 180gr was a nice compromise between weight and speed.

I'm not sure if going above 180gr would benefit me any...

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've loaded 10mm since the late 80s, but I don't give out my personal load data. You can find load data for most powders online, but today's published loads are pretty watered down from the early ones. If you can find an early load manual, it'll have loads more up to the potential of the 10mm. But like any load data, proceed with extreme caution.

I wanted to go Blue Dot but unfortunately could not find any. Have PLENTY of AA #9 that works GREAT in .300 BO sub-loads so I gave it a try, glad I did.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have some copied pages from Sierra, looks weak.

Don't know if this helps, but it's what I used when considering my load development.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I'm by no means an expert. Ymmv.
    AA#9 12.5g 200 gr gold dot hp. I don't have a chronograph. So no speed info.
    Accurate @ 100. Deadly from my carbine. DRT never took a step. +/- 50 yards. Back side of deer had a hole I could stick my flat hand in up to my thumb. Wouldn't think twice about grabbing it and going deer hunting again. ( under 100 yards) want to take a deer with my G20.
    20220112_173201.jpg

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I don't get or give "recipes" for loads but if you need more punch than Alliant #9 published data, you need a .454 :)
    Wasn't needing more, just had noticed a lot of the stuff in my few manuals seem pretty low, considering what underwood ammo is putting out, that's supposedly safe for all 10mm handguns.

gnappi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wasn't needing more, just had noticed a lot of the stuff in my few manuals seem pretty low, considering what underwood ammo is putting out, that's supposedly safe for all 10mm handguns.
    Nope, the AA9 data gives you 200 grainers at around 1200 fps. That's LOW to you?

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nope, the AA9 data gives you 200 grainers at around 1200 fps. That's LOW to you?
    My manual doesn't show that. Older sierra manual I borrowed to read through has a 190 grain hitting 1050 max. Got one from hornady showing 1100 max for 200 grain. Don't really NEED any more, just curious at this point as to what it can REALLY do without damaging anything.

Last edited:

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Top Bottom