• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    During the pandemic there were some temporary road blocks set up on some interstates.

Raven

Master
    when the truth of the matter is when SHTF any home with electricity and the smell of ribeyes on the grill, fruit trees and gardens will be a HUGE TARGET.

Be a hard target. Really hard. Concrete is your best friend. Steel security doors. Bars on second story windows with metal roll top hurricane shutters. No windows on the ground floor. Interior courtyards. Think "third world cartel compound". Gravity fed water supply behind concrete. Can't see the house from the road. Vehicle barriers. Deep "irrigation" trenches. Strategic relocation is the biggest most important prep anybody can make.

Refuse to live in a wooden house. It's a wooden tent. A tinder box. An undefendable death trap. Cheap, sure.
    "Cheapness will be the death of you"

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    That is another one I have been looking at, thinking of buying a couple “Life Straws” off of Amazon.
    @Flounder Hounder

Life straws are considered only safe against bacteria. Still gotta boil or hit it with a couple drops of bleach. Or just use a filter that filters on the level of a purifier, like a Sawyer filter does (available at Walmart). Liquid bleach is heavy and can get messy, so when rucking I prefer the anti viral water treatment pills from Katadyn. They're about a dollar a pill and only treat one quart every 4 hours... but if you're running a series of one quart canteens it's easy to keep track of which ones are "cooking" and which are ready to drink. Bonuses with Katadyn pills are that there's no fire needed for boiling, so you maintain light discipline and you can also get potable water while raining. They take up no room in the pack hardly but they're expensive. By the way, the cheap Potable Aqua water pills that are like $5 for a whole bottle of them are only good against bacteria too. Don't let cheapness be the death of you ;)

Last edited:

NavCorman

Master
    My neighborhood and most others near me do not have natural gas. There are natural gas transmission lines in the area on the major roads, but they do not come into the neighborhoods. The developers do not want to pay the costs of them. It is possible in during a tornado for gas lines connected to a house to get disconnected. I think I still have a wrench intended to cut off natural gas from my time in CERT. CERT is intended to help deal with emergencies.
    CERT training is indeed valuable . I’ve posted a few times about getting people interested in it . It’s free . You get SWAG and credentials . Great to have in emergencies . We have a couple of teams in Okaloosa County .

FrommerStop

Master
    Not if you have your own natural gas well ;)

View attachment 284843 View attachment 284844
    You will need permission to be drilling and going through the local floridan aquifer; it will cause attention. Locally in pace and escambia county it has been pumped full of pollutants by the old Monsanto site and also by some of the chem plants in florida town. The process is called deep well injection of pollution. One concern is leakage of the floridan aquifer into the shallow sand and gravel aquifer that has our drinking sources. There are a few abandoned explorative dry oil wells in the general area and it has not happened yet. Anyway not a practical option for most of us here.

Raven

Master
    Also developed a fetish for collecting Bic lighters after reading that Yugoslavian guys blog

Yugoslavia is happening all over again right now in Israel. Wonder if a can of Spam still buys anything you want

"Now, a top UN official has warned the crisis is worse than previously assessed. The head of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Cindy McCain is now warning that northern Gaza is in the midst of a “full-blown famine.”
    She further said that famine is “moving its way south” in a new NBC News interview set to air Sunday. She described that this is based on the humanitarian office’s assessment on the ground.
    "It’s horror. It’s so hard to look at and it’s so hard to hear,” McCain told Meet the Press"

https://www.infowars.com/posts/northern-gaza-in-grip-of-full-blown-famine-un-food-agency-chief-says/#:~:text=Now, a top,Meet the Press

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Yugoslavia is happening all over again right now in Israel. Wonder if a can of Spam still buys anything you want

"Now, a top UN official has warned the crisis is worse than previously assessed. The head of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Cindy McCain is now warning that northern Gaza is in the midst of a “full-blown famine.”
    She further said that famine is “moving its way south” in a new NBC News interview set to air Sunday. She described that this is based on the humanitarian office’s assessment on the ground.
    "It’s horror. It’s so hard to look at and it’s so hard to hear,” McCain told Meet the Press"

https://www.infowars.com/posts/northern-gaza-in-grip-of-full-blown-famine-un-food-agency-chief-says/#:~:text=Now, a top,Meet the Press
    Such has happen many times in that land since at least the bronze age collapse hit israel. see:

Israelite Origins: the Late Bronze Age collapse https://biblicalhistoricalcontext.c...raelite-origins-the-late-bronze-age-collapse/

In his excellent 1177 B.C. The Year Civilization Collapsed Eric Cline sums up just how serious the chaos was:

The magnitude of the catastrophe was enormous; it was a loss such as the world would not see again until the Roman Empire collapsed more than fifteen hundred years later.1
    It has now been more than 1500 years since Rome collapsed. I certainly hope it is not our turn now.

FrommerStop

Master

There are even comparative courses in genocide

20th CENTURY COMPARATIVE GENOCIDES​

2015 Spring Term​

3 Units

History 445​

The course covers major genocides in the 20th century including the Armenian Genocide, the Holocaust, Holodomar, Khmer Rouge, Rwandan Genocide, Bosnian Genocide, and the genocide in Darfur. The course examines definitions of genocide, historical causes and consequences and contemporary debates regarding the local and global impacts of these events.

Other Requirements: PREREQ: JUNIOR STANDING OR CONSENT OF INSTRUCTOR

FrommerStop

Master
    So move to where it is?
    By the way I do not own the mineral rights for my land and there are two drill site of five acres each on the local land next to me. It sold super cheap and means that those that own the mineral rights can come and drill if they have the permits. At the time humbolt oil owned my mineral rights, but I am not sure of the current owners. I have leased my mineral rights on the few acres that I inherited in the Williston, ND dome area and receive small checks every month or so.
    Moving to drill:
    Still not a practical option. There are various points of view on the need for prepping. Some are absolutely sure there will be a complete break down of society and that is the worst outcome.
    The majority believe it will never happen.

I am in between. I foresee high food prices and my prepping can deal with that. I see it could get worse and for most scenarios what I am doing gives me better odds for survival. But as an elderly person of moderate means uprooting to where I can drill for gas without permitting would be a poor decision that flies in the face of logic.
    Talk about being a target for raiders.

Road Warrior, Mad Max scene at the refinery

1714929627998.png

5lima30ret

Master
    Lowes and Home Depot are the last place I would buy an appliance from! Both use third party delivery service that use crack/meth heads for deliveries! Good luck if you need warranty service! You get to deal with the manufacturer which is not in the US! I use a local family owned appliance business that services what they sell with their own delivery people.

Raven

Master
    Lowes and Home Depot are the last place I would buy an appliance from! Both use third party delivery service that use crack/meth heads for deliveries! Good luck if you need warranty service! You get to deal with the manufacturer which is not in the US! I use a local family owned appliance business that services what they sell with their own delivery people.
    I am not a crack/meth head. Neither were any other plumbers I worked with. We all passed drug tests and extensive background checks to be able to work on base in the barracks. Apology not needed.

FrommerStop

Master
    Must really suck to be so afraid. But I guess not enough suck to make yourself not afraid with concrete, relocation or armament
    I have a mostly concrete building. My moderate means says there is no way I can relocate and pay for building what you recommend. I am financially mostly stuck exactly where I am. Plus I think this is good area to be overall. Winters are mild and taxes are still within reason for old tyme residents.
    Afraid! I am ready to die, hopefully with a warm gun in my hands. But I hope we can put that off a few years. I am concerned about running out of money more than anything else or getting seriously ill. I did my daily run this morning just like I am sure you did to try and stay healthy.

FrommerStop

Master
    I am not a crack/meth head. Neither were any other plumbers I worked with. We all passed drug tests and extensive background checks to be able to work on base in the barracks. Apology not needed.
    I do not know precisely what lowes and home depot do relative to third party contractors. But I as a rule do not trust anyone that I do not know on my property. Especially since I do keep firearms and such at my home.

Combatcarl43

Expert
    I've eaten a 14 year old mre for science. Not good at all. Had a foil taste and probably no benefit except filling my stomach. We like stuff that we normally use and can be used in daily meals. Gotta test em for science!
    I've eaten New MREs that taste about the same!

Hootus

Shooter
    Top Bottom