• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well all the videos I see let you hear the shooters hear but not the animals, many times a suppressor hit/shot will confuse the hogs and they are not sure the direction of the shot and run right to you. This guy that made the 2 videos is a hunter with hunters perspective and has over 2000 hog kills.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    MDGC0357.jpg

It may be because it was a yearling. It may be because of the less noise or a combination thereof, but here's a deer near the older doe that was just shot using a suppressed 6.8 AR at my brother's Georgia farm. I was in a blind 50yd away. I had no idea my brother had a trail camera setup at the field until he brought back the picture card when he took his ATV to pick up the doe. The ammo was supersonic. The doe ran away when I got out of the blind. Suppressors are legal for game hunting in Georgia as of July 1, 2014.

Attachments

• MDGC0357.jpg
      MDGC0357.jpg
      279.4 KB · Views: 172

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting study in sound recorded at the target. I have often thought the impact would be the loud part of the process after listning to the impact on a paper target. I thought that sound would be enough to scare the critters off and that appears to be illustrated by the recordings. Only thing is, a very real possibility of the hogs being confused and running towards you due to the suppressor.

By the way, the last shot on the downed hog target was not, as reported, a miss. If you watch close the bullet strikes the body high and clearly goes under the skin. In that instance of comparing the sound of a miss VS a hit, the sound is the same, because there was no miss. Still a good informative series.
    Ed

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah the confusion factor is the most obvious as it seem the animals do not know the direction the shot came from as easily as unsuppressed. The sound is also one they are not familiar with and may not elicit the fear and flight response.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have also been concerned about the sound of the AR's action with a full function. You do not hear it much with a full power round, but go to a subsonic with a suppressor and the AR is pretty noisy with its clatter and springs going twangggg. I might have to work on that with some leather or rubber.
    Ed

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I sometimes think about working up an expanding subsonic 300BLK load for hunting with, to further reduce the noise, but then subsonics certainly have their limits (more curved trajectory and less energy and having to lead a running animal more). This video makes me wonder if subsonics would be that much quieter (to the animal) than suppressed supersonic. Maybe the way the microphone was aimed meant it didn't pick up the sonic crack or maybe the sonic crack ended at the hit animal. Maybe I just need to try and see what happens.

Top Bottom