• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does the choice (action-caliber) of a hunting rifle change/determine what day scope, reticle, magnification, and turret values you select? What is required vice what is best? What's on your hunting rifle or rifles and why? For example: I use my day scope to determine the estimated range to the game I'm targeting. Therefore I require a Mildot Reticle instead of a Simple Clean Duplex. Since I pass on shots over 300 yards, a larger field of view is a higher priority than magnification over 6X. My Weaver Tactical Scopes all have locking turrets, that way rubbing/scraping in thick brush doesn't accidentally change settings. Since my hunting rifles are all .30 cal or larger diameter, I match MRAD to Mildot for hands free visual instantaneous corrections. What's on your Hunting Rifles?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    None of that crap. It's a hunting rifle. Won't see me lugging that crap around that you're talking about :) A hundred yards is a long shot in the bush, nevermind two hundred yards. Any scope with any reticle zeroed for 200 yards will work for hunting. Get the cheap lightweight scope with turrets that have screw-on caps to cover the adjustment. Set it and forget it. There's no worries about bullet drop within 200 yards with any hunting caliber over a 22. Unless you're hunting in a hurricane there's no reason to touch your scope for windage with any shot under 200 yards, either. You're hunting, not punching paper at 500 yards. Most if not all 30 calibers run out of enough killing power past 2-300 yards to humanely dispatch big game. Keep the 1,000 yard benchrest gun on the KD range. You won't want to lug a 20" heavy barrel around the woods anyways, nevermind the benchrest scope that weighs twice as much as the basic non high speed non tactical scope

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    None of that crap. It's a hunting rifle. Won't see me lugging that crap around that you're talking about :) A hundred yards is a long shot in the bush, nevermind two hundred yards. Any scope with any reticle zeroed for 200 yards will work for hunting. Get the cheap lightweight scope with turrets that have screw-on caps to cover the adjustment. Set it and forget it. There's no worries about bullet drop within 200 yards with any hunting caliber over a 22. Unless you're hunting in a hurricane there's no reason to touch your scope for windage with any shot under 200 yards, either. You're hunting, not punching paper at 500 yards. Most if not all 30 calibers run out of enough killing power past 2-300 yards to humanely dispatch big game. Keep the 1,000 yard benchrest gun on the KD range. You won't want to lug a 20" heavy barrel around the woods anyways, nevermind the benchrest scope that weighs twice as much as the basic non high speed non tactical scope
    For the record, none of my hunting rifles have scopes. They aren't even needed on any big game under 200 yards. I save a ton of weight and there's no worries about knocking loose anything or breaking anything or scratching anything. If you're afraid to beat on your rifle then you bought the wrong rifle for hunting. The gun industry removing iron sights from hunting rifles was a ploy to get hunters to spend just as much as the rifle is worth on a scope. Period. The biggest con I've ever seen

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once upon a time I could shoot the 1200 yard line with iron sights, nowadays 50 Yards is the limit for irons. Getting Old Ain't for sissies! So for those of US that rely on glass, what scope? It's a long Sea Story, but I couldn't bring myself to put Glass on a lever action. So I found a Mini-30 instead.

Attachments

• IMG_20190730_185726.jpg
      IMG_20190730_185726.jpg
      315.6 KB · Views: 48
    Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Perhaps the Scout Concept for woodland work and the occasional stand over the marsh? As long as its set up with quick detach rings (Warne) it only takes a moment to switch back to irons.

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_214331439.jpg
      IMG_20221120_214331439.jpg
      263.4 KB · Views: 47
    • IMG_20221121_140100923.jpg
      IMG_20221121_140100923.jpg
      244.8 KB · Views: 46
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom