• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I already know how this is going to go, so I'm going to ask that all responses be related to ONLY the scopes mentioned in this post. I understand that there are better scopes out there, but not everyone can lay down $300 to $1000+ for an optic.
    I have become owner of 2 scopes and was trying to determine which one to use on my 16" 5.56 AR.
    One is a 3x9x32 Simmons 8 point, and the other is a
    3x9x40 IR NcStar. Both are new. I know that they're Chinese and most people think they're junk, but put that aside and help me choose, please.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It will be extremely important for us to know the intended application for these scopes.
    If they will be used for hunting,target,plinking,and at what ranges will be helpful for the members that will try to help you. --- SAWMAN

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    "If you already know the answer, there really is no question." besides its not really a big difference in the 2 so how about which ever one you like the most. Problem solved, next.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think the choice would be better accomplished by you, opposed to us, since you have them both in hand. Both scopes have their pros and cons. The simmons supposedly has misaligned reticle, and the NcStar mostly used on air-guns, might not be able to handle continual recoil on your AR?

What I do with my scopes before I even mount it, and before sight-in, is to turn the Elevation Turret (left or right) all the way to stop, then slowly count each click to the opposite stop. Divide this number in half, then count back to the mid number. Do the Windage Turret the same way. This will put your cross-hair (reticle) in center before you start.
    If you have the specs of the scope, or can find it on-line, then you wouldn't need to count them, just run it turret to stop, then count back to half the max. ie. 180 total windage clicks/adjustment, then you'd count 90 clicks back, same with elevation. g/l

Don357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Haven't made a concrete decision yet, but I am leaning towards the NcStar. 1. 3x9x40 instead of x32 2. Lighted reticle for near dark shooting, but not sure if I really like the blue lens coating. The Simmons is practically clear. Got some more things to check before final decision.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Generally speaking the fixed power scopes in the lower price range tend to be more consistent than the variable ones. That being said there are some great values on scopes around the $100 mark. Nikon Pro staff, Pentax Gameseeker, and Mueller are really good scopes for not a lot of money. Just my .02 worth!

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Years ago I ran a Simmons 3×9 ($40) on a mini 14 (.233). Inexpensive as it was it held Zero fine. It did not track well as clicks did not move consistent distances. So it was a bit tedious to dial in but it held the setting. Thats my Vote.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom